Next Version of iPhone to be released May 2008

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Compile 'em all, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Okay, i just got this email from a friend of mine about some conference in London that I thought might be interesting for some (and for me).

It is probably an estimate, still interesting though that they mention a specific month for that. flame on :D

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Doubtful. Earliest arrival for a new iPhone: FCC filing + 6 months.
    Until I see the FCC filing I am not holding my breath.

3. gcliv macrumors member

I agree. Too much FCC stuff needed, we will have a decent warning of any iPhone news.

4. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

I hope we dont get a new one in May. I just replaced the 8 gig I got for xmas with a 16 gig last week. My wife would kill me if I had to buy another in May.:eek:

5. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

You do realise that you don't have to buy a new one, eh?!

6. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

Yes! Well , Maybe if I will have enough money after the divorce.:rolleyes:

7. Noeld macrumors member

FCC filing took 7 weeks for the original iPhone. Why so long now?

8. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Good, just in time for me to come back from active duty and buy myself a "You survived Marine Week" present.

I've been waiting for 3G...one of those who was sorely disappointed when the 16GB model came out.

9. Ilovemyipod macrumors regular

Ilovemyipod

do they have to tell the public that they sent it for FCC aprovall. It could have been 3-4 months ago that they sent it and is almost ready for me to buy LOL

10. AMoeini macrumors member

AMoeini

I don't understand why everyone seems to think that FCC takes 6 months. It truly only takes 2-3 months, sometimes less. Like stated above, the first iPhone only took 7 weeks. So if FCC already approved that, it should be less this go around.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, this is just my understanding.

11. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

the FCC filings are public so people will find it. That is why the iPhone was announced at MacWorld and released 6 months later in June. Apple wanted to make the big splash and not have some nerd on the internet find the FCC filing.

The whole process takes 6 months. FCC approval maybe be 7 weeks but Apple isn't going to be making the iphones until they get the FCC approval. 6 months may be a bit high. More like 4-6 months after the announcement.

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I would say nothing of the sort in this case.

First off, FCC reports aren't public until they pass. So with the right timing, you could submit and go on sale the moment it goes public a couple of months later. For that matter, Apple could create a front company to submit under and no one would notice.

Or, they could simply go for Euro or Japanese approval first and we'd never know before overseas launch.

The iPhone was submitted in Mar 2007 and approved in May 2007. Immediately hundreds of test units were given to AT&T test techs... who quickly found out the sound was weak, but it was too late to change things.

As for publicity, everyone already knew Apple was coming out with a phone; heck, the nets were full of fan-made predictions of what the "iPhone" would look like... for months beforehand. So even the full final report (which kept the pictures secret until launch) would only have told people that it wasn't 3G.

The real reason Jobs showed it off was to build desire and give people time to get out of their contracts for launch date.

13. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

nothing is to say that the FCC needs to be notified first, since this could be a phone primarily mean for the european market, which is then introduced to america afterwards