Next version of Mac OS X is 10.7, not Mac OS 11.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DAMNiatx, Sep 19, 2010.

1. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

Hi guys,

I just found some interesting code, while compiling my Application. it seems the next version of Mac os x is 10.7, not Mac OS 11.

proof:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

file named as SCSchemaDefinitions.h, you can try find it on spotlight.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

At a certain point they will have to name it Mac OS 11...

Unless you want to see OS 10.50 ;)

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They "have" to?

5. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Seen as though Mac OS X has another 10 years of life left (or it is rumoured to have), I'd say the next thing on Macs (if Apple are still making them) is iOS.

I very much doubt there will be an OS XI/11

6. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

10.6 already gave some users the impression that it was only a "Service Pack". Naming their next version something different will put the emphasis on change. They don't "have to", but as I said, after 10.10, they should change the name. It would be fresher.

Considering the speed at which Apple implements touchscreens (zero) in Macs, I highly doubt they will dump the "classical" OS. Professionals need it, they wouldn't want to such a market (and since they also sell software for pros, they have a lot to lose).

7. Woodcrest64 macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

We're going to see a major redesign of Apple's operating system for Macs in the future. I think the trackpad is a hint of that as well as iOS. I don't think you'll see an iOS mac but a hybrid between it and OSX. ;)

8. brucem91 macrumors 6502

One thing people tend to forget is that all of the applications made for iOS are programmed on traditional Mac OS X using xcode. Without OS X, iOS would even have issues. I have no idea why everybody is freaking that apple will suddenly drop OS X for iOS on their main devices.

9. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

I like to think it will be like a nice ham sandwich.

We will know when it's in our hands what it is.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

And in other news the sky is blue. :rolleyes:

I don't anyone was expecting the next version to be called OS 11. Apple is not done riding the OSX horse yet.

What may be coming is it being rebranded to iOS to unify the OS offerings. Not to say it will be iOS that runs on the iPhone just branded that way.

There were rumors floating around this summer to this point and I think its a possibility.

11. JaSuS macrumors regular

JaSuS

I love this forum...

"and in other news the sky is blue :p:p good one!

12. MikhailT macrumors 601

iOS is mostly OS X. “The next OS is iOS” or “classical OS” makes absolutely no sense. iOS is 95% the same thing as OS X. The rebranding of Mac OS X to iOS is possible but there’s no point of saying “Apple will shift to iOS for Macs” because we have been using “iOS” for close to a decade already.

OS X is the core that can be adjusted to multiple interfaces, iOS for mobile touchscreen devices and Mac OS X for the desktop/laptops. There’s no such thing as a “hybrid” iOS/Mac OS because that’s just a third version of OS X tuned for a specific interface (in this case desktops/laptops with trackpad and possible touchscreen based monitors). It is extremely unlikely we’ll be shifting to touchscreen for desktop/laptop anytime soon (general public, not specialized CAD/artist work).

13. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

Am I the only one ecstatic to experience the newness of 10.7? :D To me Snow Leopard didn’t have many exciting user features - and even if it did like OpenCL I still think they will end up in Apple’s Mausoleum along with QuickTime, Quartz Extreme 2D etc. :(

So a redesign of the UI, Resolution Independence and better RAM allocation management is a must for the next iteration of the best OS out there.

14. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

Hopefully if it's released soon it won't be much only just got my new Mac. Probably be out for next WWDC. I remember reading on here that someone said this "Mac OS 11, this OS goes to 11"

Still hopefully the next release is good

15. gorjan macrumors 6502

I hope there'll be some nice new features in 10.7. I upgraded to SL on release day and I didn't notice any improvement. It didn't get worse in any way, but I didn't notice any new snappyness. ;) All the talk about Grand Central and OpenCL seems to have died out, and I can't say I notice any performance improvement over Leopard.

16. smali macrumors regular

Not sure how many "professionals" will use Macs in the future. The studio I work in just replaced most of the aging workstations with windows7 machines awhile ago. Not surprised to be honest, with the current economic climate and basically no new innovations from Apple in the professional market whats the point?

17. nastebu macrumors 6502

I thought that both of those things were dependent on developers making applications built to use them. I don't think anyone expected an instant change in performance.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple has been more focused on its iToys and less on the computer sector, so much so that its not really dedicating too much resources. Just look at the update cycle for the "professional" machine the mac pro. It took almost 500 days to get that machine updated.

I see apple focusing less and less time/money on OSX and macs as time goes on.

19. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

Based on the past history of version release from Apple, we will see 10.7.x, 10.8.x, and 10.9.x before we see version 11. (OS XI).

20. reekster macrumors newbie

reekster

Os what?

At some point though, they'll run out of kitty cats to name them after:confused:

OSX 10.22 lap kitten

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I would tend to agree with this.

The 64 dollar question is, "In the future, will there be one OS for all devices or will we continue to have two (iOS and Mac OS) like today?"

22. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

As you know very well, iOS and MacOS X are essentially the same except for UI.

23. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

The kernel is not exactly the same. If I'm right, they kept the 10.4 kernel.

24. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The original iPhone OS was OS X 10.5.

25. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

iPhone OS 1.0 was released on June 29 2007, while 10.5 was released on 26 October 2007.

There is the possibility that they have used the beta kernel (after al they started working on 10.5 a while before both releases), but I guess that they used the 10.4 kernel which was very stable in the beginning of development (mid 2005 to early 2006, I guess), unlike the 10.5 kernel.