NEXT vs 2yr contract - make sense?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Udh20skier, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Udh20skier macrumors member

Current Single line, use (8-11gb/mo), grandfathered unlimited data plan $30, unlimited text plan $20, talk $40, total =$100 after taxes

With me ordering the iPhone 6+ under a 2yr contract plan:
    $399 + tax = $427
    activation = $40
    monthly bill = $100 after taxes roughly
    total for 12 months = $1667 spent
    total for 24 months = $2867 spent
    *can also pay EFT at $325 prorated to get out of contract

NEXT plan:
    12 plan, 20mo payments = $42.50
    monthly 10gb = $100
    single line = $15
    total monthly = $167.50 after taxes roughly
    total for 12 months = $2010
    total for 24 months = $4020

So can someone clarify as to why everyone is so big on the NEXT plan? I cant justify that much of a price hike to tether and even though I'm throttled after 5gb, Pandora still works flawlessly.

Even the AT&T guy today said don't get rid of my unlimited plan.

Does this make sense?

2. cableguy619 macrumors 6502

If you have 6 devices the shared plan works out cheaper for me. I was paying close to 300. Went down to about 170.00. Now with next I add an additional 35 for 24 months.

For me I end up saving, every case will be different. Single line users shouldn't give up plan.

I did hear if you keep unlimited plan hey are also charging an additional 25.00 a month wig a 6 upgrade.

3. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Where did you hear this?

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Most people don't have the unlimited data plan, for one...

Many people have family plans, making it a far better deal to use next with family share.

I haven't heard a single person that was on a single unlimited line state how wonderful next is. Those who want/need tethering, or have an iPad or other such device to add also benefit more than you do on your unlimited line. Still some others rely on the unlimited minutes, as well.

----------

Also, I just noticed this, but you can;t just pay your ETF. If you do that, you lose your number and unlimited plan entirely. It's not the same as paying off your Next device.

5. anthonyfellows macrumors member

I have the exact same plan that you do and I agree. Sign another two year contract! I did it with the iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, and now I'm doing it again with the iPhone 6. The subsidized cost of the phone isn't even a factor, if you're selling your old device. I've sold each of my 2 year old devices for more than the $199 plus tax that I paid for them. Not sure if it will work this year (from what I've heard from others not having any luck), but every other time, I have been able to get the AT&T upgrade fee waived.

I've read and read how wonderful NEXT is (which is true for the shared plans), but it's not worth it for those who have plans like us.

6. billycuth macrumors 6502a

I worked the numbers out for me as well and it just doesn't make sense.

I have the 2GB plan for 2 phones (total 4GB). The kicker is, my 20% corporate discount gets applied to more of the fees for the old Family plans than it does for the new Family Share plan. So even with the $25/month savings per line, and the cost of the phones, NEXT comes out more expensive for me.

And that's BEFORE I sell my phone on eBay for the same or more than what I paid for it on a 2 yr contract.

Just doesn't make sense.

Now:
    $50 first phone (550 minutes, with rollover and we have 2,500 rollover minutes)
    $9.99 second phone
    $25 2 GB first phone
    $25 2 GB second phone
    $30 unlimited text
    Total - $139.99 before tax
    Discount of 20% off qualifying fees - $20
    Final before tax - $119.99

$299 phone (sold for at least $299 after 2 years)
    $199 phone (sold for at least $199 after 2 years)

So, there's really no added cost for the phones in my case.

NEXT
    $145 (includes $25 discount off the $40 "access charge" per phone, 4 GB plan)
    $37.50 first phone
    $32.50 second phone
    Total - $215
    Less 20% off qualifying fees - $16
    Final before tax - $199.

So I am getting tethering, unlimited talk (which is moot) and the ability to upgrade phones without any phone selling hassle for $80 per month? Not worth it to me.

7. Udh20skier thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I already sold my iPhone5 last week for $300, and sold the 4 when I got the five for $200. So I always recoup what I paid for the phone.

8. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Just to be clear, you don't have to switch to a mobile share plan to use NEXT. Why didn't you calculate your current unlimited plan with NEXT?

9. Udh20skier thread starter macrumors member

Because when I went to check out via Apple, it wouldn't allow me. I visited an AT&T store today and they said to bring it in and they will reimburse me the $427 and start from fresh by ringing me up under NEXT.

Guess my bill would remain the same but just split the phone up and give me the opp to switch phones after 12 months?

10. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

You forgot adding sales tax. :). AT&T says "If you use 2 year contract, you have to pay $40 upgrade fee and sales tax on the subsidized price" but they never tell the truth "If you use NEXT, you have to pay sales tax on the full price of the device". "$40 + sales tax of $199" vs "sales tax of $649". :confused:

11. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Another thing you might not realize is, you can get a new phone using Next and still keep your UDP as Next is just a device only contract. It has nothing to do with your service.

12. potaco macrumors regular

Because there's no reason to do that. If his monthly rate doesn't change based on whether he's under contract or not (AKA his subsidy is already built into his plan), AT&T Next is always going to be more expensive. In that case, it's a $450 savings to go with contract pricing.

AT&T Next = $850
    Contract = $400

13. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Does the OP want a new phone after 12 months, possibly indicated by choosing Next 12? The subsidized plan will cost nearly the same after considering selling the old phone 12 months later to deducted off a full price 6s model ( Full retail price if ATT doesn't offer early upgrades anymore like they use to)

14. blunti macrumors 6502a

No. Goes up if you have the mobile share plan instead of a 2yr or NEXT.

15. Udh20skier thread starter macrumors member

I kept my 4 & 5 for two yrs so its really not a deal breaker for me.

At&t mgr told me again do not give up my unlimited plan. He says "im supposed to be upselling you but id be doing a disservice to you if i said change plans bc of your usage."

I just know that if i went with NEXT it would give me that $25 discount on a mobile share of 10gb. Thats what i was debating. Sure the tethering would be nice on work trips but if its like he said $100 + $15 + taxes id be at $130-135 + $42.50 for the 12next plan.

16. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Sticking to my unlimited plan is more cost effective for me too. See link below.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=19715165&postcount=65

17. newone757 macrumors 6502

makes perfect sense to me. With your single unlimited line at $100 a month you'd be stupid to do NEXT (so long as you can deal with no tethering and throttling). Most of us arent so lucky to have an unlimited plan so yeah....

18. kokonutz macrumors member

A lot of people don't seem to understand how this works. It's only good if you have a 10gb+ plan so you can get the -25$/mo line discount.

Cost of iPhone 6 16gb under 2-year contract = 199 + 600$ of lost discounts(25$x24 months) = 800$.

Cost of iPhone 6 under Next = 650$.

This saves you 150$ over the course of 24 months. You get an off-contract price for the last 4 months. Also, I've always paid tax on full retail of phone, not on the 199 2-year contract price, regardless of what plan I chose.

19. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

That is odd that you weren't able to keep your unlimited plan. I used AT&T's NEXT program to upgrade through Apple and still was able to keep my unlimited data plan. There wasn't even a choice to switch to something else even if I wanted to.

20. MacDavidson macrumors newbie

If Im reading this right, WoW! I get "unlimited" calls + texts + data + 5Gb Tethered + 4G + no extra charge to use my phone abroad = £15 ($19.50US) on a 12 month contract. No special deals and my family have separate contracts.
    I Buy (or Short) 1 Apple Share a year & pay's for my yearly iPhone since the 4. Did not realise contracts were so expensive in the US.

21. Udh20skier thread starter macrumors member

No it did allow me to keep the unlimited. I was just seeing if i should switch to next with the 10gb plan.

----------

This doesnt make sense^^^.

With NEXT id be paying $100 + $40-$25 discount = $115 x 24 = $2760 before monthly taxes + $849 phone

2yr talk, unlimited data/text plan = $90x24 = $2160 before monthly taxes + 399 phone.

22. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

How many minutes do you get on your grandfathered plan? The unlimited minutes on the mobile share plans are very important to me. Plus you really don't have unlimited data, it caps at what 5gb? Not sure how you get 8-11gb, but sooner or later I would assume you will get throttled.

But yeah if the minutes aren't important to you it sounds like you are better staying subsidized. Keep in mind that AT&T didn't really lower their prices, they just adjusted the mobile share plans where you bring your own phone or finance it to be as cheap as getting a subsidized phone on contract. They are virtually the same with the Next plan being a bit cheaper AND letting you have a new phone every year, double the phones you get with the subsidized plan.

23. Udh20skier thread starter macrumors member

I have the 750 minute plan with like 3000 rollover minutes at disposal. I do get throttled but after 5gb but it still streams pandora perfectly fine. I spend alot of time in my jeep so its always streaming music.

24. sincere11105 macrumors 6502

Cherish your unlimited

25. kokonutz macrumors member

You have an unlimited plan, not a 10gb plan