Next week I'll be downgrading to the macbook from a 17" hi res mbp!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jjahshik32, May 4, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'm going to return my 17" hi res mbp for an exchange to the 2.4Ghz macbook to use with my 23" ACD... Man I do love that 17" hi res.. but I just cant justify the $3k price tag that I paid and even with the restock fee that's going to punch me in the face.. I'd rather have the $1550 back as the macbook can more than do everything I want it to do. :D

2. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Does the apple store sell the mini dvi-dvi cable?

3. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yes they do as does BestBuy. I bought one so I can use my ACD with my iMac and MB. Works perfectly.

4. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I dont get it. First you sold the MacPro then you went all mobile with the MBP and now you're selling that to get a MacBook. What's next? sell the macbook and get a MacBook Air or Eee PC?

Im not trying to give you a hard time i'm just having trouble understanding what's up. Why buy those machines in the first place if you weren't going to use them. Boredom?

5. sbf74 macrumors member

Won't you miss the faster clock speed, presence of a graphics card (and a high-spec one at that!), and extra ports? :eek:

6. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

But I'll gladly welcome the $1600!! :eek:

Especially if I can do everything on the macbook as I could on this mbp minus the gpu I'm fine with it. I hardly ever game so gpu is no matter.. just if the macbook can drive the 23" ACD well without its fan revving up loud just for driving the 23" ACD.

7. johnsy macrumors 6502

Well you probably not saving, but loosing money. It is called Russian business- buy a case of vodka, pour it down the drain and sell bottles. There is second part too. Buy a case of vodka, pour it down the drain, break bottles and sell labels and corks from bottles.

So you buy Mac pro for +3k, sell it for >2k and buy MBP for <2k, then sell it for 1.7k! And you gain money? How about buying MB for 1k and saving 2k to begin with?
    The last stop will be mac mini... :confused: TO BE CONTINUED! :):)

It seems you seriously overestimated your needs and goal before purchases.
    But that is OK, it is good that you support good company!:rolleyes:

8. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

I gave my 2.16 MBP to my partner and got a new 2.4 MB, black. I am loving it. I hope you will also. But don't feel like I downgraded at all.

9. johnsy macrumors 6502

Yah, just checked your previous posts. It seems you owned about every computer Apple makes? MP, MBP, MB, MBA, iMac???????

Man, you change computers faster than prostitutes!:D:D:D

10. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

I know I am a bit of an Apple Whore. I joined ADC so I could get a Mac Pro. The house is filled with them. Silly really, somewhat shameful too I think. But I can't stop myself.

11. Tania macrumors newbie

I did the same thing, sold my 15" MPB and bought one of the new Macbooks. I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I should have gone with the Macbook in the first place, it's the best computer I've ever owned.

12. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac

wow...

... you will be fine at home, but you will miss the screen real estate of the 17 inch on the road. My daughter has taken over my 17 inch 2.16 MBP so I am using the 15 inch Penryn MBP. Nice machine, but the 17 inch is a Great machine.:apple:

13. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

True the 17" screen is awesome when you have it on your lap that huge space of led eye candiness... but 90% of the time I use it connected to the 23" ACD and from the distance I sit away from the ACD the 17" hi res is hard to view anything on except watching movies.. so I think the macbook will do me fine (probably use it in clamshell mode most of the time anyway). And occasional lugging it around (but will miss the excitement of it being detached from the acd just to look at its led backlighting..).

14. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Well the mac pro was bought for $2799 with no tax from macmall and I had the rebate for $150 and it came up to $2699 with $50 next day shipping. I bought 3rd party ram cost me $750 for the 16gb, bought the nvidia 8800gt for $349, bought the raptor drive for $149 at best buy all roughly comes down to $4200 with tax included. I sold it to a guy recently for a even $4000 on craigslist. I lost $200 but then I see that $200 as "renting" the mac pro for a good 3 1/2 months. :D And I kept the 3tb drives and made it into external hdds.

As for the 17" hi res mbp that I had I bought it from macmall for $2950 with shipping included and I ended up selling it on ebay for $2765 and $49.99 shipping. So I guess I lost $150 on that as well but I guess a rent for a good 2 months.

Now I got the 17" hi res mbp again but this time it has that high pitch screen buzz noise that the previous one didnt have and want to show the genius at the apple store the buzzing noise and I'd tell them I'd want a 2.4Ghz macbook without the restocking fee and I would gain $1865 from that and put that into the bank (probably save that until nehalem comes out sometime next year):D. If the mac mini's were updated that would have been perfect.. as I would just get the higher end mac mini and wait about 1.5 years for my next notebook.

15. johnsy macrumors 6502

Well it is OK to loose some on rent, but is it worth to constantly switch and buy? I think what really matters is what do you do with computer. After that consideration follows decision what to buy. Since you have ACD you probably do some photo (video?) editing, (it might be your primary function for computer) so you should base purchasing decision on that. Well unless you want to try everything Apple makes!

I think every computer product Apple makes is designed to do specific tasks. You might squeeze a little bit more, but not too much.
    For example I am looking for Apple laptop. MBA is good for size, weight, the only minuses are HD size, soldered memory and relatively slow processor.

Macbook is good choice, but it lacks firewire 800 and video card. Or lack of express card. I hate shiny display too. Pluses are easy to replace HD, memory, size and weight is good too.

Macbook Pro is a little bit to heavy for me (I am planning to carry it on a daily basis and literally everywhere). Forget 17"! I think 15" is somehow too big. Plus difficulty to change HD (especially scary warranty void part).

So where the hell is middle model? I think 12" powerbook was something like that, something I would buy now. 13" inch MBP anyone???

16. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Yea I totally agree. I think one of the reasons that I've been jumping around is that I had buyers remorse in every product. For example the Mac Pro is an awesome machine and its blazingly TOO FAST for me. I feel like I wasted $4k for a machine that I only tap about 10%! Seriously I've never seen the cpu go above 10%. So I sold it yea I lost a couple hundred but what's couple hundred when you get nearly 4k back after 2-3 months.

Ok now its off with the 15" mbp 2.5Ghz model. This felt more like it was for me, BUT only $300-$400 cheaper than the stock 2.8Ghz 8 core mac pro so I felt buyers remorse instantly and in about a few months there will be something a bit better and by early next year the price will drop and can be bought on ebay for $1500-$1600 (a $700-$800) instant drop! Ok so I sold it lost about $150 over the next 1-2 months.

Now I gave a macbook air a chance.. but then its a bit too slow for just a main computer and no firewire ports.. =( my 1tb drives are now almost useless... usb is damn slow!! Also buyers remorse because of the price is at $1799 even for the lowest model~! And for just $200 more with student discount at $1947 I can get the 2.4Ghz mbp! So I returned it and didnt lose any $$ since it did have some kind of weird white lines in solid black background so exchanged and paid the difference $$ for the 17" hi res mbp.

Now the 17" hi res mbp is awesome machine. The most beautiful screen I've ever seen and on your lap it feels like you have a huge monitor interface just in your lap with next generation type graphics/screen especially the led backlighting! Sound is very loud and awesome.. like a thin light bad ass desktop on your lap (oh was it sooo hard to return it today!!). Anyways its price tag for that awesomeness is $3190!! Another thing that bugged me is that I do NOT want to carry this thing around outside! Man a $3000 machine is bound to get either stolen/dropped/scratched.. felt like I couldnt really really use it only at home you know? Also ss I had some kind of a led backlight buzz noise I asked the genius to take a look at it and didnt get charged for restocking fee and now I'm on the macbook!

Ok now, that I dont game at all so this macbook's x3100 is more than fast enough to play hd movie trailers connected to my 23" ACD even at 1080p just fine! I added the 4gb of crucial RAM that I already had + the 7200rpm hitachi travelstar hdd that I had as well! Now this thing feels the same in speed as the 2.5Ghz mbp that I had minus the ability to game! And does everything I want it to do connected to the 23" ACD at a $1000 less! Now this is the best bang for the buck I've been looking for. I mean $1297 for the macbook isnt cheap but at least I dont have to super baby it or get worried about problems/scratching it dropping it and can just kind of use the hell out of it before buying a newer faster machine 2-3 years down the line!:D

With student discount I got it for $1199 + tax came up to $1297 and I got to pocket $1794!! I have it connected in clamshell mode 90% of the time anyways and it feels exactly the same as the 2.5Ghz mbp!

BUT if there was a $1799-$1999 12"-13" mbp with a nice dedicated (doesnt have to be the best but a real gpu of 128-256vram) then I would easily have paid that much for one. But then again I dont know.. no real need for the gpu but I would love an led screen on this macbook but still fine with me (my friend has a 1.83Ghz macbook almost 2 years old now and the screen still looks great) and as long as I can just surf the web from my couch,bed, etc..

17. Luzzio macrumors regular

Luzzio

as a casual user, let me say... Viva la Macbook :D

Not that I wouldn't like an MBP if it was free...

18. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Basically what I used to do with my mac pro was reencode dvd/h264/mkv/wmv/avi all in 1080p/720p. But I dont do it anymore, all I do is d/l movies/music and just store it on my 1tb drives and just stream right to the sony bravia on my sig to the xbox 360 or to the popcorn hour. :D

19. johnsy macrumors 6502

I just will wait for upgrade of either macbook or MBP and buy older version, probably even refurbished. I see it is the only way to afford a mac without breaking the budget and without worries that in a few months something is going to come up and you could have had more for your money.

20. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I kind of agree but my approach was that the 2.4Ghz macbook is quite powerful and its brand new still + the mbp lineups are more powerful already so I dont feel as bad when newer macbook/macbook pros are released in June. Not to mention only costs $1199 for the white 2.4Ghz model. :D

21. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

Funny, I find myself upgrading

Perhaps not as fast as you do, but I'm going the other way, started with a macbook, cheapest version, found it had not enough real estate, bought a mini and a cheap 17" screen to go with the MB, found out it wasn't handy to have two computers, upgrade to a Macbook Pro 15" but when my wife's Toshiba died last week I went with an EOL MBP 17 Hi-Res.

This all took place in the last three years, so although I'm on a steep investment here, I'm probably not as bad as you are!

BTW, if you have a Hi-Res MBP, why on earth switch to a 23" ACD that has the same amount of pixels, but just a whole lot less dpi? Just drag the MBP a bit closer (or get glasses :p) when you can't read it.

I just tossed out the 17" cheap ass screen as I didn't use it in over a week! Now my desk is a whole lot cleaner, have more space for papers, sheets, books and other stuff I work with.

22. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Lol, I've been through the 2.8Ghz 8 core Mac Pro, 2.5Ghz 15" mbp, 2.6Ghz hi res 17" mbp and now a macbook all in 4 months and lost $350. I guess $350 is what I paid to "rent" them.

Anyways the 17" hi res mbp's screen is very nice, big, vibrant and everything but its still much cheaper to use the macbook + 23" ACD as I already own this 23" ACD for a good 8-9 months now. I thought about selling my 23" ACD probably can get about $700 on ebay and use 1 single 17" mbp.. but I bought a new nice big desk just a few weeks ago.. and I love using the aluminum keyboard on the keyboard slider from the desk with the mouse. Not to mention I would have to put the 17" mbp so close near the edge of the desk to get comfortable and still from that distance its hard to read alot of the words as the text is too small.

I think when the 17" mbp is on my lap its perfect and I love the text size and resolution but not on a desk where I like to sit back on my big comfy chair and rather use the 23" size of the ACD to read/view photos/movies.

Also I still think the 23" ACD looks alot better than the 17" hi res screen on the mbp. The ACD's colors are much more deep and colorful and accurate as well. Plus no color shifting either. Not to mention I'm glued to my desk 90% of the time so I dont need to have a nice display on a laptop.

And like I mentioned before that I feel uncomfortable with a $3000 laptop especially to carry around.. I would much rather carry this macbook and use the hell out of it without much worries.

23. gtimark macrumors member

I think the OP has made his case: it's a matter of money. I MORE than understand that. That was my deciding factor in purchasing the MB 2 months ago. For my usage profile, I couldn't justify the extra $$$ for the MBP -- cool as it is. And besides, "17" & laptop" sounds like an oxymoron to me !! :D Every time I sit down with my MP, its 13.3" of screen seems just right for a lap.

24. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Been a great read this thread and has answered a few of my questions without having to post, so thanks .

...the only thing holding me back buying a Macbook is the glossy display ( I just don't like it ) as I work outside a lot it would be a problem for me.... also I wonder if I would actually use the dedicated graphics on a MBP