Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kb152

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Doesn't this seem like the logical next step? iPhone 3g will be able to read iWork documents. If everyone who ordered iWork got MobileMe for free (or vice versa), and the iPhone was brought up to read/write capability for iWork documents, then Apple would be competing directly with google services.

The more I think about it, the more the new service and iWork seem like two sides of the same coin. In fact, I start to wonder if either can be truly successful without the other.

ryan

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2002
Denver, CO
That's what Cringely predicted in his column his column last week:

Given the code Apple already has for its iWork applications, how much more effort would it take to webify those apps, too? Not much, I'd say. A year from now I guarantee you that MobileMe will offer a complete suite of web-based Office applications.

antibact1

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
Basic economics - this will never happen. They have two products that people will buy, one of which requires an annual subscription. Why merge them together and make less profit? Also, MobileMe offers far more than just Office functionality.

kb152

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Basic economics - this will never happen. They have two products that people will buy, one of which requires an annual subscription. Why merge them together and make less profit? Also, MobileMe offers far more than just Office functionality.

merging them would bring them to a much larger audience. the big question everyone (who isn't a macaholic) asks when presented with MobileMe/.Mac is, "why should i pay for what i can get from google for free?"

there would be some loss of profit, but i'm not convinced this wouldn't be more than made up for in the number of people that would be brought into apple's orbit. the "halo effect." i think it would get a lot more macs in people's homes and offices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.