Nexus 10 or 7?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Mr. RPG, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

I've never had an Android device and I really want to get one (primarily for Android game development)

Which one should I get? I really am fascinated by the specs of the Nexus 10.. but I've heard that the performance isn't smooth.

So which do you recommend?

2. Explicitic macrumors 6502

Nexus 7 if you need the portability and don't mind the screen.

Basically, I'd recommend the Nexus 10.

3. Mr. RPG, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013

Mr. RPG thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nexus 10 is pretty portable to me.

What's the best for the price? The Nexus 7 is around the same price as the iPad mini.

Why would you recommend the Nexus 10 over the Nexus 7?

Some reviews seem to suggest that the Nexus 10's processing power cannot catch up with the screen.

--

I have an iPhone 5 and I wish to develop for iOS market, but Macs are so so so expensive.. Do you think a Mac mini is worth it or should I wait?

4. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

I picked the Nexus 7 32GB mostly because it was small enough to take with me anywhere and because the 7 is the only model that has cellular. Though I have an iPhone and a Nexus 7 that I could use to tether, I choose not to. I have the service through T-Mobile.

The screen is comparable on quality to the retina display where as the iPad Mini isn't.

5. paopaoqq macrumors newbie

10 Orion dual-core 1.7 processor, but a15 architecture, the market mostly a9 architecture. The the nexus 10 dual-core processor can spike any a9 quad-core processor architecture. So do not think that the dual-core die. Can say, arm processor inside the the nexus 10 is one of the best.

6. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

7. TheMTtakeover macrumors 6502

TheMTtakeover

I love my mac mini. I think they are worth it. Wait for what? The next Mini?

8. Essenar macrumors 6502a

A Mac Mini or a used MacBook Pro Classic is a good deal, maybe a refurbished unit?

When you buy a Mac, you're really buying the OS so a Mac Mini isn't that bad.

9. Mr. RPG thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking about a Mac mini.. if not, I'll get the nexus 10 and start developing for Android.

@Essenar: Is the current Mac mini good enough even for some Mac games?

@TheMTtakeover: Yes.

10. mapledress macrumors regular

The Nexus 7 is a quad-core tablet, with a 1.3GHz nVidia Tegra 3 chip hiding inside, while the Nexus 10 is a dual-core slate, with a 1.7GHz Exynos 5 (based on the ARM Cortex-A15). Notably, the Nexus 7 packs 'just' 1GB of RAM, which the Nexus 10 doubles to 2GB. But it also has quad-core ULP GeForce graphics, whereas the Nexus 10 packs a dual-core Mali-T604 chip. So it is obviously that
    Nexus 10 features a better specs.

And according to performance test result from pcadvisor, the Nexus 10 is the better performer. They have measured performance using Geekbench, GLBenchmark and SunSpider, and the Nexus 10 came out on top in each. So I think the Google Nexus 10 is your wise choice.

11. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

And then there is real world usage where the average person doesn't understand a word you said and buys the tablet they want for their actual usage. I bought my 6 because of it's cellular capabilities and because it was small enough to take with me. Specs other than these had nothing to do with it besides already having a Nexus 4.

12. Kashsystems macrumors 6502

Mac Mini is not really a gaming box. Unless your idea of gaming is facebook games and bejeweled. For development it would be perfectly fine. My Macbook from 2009 is still good enough development but my main device is 2011 iMac.

13. strausd macrumors 68030

A new Nexus 7 is supposed to come out at Google I/O with smaller bezels, faster CPU, faster GPU, and better battery life. I am going to be waiting.

14. cynics macrumors G3

I have a Nexus 10, and I'd probably recommend the 7. :)

15. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

If you consider at $130 difference almost the same...sure