Next substantial iMac upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ceres, Mar 19, 2009.

1. ceres macrumors regular

obviously we have just witnessed an interim upgrade once more reliant on
    moribund processor technology. I´d also assume that core image quality has not been bumped to where it once was (white 24incher, I´d love to hear differently). The new MP is disappointing in terms of pricing so at some point I´d like to buy an iMac again. This moment will probably the introduction of LED lit screens (uniformity being my main concern) and quad core processing.
    Does anyone have a conjecture when this might manifest?

Thanks!

2. RichardI macrumors 6502a

RichardI

Moribund??? Jeeze I had to look that one up.:rolleyes:

Anyway, I will not be "upgrading" until I see 2 things on the iMac:
    - Quad core processor
    - 18x optical drive

Rich :cool:

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It uses a laptop drive. This will never happen.

4. RichardI macrumors 6502a

RichardI

Ahhh. Now at least it makes sense. But why will it never happen? Components get smaller and smaller all the time. Why never?

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Optical drives and disk media will stop being used entirely before laptop versions reach 18x.

6. macadociousone macrumors newbie

I see the next substantial hardware upgrade happening along with a complete redesign in September/October. It might be the ultimate combination of recently released new OS, i7 processor, and new iMac design. Doesn't that sound good?

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nope.

1. No redesign for years.
    2. No Core i7; Arrandale in Q1 2010.

8. ceres thread starter macrumors regular

If it´s a real quad core machine - yes
    If not Q1 2010 which is okay. I can wait a year.
    See you then.

9. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

The quad core I can understand holding out for, but why the optical drive? You can buy a 20x external for less than $50.

10. ceres thread starter macrumors regular

+1 expecially bc most of the quality readings I have seen on 16+ recordings show many errors. There is so much junk floating around in terms of recordable dvds that even buying brand names doesn´t guarantee proper 16+ burns.
    In 2010 we should have br burners ;) These we could actually call superdrives again.

11. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

Whackintosh

The two changes I think we can bet on seeing eventually would be an LED display and aluminum backsides replacing the current black plastic ones (both to unify the looks between lines and displays, and to further push their green aspect).

12. ceres thread starter macrumors regular

BTW, will USB 3.0 have reached mass market by q1 2010?

13. RichardI macrumors 6502a

RichardI

Absolutely I can, and did - a Lacie with Lightscribe. But, I shouldn't have to.

14. trip1ex macrumors 68000

They just released an update. It's going to be awhile before the next one. Check back in at the end of the year.

15. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Well, I won't argue that an optical drive isn't essential (it is, if only for installing software), but why should an 18x drive be standard equipment, exactly? The slower ones that are there now are adequate, and if you want more power in this rather secondary component, I'd argue you SHOULD have to get your own.

16. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Quad-core in 2011. Q3 2010 if we're lucky.

I wish. But they probably won't use Clarksfield given that the existing iMacs don't use Penryn quad-core. As Tallest Skil said, the next update will have Arrandale in early 2010.

17. colickyboy macrumors member

I'm pretty ignorant on these processor names. When I looked up Arrandale, this article said Arrandale is still a dual-core processor (albeit with four threads). If so, this still isn't a quad-core processor, is it?

18. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Nope.

19. colickyboy macrumors member

So if Tallest Skil is saying Q1 2010 for Arrandale and Arrandale isn't a quad-core processor, then we're likely looking at late 2010 or maybe even early 2011 for quad-core iMacs?

20. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Well not necessarily. He doesn't have any more information about future Apple products than anyone else. There's no technical reason Apple couldn't put a Core 2 Quad or an i7 (or next year's darling) into an iMac sooner than that. They just haven't up to now.

21. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

In absolute theory, Apple can put a modern desktop processor into an iMac, and compensate by making it a little fatter.

But that's not going to happen, If apple could they'd have a 2mm thick OLED screen and build all the components inside a tiny hump to connect the stand too ;)

22. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

You all are forgeting about the i5 CPUs. These will also have Quad-core (OK, two stitched Dual-Cores) versions.

23. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Either one sounds interesting. If they go with Arrandale, I wonder what speeds it will be clocked at?

And the Core i7? We know that's a good one.

Anyway, a top end 4 core setup (single quad core "whatever" or two dual cores) for the next iMac would be nice.

24. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Yup. I mentioned Q3 2010 as well, because the Clarksfield may go 32 nm in mid 2010. If so, then that might bring the clock speed / performance increases and low(er) prices for Apple to put them into the iMac line (they'll probably put quad-core in the whole line, since apparently Apple doesn't want to put lower-clocked quads and higher-clocked duals in the iMacs).

That's right. And with the Nehalem (Clarksfield/Arrandale) dual-core/quad-core division looking to be similar to the Penryn dual-core/quad-core division, since we don't have quad-core iMacs now, I don't see quad-core iMacs then.

They're true quad-cores. And I don't think the Clarksfield (mobile Core i5) will be used in the iMac because of likely low clock speeds and the lack of Penryn quad-core in the current iMacs.

Since it's 32 nm, I'd expect it to have higher clocks. It looks like it'll replace the whole Penryn dual-core line (except for the XE).

Definitely! But I think we may have to be prepared for the possibility of this not happening for another 2 years. :(