Next year or 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stuffradio, May 5, 2010.

1. stuffradio macrumors 65816

I'm locked into a 3 year contract that expires in Sept 2011. I'm allowed to renew 6 months early (March next year). I also get around $4/month credited to my account that goes towards a phone purchase. I have $78, so I could maybe get around $110-$120 by the time the next iPhone after this summers one comes out which means I would have to pay less than $100.

My question is, should I get a used 3GS this year or should I wait until the Summer of 2011 and buy the latest and greatest phone that Apple makes.

2. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

well you will be paying more than you are budgeting for. right now you can get the 3g with a contract renewal for $99, the 3gs 16gig for $199 so you know the latest greatest in 2011 will be most likely $399 with contract renewal. I would get the 3gs now if you ever want to jailbreak or unlock your iPhone cause with the way Apple is going with their updates they are doing everything they can to keep the phones locked to ATT. and how did you get conned into a 3 year contract??

3. stuffradio thread starter macrumors 65816

Canadians are forced into 3 year contracts. The subsidized pricing has always been $199/$299 so I expect nothing different next year and this year.

4. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I think you are confused. If it says you have $110 off of a new phone purchase, that isn't off of the discounted subsidized price. My guess is you would have $110 off of the full price of a new iPhone ($700 ish). If you wait until your contract is up you can get it for the discounted price ($300)

5. stuffradio thread starter macrumors 65816

No no, each month I get money for services I use. In my case I get $4/month credited to my account. I'm on Fido in Canada. The money is called Fido dollars. I use that money towards a new phone purchase.

Fido is a sub company of Rogers in Canada. I'm at $78 right now, and by next summer I should be at around $110. I can use it on subsidized phones.

6. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Oh thats a pretty good deal then. I'd buy a 3gs on ebay or craigslist if you can afford it. Maybe wait until the 4th gen is released so the prices will come down. I think a lot of people will be ditching their 3gs (me included) after they receive their 4th gen. This should hold you over until the 5th gen iPhone comes out and you can get it for very cheap. You should be able to sell your 3gs then for at least a couple hundred bucks.