Next Update TO Macbook & MB Pro?

pork917

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
19
1
I'm looking into buying my first Apple computer after loving my iPhone for the past week. I know you cant always wait for the newest one since there will always be a newer version but I want to get the next revision of either. I'm just wondering what will be the rumored updates to the next mb and mb-pro and when they are expected. Ive done research on macrumors and appleinsider but havn't found a lot of info besides the next MB being thinner which I would rather wait for.

Also any word on this rumor: "an ultra-portable MacBook Pro model will soon debut"
 

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
2,360
1
Maine
I'm looking into buying my first Apple computer after loving my iPhone for the past week. I know you cant always wait for the newest one since there will always be a newer version but I want to get the next revision of either. I'm just wondering what will be the rumored updates to the next mb and mb-pro and when they are expected. Ive done research on macrumors and appleinsider but havn't found a lot of info besides the next MB being thinner which I would rather wait for.
not sure about the macbook pro but the macbook will get SR chips and some LED displays and maybe thinner
 

rcarricato

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2007
12
0
Harrisburg, PA
Macbook and MBP were just updated so your prolly gonna have to wait a while until the next revision.

(Unless the ultra-portable rumors are true......) :rolleyes:
 

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
7,849
36
(Unless the ultra-portable rumors are true......) :rolleyes:
Yeah, that rumor has been "true" for a few years now;)

OP, if you need it now, buy it now. If you can wait until late October/November, then wait till then. Just remember that the updates aren't on a clock. You may have to wait a little longer before the mbps are updated. Just something to think about before you make your decision.
 

thebrain74

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
225
0
MBP's were JUST updated, so they won't get it for awhile, I would guess not before Macworld in Jan and possibly later. Macbooks have a chance at an upgrade during the Paris Expo. But AFAIK, the rumors seen to dictate a focus by apple on desktops in the near future (such as the new iMac......and maybe the all-but-forgotten Mac Mini). But when the Macbooks do get updated, it will be SR, I would doubt much thinner, but prob with LEB BL displays. In any case if you can wait, just wait until Oct and the Leopard release, so your covered if something (doubtful) happens in that time frame, and if nothing doesn't you can get your computer and not have to pay for leopard



BTW if your looking into a MBP, I am typing on one of the new ones and...umm.....freaking awesome, I personally wouldn't wait to buy one of these if thats what you were looking into
 

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
7,849
36
I doubt the MacBook will get thinner. Also, I would say we would see updates around January.
I agree that they can't get any thinner, but January just doesn't sit well with me. For some reason, I've noticed that Apple usually updates notebooks before Christmas time. November seems like a better time to me.
 

rockosmodurnlif

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2007
1,058
68
New York, NY
Patience. There will be more accurate rumors about the upcoming line's launch when the date gets closer. Reading rumors now is like poking yourself in the eye so you don't walk into a wall.
 

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
7,849
36
Patience. There will be more accurate rumors about the upcoming line's launch when the date gets closer. Reading rumors now is like poking yourself in the eye so you don't walk into a wall.
Tell me about it. These machines right now are so amazing. I can't imagine waiting. My waiting experience was painful. I advise all of you who are waiting to switch, just go for it!!!! Trust me.
 

boobooq88

macrumors regular
May 12, 2007
147
0
Well there isnt anything wrong with buying now since the macbook pros were just updated about a month ago and the macbooks almost 2 months but I am assuming you still would prefer to wait. So my opinion would be that they won't be updated until january or february for macbook pros and I would guess novemberish for the regular macbooks. I say january for MBPs because intel will be releasing a new architecure around that time (Penryn?). Also there probably won't be anything worthy of putting in a revision of the MBPs until then anyway.

The macbooks should get updaed before that though because there a few technologies that are available that are somewaht worthy of an update. These I would assume to be in the next update:

1) LED backlit screen
2) Intel's Santa Rosa platform
3) Intel's X3100 (or maybe newer if available) GPU

Basically, if you don't need it now and can wait a little while I would say wait. But if you want one sooner there is absolutely nothing wrong with buying the current ones now. But remember the longer you wait the more it is worth it to wait until the next revision.
 

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
7,849
36
Well there isnt anything wrong with buying now since the macbook pros were just updated about a month ago and the macbooks almost 2 months but I am assuming you still would prefer to wait. So my opinion would be that they won't be updated until january or february for macbook pros and I would guess novemberish for the regular macbooks. I say january for MBPs because intel will be releasing a new architecure around that time (Montevina). Also there probably won't be anything worthy of putting in a revision of the MBPs until then anyway.

The macbooks should get updaed before that though because there a few technologies that are available that are somewaht worthy of an update. These I would assume to be in the next update:

1) LED backlit screen
2) Intel's Santa Rosa platform
3) Intel's X3100 (or maybe newer if available) GPU
I disagree with your estimate of the mbp update. There will be one more SR update, followed by another update next May-Junish. Apple doesn't adopt Intel chips RIGHT AWAY. They usually wait a few weeks (in the case of SR) or a few months (in the case of C2D).

The macbooks probably will see an update at around November, and the LED will probably make its way in at that point.
 

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
792
0
I don't think Apple will update the macbooks until Jan unless they do at least a speed bump in mbp. Otherwise, the specs will be too close between the two. The mb would be 2.0 & 2.2 and the mbp will be 2.2 & 2.4 if the mbp doesn't get an update. With X3100 in the mb, the premium you pay for mbp is harder to justify. Maybe they'd update the mb 2 weeks before the mbp gets updated, like they did this summer. That still makes the updates late december/early jan if they're indeed releasing the new mbp at Macworld.
 

TheScavenger

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2007
260
11
Kansas City, MO
I don't think Apple will update the macbooks until Jan unless they do at least a speed bump in mbp. Otherwise, the specs will be too close between the two. The mb would be 2.0 & 2.2 and the mbp will be 2.2 & 2.4 if the mbp doesn't get an update. With X3100 in the mb, the premium you pay for mbp is harder to justify. Maybe they'd update the mb 2 weeks before the mbp gets updated, like they did this summer. That still makes the updates late december/early jan if they're indeed releasing the new mbp at Macworld.
However, the X3100 would still not be close to the 8600GT in terms of power.
 

Sdao

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
336
0
Tell me about it. These machines right now are so amazing. I can't imagine waiting. My waiting experience was painful. I advise all of you who are waiting to switch, just go for it!!!! Trust me.
I second this. Just got my MBP on wednesday and it is simply amazing. Everything about it is flawless. Make the switch now, don't wait. Any update information at this point is mere speculation, the MBP was just updated 1 month ago!
 

Merkuryy

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2007
175
0
Shanghai, China
Well , I think the recent MacBook and Macbook Pro are already "thin enough",if you want something "thinner",it has a high chance to quit the DVD-ROM.I surely don't want a laptop without the abilty to read CDs or DVDs (My opinion:D).It would be great to have a MacBook Pro with 14.1 LED screen and a MacBook with 13.3 LED screen and X3000 graphics card by the end of this year and another "ultra light design" MAC laptop like the Sony VAIO UX
 

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
2,360
1
Maine
I hear that the MBP's will be updated in November'Ish... but I don't know what will be changed, lol... I hear that there might be a 13.3" MBP,
I'm pretty sure it'll be like 12",
Engadget said:
The sources say that the new model -- which boasts a thickness of 0.6 or 0.7 inches, and will weigh less than 3 lbs -- will drop before the end of the year.
 

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
792
0
I disagree with your estimate of the mbp update. There will be one more SR update, followed by another update next May-Junish. Apple doesn't adopt Intel chips RIGHT AWAY. They usually wait a few weeks (in the case of SR) or a few months (in the case of C2D).
I don't think mbp will get another SR update. Penryn is schedule to release in the second half of 2007, which will give Apple enough time to implement it in the mbp in time for Macworld 2008.
 

T-Mac

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2007
84
0
Tennessee
Update to MB around Leopard release

I would be surprised if the MB did not see another update before Christmas. Look at last year's updates - May and November (six months). This year appears to be on the same track as we've already had the May update. With Leopard due in October and LED displays/SR chips becoming the new standard, an update to the MB just makes cent$ (holiday sales will be huge).

I'm holding out for a Thanksgiving to remember, with a new MacBook loaded with Leopard, LED display and improved graphics.

It will be hard to wait, but worth it IMO.
 

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
7,849
36
I don't think mbp will get another SR update. Penryn is schedule to release in the second half of 2007, which will give Apple enough time to implement it in the mbp in time for Macworld 2008.
Apple will probably update the mbps before Christmas...they almost always do. It makes perfect logical sense for both laptop lines to be updated before the shopping season begins. Penryn will probably appear in mbps at around April/May/June. Don't count on Apple adopting the Penryn line right away.
 

Kaiser Phoenix

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2005
359
0
London
I agree that they can't get any thinner, but January just doesn't sit well with me. For some reason, I've noticed that Apple usually updates notebooks before Christmas time. November seems like a better time to me.

Actually Im sure they can get much thinner. Look at the Sonys...They can fit a Geforce card into a 13.3 inch and make it lighter, more powerful and have better battery at the same time.

The current macbooks are way too heavy but the MBPs on the other hand is quite light for its size.

Shame the sonys dont run OSX:p
 

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
7,849
36
Actually Im sure they can get much thinner. Look at the Sonys...They can fit a Geforce card into a 13.3 inch and make it lighter, more powerful and have better battery at the same time.

The current macbooks are way too heavy but the MBPs on the other hand is quite light for its size.

Shame the sonys dont run OSX:p
Could you post a link for these notebooks? I'd like to see them. Thanks.