Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
What we need is a something like an Open Source news organization where we get the real news regardless of it it makes someone or something look bad. We need the Truth.
who is going to go out and find this "Truth"? More importantly (from a realistic point of view) who is going to pay them to do so? Who is going to verify that it is indeed True? Who is going to pay those people? etc, etc :D

alhedges

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
There is where content becomes king. This has to offer multiples of what we get for free. I'll pay for the ease of the news + video bundled up into one app, rather then opening several apps to get the news.

If this is a lame CNN-like over glorified RSS reader - it will fail. That is why CONTENT = KING.

I don't think that many people will pay for general news, even if it has content not otherwise available. It didn't work for the NY times; it didn't work for Slate. It does work for the WSJ and for Consumer Reports, both of which have specialized content (financial and consumer) not easily obtainable elsewhere.

Having Oprah on the cover doesn't suggest that this is the kind of thing most people would pay for.

vini-vidi-vici

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
looking forward to it... sort of.

I think Murdoch is vile, and don't plan to give him any money. Still, I'm interested to see the new subscription model be launched, as I think this is really a key piece that's been missing from the iPad ecosystem since day 1. So, from that perspective, I am looking forward to it... Or, more specifically, I'm looking forward to the next publication that uses this model... Ok, and I might actually buy an issue just to see what it looks like.

TrickyTree1984

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2010
Uk
No. I find that News Corp's operations (e.g. Fox News and The Wall Street Journal) to be excellent sources of news. In fact the News Corp's owned WSJ seems to excel at Apple news coverage and tech coverage in general. In fact, Steve Jobs has quoted from News Corps WSJ several times during his Keynotes.

I love it when people get brain washed by Murdoch.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
The idea that this is a "new" subscription mag is great for the iPad.
If this is successful as so many on here predict it wont be, this will just show even more that the iPad will be successful in this route.

People also need to look at News Reporting and Opinion on the news channels.
most of the rhetoric on any news station is not from reporting but from the BIASED Commentary shows.

hoping this is successful and leads to better iPads and better offerings for all.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
If our written news sources can't make money they will continue to dwindle and die. Our Founding Fathers knew how important a strong press was for a democracy. It is best if we have dedicated newsfolk going to the source of the news and being able to report back to the people. The bloggers that you generally get through Flipbook and other free sources are often just regurgitating facts that have come across their computer and they hope are right and have some bearing on the real world. A reporter is at the scene of news story. They view the story and then they write about it with their name signed at the top of the published story. This is very important stuff. All across this country papers are failing (even in big cities) and with each failure another source of facts is disappearing.

I'm hoping The Daily is a big success. Mainly I hope this because I want the New York Times to find a way to make money so it can still be in business in 10 years. And by "in business," I don't mean a shell of itself being staffed interns out of college blogging and rewriting AP Wire stories. I mean a news gathering source that will still be more respected than the Wall Street Journal (another Murdoch paper which is, according to what I hear, cleaning the NY Times' clock financially speaking, mainly because, shocking, they charge for their content). The newspapers need to find a way to make money and if Apple can take over and replace their entire distribution system, while opening up a new market of younger customers, that might be the financial rescue the industry needs.

Last edited by a moderator:

MoreBS

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2008
Yep, this is an important app...it is subscription push content. That is what is innovative and important. I'll start subscribing to news "papers" again if this works well.

And if it does work well, then "newspapers" of all ilks will follow suit.

I personally think you should read content from a broad spectrum, and I hope this app makes it possible for news gatherers to earn a living, and me to get and enjoy on the iPad or whatever.

As long as Apple does not interfere with content, I'm happy for them to be a part of it too.

birch25

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2005
Thank you, no. A resounding NO! I have such disdain for everything Mr. Murdoch has touched that even Steve Jobs, visionary that he is, cannot change my opinion.

Frankly, I will NEVER purchase this app, much less use it if it were free. Jobs has a long way to go in my book to redeem himself from aligning Apple with Murdoch. I see this as nothing more than Jobs"vision" of having people use his products the way he deems they should, a la fingers-on, touch pad control instead of anything else. It took Apple a long, long time to shed it's "for graphics only" image in business, and now it's almost reverting back to that in this area.

May I coin a new term for Steve Jobs, then, having said the above? How about retrovisionary?

As much as I disagree with Murdoch's politics and the way he has run his media empire (unrelated to his politics), I think it's misguided to get mad at Apple for "aligning" with News Corp. This is like getting mad at the creator of the printing press for the existence of the WSJ. Apple created the iPad with the hopes that newspapers and magazines would migrate, at least partially, to the tablet format. A daily digital magazine that is exclusive to the digital format is a big deal for them.

Richard Branson, a very liberal individual, has already started an iPad-only monthly magazine a month ago. We're going to get many different perspectives in digital publishing and that's a good thing. It will broaden the reach of the iPad (and tablet format in general) if anyone who buys a tablet can get information from sources they like.

Newsinker

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
As much as I disagree with Murdoch's politics and the way he has run his media empire (unrelated to his politics), I think it's misguided to get mad at Apple for "aligning" with News Corp. This is like getting mad at the creator of the printing press for the existence of the WSJ. Apple created the iPad with the hopes that newspapers and magazines would migrate, at least partially, to the tablet format. A daily digital magazine that is exclusive to the digital format is a big deal for them.

Richard Branson, a very liberal individual, has already started an iPad-only monthly magazine a month ago. We're going to get many different perspectives in digital publishing and that's a good thing. It will broaden the reach of the iPad (and tablet format in general) if anyone who buys a tablet can get information from sources they like.

Thanks for your logical post... at least someone here sees the benefit of this app and isn't going off just because it's Murdoch/Fox related. +1 for you good sir!

robpow

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
While I do encourage this new media format and can't wait for a plethora of interesting content delivered this way I'd sooner gouge my eyes out with a dull wooden spoon than pay for any more drivel spouted from the Murdoch news empire.

Where are new, edgy, independent news desks that can deliver captivating stories in this new format.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.