Next upgrade from 10.6.8 ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Inthezone111, Oct 3, 2017.

  1. Inthezone111 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2017
    #1
    16 gb, i7, fully updated 10.6.8 - if I do an SSD, where can I go from here ?
     
  2. Fishrrman macrumors P6

    Fishrrman

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    #2
    It sure would help if you told us which Mac you're using and what year it was made...
     
  3. dogslobber macrumors 68040

    dogslobber

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2014
    Location:
    Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
    #3
    If you update from 10.6.8 to anything then you will be sorely disappointed.
     
  4. Inthezone111 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2017
    #4
    2010ish iMac 11,1 with Intel core i7, 2.8 ghz, 16 gb memory, ATI Radeon hd 4850...
     
  5. EugW macrumors 603

    EugW

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2017
  6. slooksterPSV macrumors 68040

    slooksterPSV

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    Nowheresville
    #6
    I’m running High Sierra on a mid 2009 MacBook with a 500GB HDD. It runs great for only 4GB of ram and being almost 10 years old.
     
  7. chrfr macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2009
    #7
    To get to any other OS as an upgrade, you would need to start with El Capitan: https://support.apple.com/HT206886
    Sierra and High Sierra won't install as upgrades over 10.6.8.
     
  8. Inthezone111 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2017
    #8
    Thanks much - upgrading now to EC and then to HS. What about switching to SSD?
     
  9. EugW macrumors 603

    EugW

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2017
    #9
    SSD is a must.
     
  10. slooksterPSV macrumors 68040

    slooksterPSV

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    Nowheresville
    #10
    Not necessarily a must, its great to have for speed, but I wouldn't say a must.
     
  11. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2015
    #11
    SSD will greatly speed up your Mac and its a good idea.

    Given that High Sierra has just been released it might be better idea to wait 2 or 3 updates before installing it. Keep in mind that High Sierra has mandatory new APFS filesystem if you install it on SSD. New filesystem may have issues so waiting may be better choice...
     
  12. Eithanius macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2005
    #12
    10.6.8 --> 10.9.5 --> 10.11.6 --> future stable macOS

    My 2010 MBP came with 10.6.3 upgraded to 10.6.8 for stability... 10.11.6 is where I am now.

    Waiting for 10.13 to stabilise, else it will remain 10.11.6 forever until I get a new machine...
     

Share This Page

11 October 3, 2017