Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
No reason to use safari on a PPC mac anyways. TenFourFox is far superior anyways. :cool:

Not sure why there are a few so high on TFF. I find the G3/G4/G5 builds of Camino far superior overall. Faster, less memory footprint and much more of a native Mac look and feel than any FF offspring.

Although based on the Mozilla project at certain levels Camino is much more it's own app compared to TFF or other FF offspring. TFF is simply the end result of a PowerPC coder that obviously likes FF and want to keep it going and performing well. I respect that a lot but Camino is still better.

Even my very computer illiterate Aunt with her G4 500MHz running 10.4 loves Camino for G4 7400 chips and can tell it's better.

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009
Not sure why there are a few so high on TFF. I find the G3/G4/G5 builds of Camino far superior overall. Faster, less memory footprint and much more of a native Mac look and feel than any FF offspring.

Although based on the Mozilla project at certain levels Camino is much more it's own app compared to TFF or other FF offspring. TFF is simply the end result of a PowerPC coder that obviously likes FF and want to keep it going and performing well. I respect that a lot but Camino is still better.

No I totally understand where you are coming from and I still use Camino but I like the look and feel of TFF better. To each his own I guess. :rolleyes:

SuperJudge

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
The Triangle, NC

Even my very computer illiterate Aunt with her G4 500MHz running 10.4 loves Camino for G4 7400 chips and can tell it's better.

For me, it's rather simple: I know that Camino is the better browser (I used it extensively when I first started using Macs as my primary machines about 6 or 7 years back), but I've gotten so used to Firefox from my Linux boxen and my Intel Macs at work, it's hard to not have things like NoScript and Greasemonkey Plus, it works with Firefox Sync which is easily the best feature added in FF4. Browsing across four machines and a smartphone that get used regularly would be a much bigger pain in the ass without it.

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2007
Here is the latest WebKit r91186-[NERD-ZooN,inc]™ for PPC 10.5 Leopard only. replace it in the apps folder

WebKit r91186-[NERD-ZooN,inc]™ for PPC 10.5 Leopard

And where is this coming from? Explanation?

I have still found no announcement that Webkit or Safari is going Intel only.
I understand why Apple isn't saying anything. That's par for the course.

But why doesn't Webkit.org have some warning that upgrading your Webkit nightly will BRICK it?

That's just crazy. I googled all around for a PowerPC nightly of Webkit and could not find one.

As for the suggestions for Camino, I will check those out. Thanks.

As for all the insults like "My Mini is 10X faster than your G5 and I only paid $200",
"Why don't you just move up to 2011", etc... I'll just let those comments stand on their own lack of validity.

I have an Intel Mac, but I've done enough reading to know that replacing my high end G5 home media server with 2TB and upgraded graphics to a $200 used old Mini, well that's just insane and the new Mini doesn't even have a SuperDrive, so I see no point.

At some point, I will upgrade to a Mac Pro, if Apple even sells them anymore by then.

PS: That file appears to have the same date as the r89812 release, yet it is half the size ???
That seems odd since my last PPC version is Xslimmed and this is still twice the size ???
I'm confused.

Last edited:

urbanrave

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
Sweden
And where is this coming from? Explanation?

I have still found no announcement that Webkit or Safari is going Intel only.
I understand why Apple isn't saying anything. That's par for the course.

But why doesn't Webkit.org have some warning that upgrading your Webkit nightly will BRICK it?

That's just crazy. I googled all around for a PowerPC nightly of Webkit and could not find one.

As for the suggestions for Camino, I will check those out. Thanks.

As for all the insults like "My Mini is 10X faster than your G5 and I only paid $200",
"Why don't you just move up to 2011", etc... I'll just let those comments stand on their own lack of validity.

I have an Intel Mac, but I've done enough reading to know that replacing my high end G5 home media server with 2TB and upgraded graphics to a $200 used old Mini, well that's just insane and the new Mini doesn't even have a SuperDrive, so I see no point.

At some point, I will upgrade to a Mac Pro, if Apple even sells them anymore by then.

PS: That file appears to have the same date as the r89812 release, yet it is half the size ???
That seems odd since my last PPC version is Xslimmed and this is still twice the size ???
I'm confused.

use it if u want. im using it... and the size is bekose i have super duper Xslimmed the file.... daaah=? o_O

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Apple discontinued their PowerPC compiler, which is likely why the nighties are now Intel only. It's either that or they stick with an older compiler that produces less optimized code.

This alone should be a major reason to get off PowerPC. It won't be long before developers won't even have tools to write PowerPC apps anymore.

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2007
Apple discontinued their PowerPC compiler, which is likely why the nighties are now Intel only. It's either that or they stick with an older compiler that produces less optimized code.

This alone should be a major reason to get off PowerPC. It won't be long before developers won't even have tools to write PowerPC apps anymore.

Ok, does that mean Xbox development is ended too?
It does use PowerPC chips last I checked.

And by the way, I did try out the G5 optimized version of Camino and I'm using it now in fact and it is incredibly faster than Apple's Safari, so clearly Apple and Webkit.org have thrown Safari for PowerPC under the bus.

And guess what? FLASH video from Youtube plays better as well in Camino TOO!

So I think I'm officially switching browsers now for all my PowerPC machines.
I'll still use Safari on the Intel Mac for now, but this Camino build proves Steve Jobs claims of Safari being the fastest browser on the earth are bunk.

Camino beats it on an OLDER MAC! LOL

urbanrave

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
Sweden

And by the way, I did try out the G5 optimized version of Camino and I'm using it now in fact and it is incredibly faster than Apple's Safari, so clearly Apple and Webkit.org have thrown Safari for PowerPC under the bus.

And guess what? FLASH video from Youtube plays better as well in Camino TOO!

So I think I'm officially switching browsers now for all my PowerPC machines.
I'll still use Safari on the Intel Mac for now, but this Camino build proves Steve Jobs claims of Safari being the fastest browser on the earth are bunk.

Camino beats it on an OLDER MAC! LOL

Nope, u are SO wrong. here is acid 3 test from Safari/WebKit

upshotmjwahfwo.png

And here is from Camino with same pages open...

upshotlyinwz8z.png

So i say WebKit wins, camino blääää!!!! LOL
And if u want smooter YouTube on your PPC mac go in to http://www.youtube.com/html5 and activate it, then u get the html5 verision of YouTube..... but u maby alredy know that....

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Keep in mind this is the 5.0x Safari/Webkit and not the current 5.1 that is truly Intel only.

I ran an available Safari update on my Sawtooth G4 about 4-5 days ago that updated it to 5.06. My point is that even Apple released this and it would be more stable than nightly builds.

JoniLW

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2009
Souther Cal
I feel pity for those people bashing the powerpc's. Before your intel macs there were the powerpc's. And they are not yet "dead" as you would like to imply.

Apple woould like to kill it to get more sales on the hardware. Apple is a hardware company not a software like microsoft. If they would end support for old hardwares, that would force "consumers" to buy the latest. Thereby forcing "us" to buy the latest h/w.

That is where the frustration of the OP came from. And in my opinion Apple should not be doing towards its loyal customers who doesn't want to upgrade.

The "latest" and the "greatest" is not needed at all for web browsing. I think everybody would agree with me.

Old post yes. But my exact sentiments. I have a G5 and its not ready for any junk heap. It moves quickly... I don't need to be impressed by lightning speed. What I need to be impressed by is the product support of Apple. I feel that Apple is about the most money hungry bunch of thieves, ever.

I had a performa 460 that lasted longer than any of these new machines. Lasted longer in all the updates, patches, fixits. So why is that Apple so easily abandon those of us who gave them that one chance to try their product? I can't stay in love with a product that will cost me 3 month's rent, to purchase ever 2 years. Screw that.

PC's aren't as expensive and they aren't slouches. I own both a PC and an Mac. 80 % of my time is spent on the PC because I can't do anything with my G5 anymore that is cost effective.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
All the time I use my Macs to get the job done(I don't personally own a PC anymore). I have PC at work. To me apple is ditching support because as I have said previously they are making money out of hardware not software. So if they can force the consumer to buy brand new hardware every so often, that will be good to the company. Other reason is apple is a listed company, the company is bound to do every concievable way to earn money to satisfy it shareholder. So goodbye with the Safari support for PPC. 5.0.6 might be the last update that we can get.

Anyway, about the other browsers, Camino specifically compiled for G5 is really faster than Safari, starting up and loading a page, I don't have the numbers to prove but they are way faster visually. Camino plays flash content better than Safari, the only downside, it doesn't support html5 video content. It plays hulu better than Safari... :D

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2007
Keep in mind this is the 5.0x Safari/Webkit and not the current 5.1 that is truly Intel only.

I ran an available Safari update on my Sawtooth G4 about 4-5 days ago that updated it to 5.06. My point is that even Apple released this and it would be more stable than nightly builds.

I found the Safari 5.05 release from Apple less stable than the last PowerPC Webkit build and I normally run both simultaneously due to running multiple websites/blogs on the same sites and the need to separate cookies. I will extensively check out Safari 5.06, but I seriously doubt it will improve performance on PowerPC machines, but maybe stability.

Now as for Camino vs. Safari on Acid3, I've never used the test and I don't deal in George W.'s fuzzy math.

The facts on the ground speak for themselves on all the websites I normally go to including Youtube and Facebook, among others. An optimized G5 Camino build is significantly faster than Apple's universal binary build of Safari. That's not my opinion, it's just reality. Now if I compared the standard Camino build vs. the standard Apple Safari build, well maybe it would be different, but I think I just found my browser of choice now that Apple is discontinuing Safari for PowerPC and I like the speed.

And as for the suggestion of using the HTML5 version of Youtube instead, everything I've read about HTML5 vs. FLASH has proven that HTML5 videos are larger, so I doubt that would be that much of a difference and last I checked there is no HTML5 version of Facebook.

Finally, there are several things that bother me most about this whole issue...

#1: Apple has made no announcement to its customers, yet continues to update Safari for Windows XP.
#2: Webkit.org made no official announcement of dropping PowerPC support in Webkit either, at least not on their main webpage.
#3: Webkit updates actually BRICKED Webkit for PowerPC users when the trunk change happened without warning. That's just insulting to my intelligence and makes me want to scream, "What AHOLES!"

PS: And even Macrumors.com runs faster on an optimized G5 Camino build than on the latest Safari. If this works as well on a G4 (which I've yet to test), I'm switching some relatives and friends away from SAFARI (people who only use their computers for webmail as that's also faster on Camino than Safari).

Last edited:

JoniLW

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2009
Souther Cal
Anyway, about the other browsers, Camino specifically compiled for G5 is really faster than Safari, starting up and loading a page, I don't have the numbers to prove but they are way faster visually. Camino plays flash content better than Safari, the only downside, it doesn't support html5 video content. It plays hulu better than Safari...

I am using Camino right now. ;) have to agree with that.

Gmail is acting up too. Its now only loading for upgraded Firefox (which I am not using... because I've run out of options for even that... with 10.3.9, but hey, never mind that :p ) and it still has the same behavior as if Camino was firefox.

I can't upgrade anything using panther. For internet use, this machine is about dead. For everything else... its all good. And I can't afford leopard. So... what to do? know where I can get someone's old leopard upgrade? *LOL*

*sigh*

urbanrave

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
Sweden
I found the Safari 5.05 release from Apple less stable than the last PowerPC Webkit build and I normally run both simultaneously due to running multiple websites/blogs on the same sites and the need to separate cookies. I will extensively check out Safari 5.06, but I seriously doubt it will improve performance on PowerPC machines, but maybe stability.

Now as for Camino vs. Safari on Acid3, I've never used the test and I don't deal in George W.'s fuzzy math.

The facts on the ground speak for themselves on all the websites I normally go to including Youtube and Facebook, among others. An optimized G5 Camino build is significantly faster than Apple's universal binary build of Safari. That's not my opinion, it's just reality. Now if I compared the standard Camino build vs. the standard Apple Safari build, well maybe it would be different, but I think I just found my browser of choice now that Apple is discontinuing Safari for PowerPC and I like the speed.

And as for the suggestion of using the HTML5 version of Youtube instead, everything I've read about HTML5 vs. FLASH has proven that HTML5 videos are larger, so I doubt that would be that much of a difference and last I checked there is no HTML5 version of Facebook.

Finally, there are several things that bother me most about this whole issue...

#1: Apple has made no announcement to its customers, yet continues to update Safari for Windows XP.
#2: Webkit.org made no official announcement of dropping PowerPC support in Webkit either, at least not on their main webpage.
#3: Webkit updates actually BRICKED Webkit for PowerPC users when the trunk change happened without warning. That's just insulting to my intelligence and makes me want to scream, "What AHOLES!"

PS: And even Macrumors.com runs faster on an optimized G5 Camino build than on the latest Safari. If this works as well on a G4 (which I've yet to test), I'm switching some relatives and friends away from SAFARI (people who only use their computers for webmail as that's also faster on Camino than Safari).

the Webkit updates dont BRICK it like u are saying, u make it sound like its ower forever. u can just tanke the old one from trach and put it back an applications folder.

And HTML5 videos are maby larger but if u activate it on YT it will run much smoother... i have a PowerBook G4 1.5GHz and when i wach a youtube web klip it is wery slow, but with html5 it runs like hell. and Flash is soon ower, in a near future html5 is going to dominate. and flash will be ower.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004

Apple doesn't use Microsoft's compilers, how is this relevant?

PowerPC compilers still exist, but Apple no longer supports or supplies them for Mac OS X. That's how it works. Even if there are PowerPC compilers, Apple still has to write a PowerPC runtime for the latest versions of Cocoa.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Anyone still interested in PowerPC development on Mac simply just needs to use a slightly older Xcode. Since any apps made now for PowerPC are going to run on older hardware and pre-10.6 OS it wouldn't matter at all that it's outdated. Only if you wanted to make it universal and work in 10.6/10.7 also.

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Honestly, I don't care if Apple decides to drop support for Safari in the near future. There are far superior browsers optimized for PPC.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Nope, u are SO wrong. here is acid 3 test from Safari/WebKit

Yeah, as if the Acid 3 test had a darn thing to do with real world features on a browser. That is SO something that a person would say if they had no clue about browsers. Firefox 5 is way better than Safari in a lot of ways and it isn't 100 on Acid 3 either and it doesn't matter in the real world. :rolleyes:

Frankly, I'm more concerned about iTunes being supported on PowerPC than Safari. iTunes 10.4 works on PowerPC, but I had a freeze within an hour of installing it (while the same PowerMac had run for 4 months without a reset before that point so iTunes is the likely culprit. An earlier version behaved similarly unstable and I so I had stuck with iTunes 10.1 for quite some time, but I finally tried iTunes 10.3.1 a few weeks ago and surprisingly, it is just as stable as 10.1 as far as I can tell so I was disappointed to find 10.4 seemingly unstable (I reverted back to 10.3.1 for now).

Meanwhile, I had also upgraded to Safari 5.0.6 on the same PowerMac the same time as iTunes 10.4 at least that version of Safari still supports PowerPC (10.4 iTunes isn't 64-bit on anything but Lion, so obviously they've forked off the builds to some extent for now).

Last edited:

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
I simply refuse to throw out a superior machine like a high end tricked out PowerMac G5 for a low end slower less capable Mac Mini.

Why not just keep the software as is - it's working for you, isn't it? You don't always have to be on the latest software release to be able to use it...

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Why not just keep the software as is - it's working for you, isn't it? You don't always have to be on the latest software release to be able to use it...

What you're saying is very true for a lot of creative apps like music, video or photography based stuff. When it comes to security and compatibility the browser is the one app you want to keep as current as possible.

This is why Camino is a better option. The PowerPC optimized builds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.