Next Update?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by razorianfly, Oct 17, 2007.

1. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

I'm quite intrigued to know when you think Apple will update the iPod Touch. Before Leopard's release, or after?

And ...

What would you want to see (officially) added?

I personally woud like:

- Mail.app and a Native IM

~~ good news about the SDK. "P.S.: The SDK will also allow developers to create applications for iPod touch. [Oct 17, 2007]"

//~discuss.

2. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

discussing in other thread :-D

3. Reimer macrumors regular

Reimer

Well... considering the Touch has been out for.. what.. a month, maybe not even? Leopard is supposed to be within the next couple of weeks. Update to the Touch before then? Not a chance.

I would say another 6-8 months before there is a major update to the Touch

4. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I think he meant software update...
    Pretty soon, to plug the new hole in 1.1.1

I think I can hold off updating until Feb :D

5. razorianfly thread starter macrumors 65816

razorianfly

I did. :) Glad to hear your view on the arrival of an update.

Anymore, welcome.

6. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

IM would be nice, so would Mail.

What I really want is WPA2 support using a username and password.

7. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

i though it did support wpa2

8. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

yea, i just logged in using WPA2+PSK with a AES encryption

9. shoelessone macrumors 6502

If Apple were smart, it would release a patch to fix the tiff exploit asap, for a number of reasons, one being that it will slow the userbase of hacked iPod Touch/iPhones so that when the SDK/commercial software options become available people won't be relant on the hacked software. Of course it's only a fraction of owners who probably hack their iPods, I'm sure most don't even know it's possible.

Back on topic, I'd bet the next major software update will come with the SDK/application platform. This is by no means a small deal, it's an entirly different area for apple, selling applications (most likly selling them I'd bet) through iTunes... I'd bet with the release of the applications and things, Apple will update the touch/iPhone, at which point I'd guess they'll also give out a "free application" such as iChat, just to give an example of a new application, to get people excited.

That's all I got :)

10. shoelessone macrumors 6502

If Apple were smart, it would release a patch to fix the tiff exploit asap, for a number of reasons, one being that it will slow the userbase of hacked iPod Touch/iPhones so that when the SDK/commercial software options become available people won't be relant on the hacked software. Of course it's only a fraction of owners who probably hack their iPods, I'm sure most don't even know it's possible.

Back on topic, I'd bet the next major software update will come with the SDK/application platform. This is by no means a small deal, it's an entirly different area for apple, selling applications (most likly selling them I'd bet) through iTunes... I'd bet with the release of the applications and things, Apple will update the touch/iPhone, at which point I'd guess they'll also give out a "free application" such as iChat, just to give an example of a new application, to get people excited.

That's all I got :)

11. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

no one said SDK = commercialization of apps.
    there will always be free apps and any expenses will come from the developers or if they really want to get it digitally signed by apple.