Next years iPhone being released in early/mid 2017

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chrizzz09, Jul 5, 2016.

1. chrizzz09 macrumors regular

So with Apple's new Campus being finished at the end of 2016 and employees moving in in early 2017, I got into thinking that Apple will likely want to have their first presentation there be something big.

With the upcoming anniversary of the iPhone being next year and this years iPhone being apparently not so radically new, do you think Apple may release their new iPhone in early/mid 2017?

I don't think Apple wants their first presentation at the new Campus be just about updated iPad's and Mac's.

What do you think? First new presentation at the new Campus will be about the new iPhone? With this years iPhone "7" being just like the iPad 3?

2. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

One argument against that is that some phone plans are geared toward Sept/Oct renewal.

3. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Tim Cook will use that New Campus to promote some new watch bands or emoji's, not a new iPhone. Apple would not release a new phone just a few short months after the release of the 7.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't see Apple adjusting their schedule of iPhone releases just because their new campus is done.

5. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

I highly doubt Apple will do this, although I'm still hoping for a Summer 2017 release. I miss Summer iPhone releases :(

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I think you are thinking about this too much. Get married and have a kid or two and you will have less time and money to be thinking about stuff like this.

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

As others have said, they aren't going to change the schedule/release date of their flagship, best-selling products just for their new building being completed.

8. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Apple will more likely delay new releases while they settle in. Which isn't likely.

9. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I doubt it. Apple may go outside to Moscone again or the Bill Graham Auditorium again for the March event, but may switch back to their Campus 2 for WWDC and the September event. I doubt they'll switch up flagship product release dates just to have an event in their new Campus.

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

No way they are ever going back to Summer release. WWDC is software and thats where the next iOS is announced. This also works well for them because the new iPhone launches in the first fiscal quarter, so it makes their earnings year look better.

11. Savor Suspended

Savor

Amen.

I just don't get why this OP has wishful thinking to want something released sooner by 3-6 months. Just wait it out. Another 14 months doesn't feel long anymore.

12. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I will bet my kitchen sink it won't be early. Once a year is more than enough.

13. Savor Suspended

Savor

First off, Tim Cook doesn't have the showmanship that Steve Jobs had. Second, since when did Apple ever pull off a great presentation that ever reached the anticipation level for the original iPhone or even iPhone 4? After six years, nothing really has wowed me from Apple's presentations.

It is like hoping for Star Wars 8 to release sooner than December 2017 because you can't wait it out. Chillax. Even if say you come away impressed with next year's iPhone presentation, you set up expectations and anticipation so high which can lead to disappointment.

Nothing is really FUTURE PROOF unless you plan to use your phone for 5+ years. Every year, a better iPhone comes along. Every few years, the newer iOS update slowed down your iPhone and the battery degraded so much, you decide to get the newer one. Ever since non removable batteries, Apple has made phones disposal.

14. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

The new 2017 iPhone will charge wirelessly at any time anywhere in the world through the Apple Campus 2. The Spaceship building isn't a headquarters, it's a giant charging dock for all phones. As a result it will be the electromagnetic center of the earth.

15. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No. Watch Bands are so 2015. TC's next move is "fashion crown stickers" -- high quality Vlexable™ vinyl removable stickers for your AW crown to coordinate your outfit and mood.

I also don't think Apple is going to change it's phone release schedule. It has it that way to beef up Q4 and Q1 earnings which are the companies most important reporting periods.

16. yegon macrumors 68020

As others have said, the closest to "proof" this ain't going to happen is WWDC and iOS beta periods.

Equally, £???m/bn is spent on R&D and manufacturing, they like to rinse maximum moola from each iteration.

iPad 3->4 was the exception for lots of well documented reasons. If anything, release schedules more often expand rather than contract.