Next version of Final Cut Express.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by JSF, May 15, 2009.

1. JSF macrumors member

JSF

I was just wondering what the possibility of the next version of FCE supporting 24p? With all the new consumer cameras shooting in 24p I am hoping this is in the next update. I am curious because I want to purchase the HV40 when it comes out and 24p is a feature I would like to take advantage of. FCS is overkill for me.

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

FCE can edit 24p.

24p from consumer cams like the HV20/30/40 record 24p in a 60i stream using a 3:2 pulldown. As far as FCE is concerned, it is 60i and can be editing in a standard 29.97 timeline.

What FCE can't do is remove the pulldown and edit in a 23.976 timeline. I'd say there is an extremely small chance of 23.976 support in the next FCE.

3. JSF thread starter macrumors member

JSF

I hope your wrong, but I believe you are probably right. Since imovie 09 was just released and it does not support 24p. I was just hoping that it would be supported in consumer editing software as its becoming more available on consumer cameras. I guess I will have to go buy $1,200 professional software if I want to use 24p out of my consumer camera. I know you can import it in to FCE but it won't have the look with out removing the pull down correct? Thanks for your reply.

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

you CAN use 24p in FCE as long as it has the 3:2 pulldown intact. it will look exactly the same. you aren't losing anything by keeping the 3:2 pulldown.

5. JSF thread starter macrumors member

JSF

Thanks bigbossbmb for the help. Sorry for all the questions. I am new to all of this. So if I leave the pull down intact it will still look like 24p video?

6. JSF thread starter macrumors member

JSF

One more question bigbossbmb, why would one remove the pull down if it looks the same?

7. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

to deliver a 24fps output for film
    more efficient DVD/web encoding (20% of the bitrate no longer used on redundant fields)
    to ensure a consistent pulldown throughout the entire timeline

for consumer purposes, though, these aren't really a big deal.

8. JSF thread starter macrumors member

JSF