Nexus 4/5/6 owners: Android 5.1 likely rolling out this week

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Lloydbm41, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

The Nexus 6 was seen running Android 5.1 with software update build LMY40 on the Chromium tracker.

Nexus 4 on (occam software) was seen running build LMY36B.

The Nexus 5 was seen running build LMY47E (the newest of the builds and approx 3 weeks old now.

What does the 5 or 6 character Google build name mean?
    The first letter is the code name of the Android version release family, such as 'L' for Lollipop.
    The second letter is a branch code, which allows Google to identify the exact code branch the build was made from.
    The next letter and the two digits are the date code. For instance if you had a code LMY47B, The Y stands for Q1 2015 and 47 is the days within that quarter, which would be 16 February.
    Finally, the last letter 'B' from build LMY47B is the version for that day, hence B is the second version of that particular day.

Changes in 5.1
    Google brings back silent or mute mode which was missing in the previous Lollipop version
    An improvement in stability and RAM management
    Bug fixes and some changes for Material design

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Oh I hope my Moto X will get this shortly after too.

3. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

I have a 2013 Moto X. I'd be happy if it got 5.0! Much less 5.1!

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Has 5.0 not rolled out to the 2013 version yet then? Strange as moto G 2013 has it rolling out i believe...

5. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Nope. The 2013 Moto X is being left out in the cold. Motorola claims there is an issue with the hardware (coprocessor I believe) working properly on 5.0. There is no known date as to when this will be fixed... if ever!

6. Sensamic macrumors 68030

I really wish this is true! There's so much to fix in Lollipop! Mainly the memory leak issue and other small bugs. They need to improve stability and performance a little bit more.

7. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Already running 5.1 on my Nexus 5. :D

Attached Files:

8. Sensamic macrumors 68030

I hope the memory leak bug is fixed! Didn't see any mention about this on websites.

9. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

How is the battery life? I'm on 5.0.1 and it is bad.

10. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

I never pay attention to battery life or what people even say about it. It is a useless metric. Everybodies use case is completely different.

11. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

I got tired of waiting for it to roll to my Nexus 6 so I downloaded the OTA and sideloaded it. OMG, it runs much faster and I believe the memory leak has been fixed. The multitasking window used to lag but now it opens up INSTANTLY. This used to be an annoyance but not anymore.

There's also a lot of tweaks here and there but that was my biggest problem.

12. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I just posted this quoted from the N6 developer on the other 5.1 upgrade thread reading that one first:

"the device is now running full quad-core mode all the time which helps tremendously because the Kernel task scheduler can distribute the workload through all these cores so you'll get the perception that the device is not hanging anymore."

I know it is too soon to analyze battery life for the update but I guess fast charge and wireless charging are a bonus in considering this smartphone.

13. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I just updated my Nexus 5 tonight. Wasnt that long a wait at all. Just installed it five minutes ago so havent had a chance to go thru it yet.

14. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Yeah with all 4 cores active all the time, it is snappier. Battery life will be better measured this weekend as during work hours my phone is off...