Next Retina MBP's -- with Anti Glare option?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sparkie7, Jun 29, 2013.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

What are the chances  will offer an AG/Matte display option for the next revision that's expected soon?

I cannot stand that glass mirror on current MBPs as standard :rolleyes:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say the odds are pretty slim. FWIW, I found the rMBP displays not to be as glossy as the cMBP's glossy display.

3. petereoin macrumors member

I have to agree with Mike.
    I use my rmbp in stadiums, outdoor events etc and find the glare is greatly reduced from the cmbp (not totally eliminated)

4. Idefix macrumors 6502

Apple is correct that the glare is reduced in the rMBP, but it's still got glare.

Which is why I compared it to an anti-glare high res in the Apple Store, and bought the anti-glare high res instead.

It'll takes years (if ever!) before anti-glare comes back.

5. maxosx macrumors 68020

Apple is focused on the consumer market where shiny toys sell.

6. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

In that case they should call it the Macbook Con. LOL :D Instead of the Macbook Pro :p

----------

Why have  gotten rid of the AG option? So we are stuck with 3rd party overlays? How crap :mad:

7. maxosx macrumors 68020

Bravo :)

My 15" mid 2010 MBP with Hi-Res, Anti-Glare is a stellar display.

The frustration of Apples blind eye towards anything other than obscene profits is unlikely to allow them to build a true enthusiast / pro model. They have traditionally shunned providing choices other that what they think is best. Sadly the cult like programming of their followers has been so effective that even those individuals have bought into Apples hype. No longer thinking for themselves they look to Apple for guidance. Apple builds it, they buy it, no thinking required. :D

8. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

Cheap TN panel, bad view angles, wash-out colours, mediocre resolution, LED-backlit.
    Yeah. Stellar!:rolleyes:

9. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

thats a dmb move

ive had ag and upgradaed to retina there is no comparison, the retina is much ebtter, colors, quality and obviously reslution, everything is better

10. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

wouldn't that actually cause the retina to lose its detail?

11. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

You're making it sound like those very dark and image retaining retina displays are perfect.

I hope the rMBP 2.0 will have brighter displays and the image retention issues solved. ( I have experienced the image retention issues, hence why i don't have a rMBP yet )

12. jcpb macrumors 6502a

The only reason you'd ever want a matte display is you're always using the device outdoors. In this case, what matters is you get a readable screen while outside, all the other bits don't matter.

The reasons you don't want a matte display are "all the other bits".

----------

Unless you have the equipment to optically bond the 3rd party matte overlays, you're only going to make the screen worse than if you leave it alone.

13. leman macrumors 604

There was an interesting post here, which unfortunately I was unable to locate. Basically, the poster said (if I understood them correctly) that it is not possible to coat the rMBP display because of the way its constructed (single glass sheet). I don't know nearly enough about display technology to comment on that claim.

As far as practice goes, the 'proper' matte screen is just as usable as the rMBP one - the later does have some reflection, but it works fine outdoors (as long as you are in a shade etc.) - while both of them utterly fail outside of shade. What we need are displays which do not need backlights ;)

14. serenesam macrumors member

serenesam

I used to be a huge fan of Anti-Glare but now I like glossy better. You just get used to it and the colors look a thousand times better. Glossy IPS is just amazing........

15. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Now I know why I haven't bothered cleaning out my Firefox browsing history. Posts like yours put me into digging mode. Took awhile but found it.

16. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Thanks jcpb.

Those photos do show the difference. So how does the rMBP compare to the MBA in terms of reflectiveness/mirroring?

17. pgiguere1, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013

pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Both have a specular reflection but the rMBP is more reflective due to the use of glass. The MBA uses plastic which is less reflective but not perfectly flat so the distortion is often distorted a bit (like a distorting mirror).

Overall the rMBP's display is a lot better than the MBA's despite the glare. I also like it more than the matte cMBP's even if you don't take resolution into account. It has much lower reflectance. The reflection type is specular rather than diffuse like some people would prefer but there's no doubt that the amount of light reflected itself is lower than on a matte cMBP.

See the middle picture in the long post up there. You can barely see what's on the top left of the cMBP and it's all gray and washed out. Meanwhile the top right of the rMBP is legible and colors stay accurate.

I can understand why people find diffuse reflections less distracting (you only see white gradient rather than actual shapes) but I personally find the trade off of getting lower reflectance, better color saturation and deeper blacks well worth it. I also read somewhere that the anti-glare filter's grain (microscopic bumps) create some some of refraction that decreases sharpness on high-density monitors, but I don't know if that's true.

18. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Before the glassy MBPs came out, everyone was 100% happy with the matte displays. So now its a hard choice, if you want a less reflective screen you have to go rMBP but without the internal upgradeability.

19. CaptHenryMorgan macrumors regular

None. Apple will continue to brag about how "anti-glare" the retina is. Even though it's total crap in the glare dept compared to the older matte display.

20. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

And from reports you can't apply a matte film/overlay on a retina display b/c it screws up the visibility. so we're in between a rock and a hard place. so why doesn't  re-introduce an AG option. Too lazy?

21. CaptHenryMorgan macrumors regular

Oh good you're back and as adorably naive and misinformed as ever. Gods forbid you do any of MY design or graphics work. You're telling me that the retina beats a matte display in glare? You haven't seen this have you...

[​IMG]

22. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

LOLOL you are as sarky as hell. But right on this one.

So the middle machine is the retina MBP?

23. CaptHenryMorgan macrumors regular

Arrogance

----------

What does "sarkey" mean? And for that matter, what is LOLOL? I haven't seen that since I chatted with my kid sister in 2003.

24. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

i dont understand why you need to be rude and troll me. guy who "has all iphoes, all ipods, and all macs" you think your top dog because of that?

in regards to yourpicture, you proved my point. apple much improved the glare compared to the original glossy macbook.

and im sure you as a designer would love to work with a screen that you can barely see outdoors judging by your pic "captainknowitall"