Next update for 13" MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FriedMac, Nov 11, 2011.

  1. FriedMac macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2011
    #1
    Hello,

    Given the recent lackluster upgrade to the 13" MacBook Pro on October 31, 2011, which was just a 0.1 GHz increase in processor power, I was wondering what the speculation was for the next real upgrade. I read that Intel's next generation of high-performance mobile processors will likely be released in the second quarter of 2012. When do you think Mac will give a full upgrade to the 13" model? Is it worth waiting for?
     
  2. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #2
    March-April sounds likely, as that is when the next generation Intel CPUs will be released. There are no components for an update before that.
     
  3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

    Naimfan

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    #3
    Perhaps you missed that the hard drive was upgraded to a 500 GB from a 320 GB? And that all of them now have SATA 3 in the optical drive bay?

    No one except Apple knows what the next 13" will be. Speculation based on Intel roadmaps strongly suggest that the next 13" will use Ivy Bridge, but beyond that anything is sheer speculation.
     
  4. warvanov macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2011
    #4
    You can find dozens of threads full of speculation about the next MBP update.

    It's pretty clear that the next update will bring us the next generation of Intel processors: Ivy Bridge. According to some this is a major update in itself, but others see it as just an incremental update. Some speculate that we'll see a complete redesign of the MBP line, dropping the optical drive, moving to something more similar to an extension of the MacBook Air line. Others expect to see the MBP keep the same form factor with just the addition of Bluetooth 4 and maybe a few other tweaks. There's really no way to know at this point. Maybe we'll have a clearer picture closer to the release, but right now that's probably 8-10 months away.
     
  5. FriedMac thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2011
    #5
    Actually, I did not see that reported. Thanks for the info.

    Really? You think it'll be that long? Because I've seen a lot of tech sites speculating a late spring release. Like:

    Overall, do you think the upgrade will be significant enough that it's worth the wait if I can handle it?
     
  6. warvanov macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2011
    #6
    If you look at the buyer's guide for the MBP the time between releases has been pretty consistently every 8-10 months. Maybe we'll see the refresh in April, but that's still 6 months away. If you're counting on an update in March or April then you might end up being upset if you have to wait until July or August.

    If you need a new computer now and can't get buy without one, then upgrade. If your current computer is adequate for your needs, then wait.
     
  7. CorporateFelon macrumors regular

    CorporateFelon

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2007
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #7
    I know some people will think USB3 will be worth the wait. Whether or not that is important to you is the main question. There will be better performance, but nothing earth shattering.
     

Share This Page