Phones Nexus 4 Not Recognizing Touch Input (VIDEO)

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by strausd, Dec 6, 2012.

1. strausd, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012

strausd macrumors 68030

So I got some bad news :(

There is an area on my Nexus 4 that receives no touch input. Either that, or it is extremely inconsistent. This is the section right about where the bottom row of icons are located, directly above the on-screen navigation buttons.

I tried installing this "fix" for touch sensitivity, but it did not fix the specific problem I am having. And I noticed this problem before I tried that fix, so it was not a result of that.

I am about to try a full system reset to see if that helps. Hopefully it will. I will post back if it does.

If I have to send it back to Google, what process would I need to go through to make sure they don't know I rooted? Just unroot? Or would I also have to lock the bootloader as well? And would a full system reset do all of that? Or do I need to go back and use the toolkit from XDA?

Here is a video I just shot showing the problem:

2. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

That sucks sorry to hear that. I got paranoid and just checked mine and I don't have any issues (at least not in that area which I just checked).

I've never sent back a phone so I'm not entirely sure what the policy is but I think you'll have to lock the bootloader as well. You should do that anyway since it wipes the phone which you wanna do if you'll be giving it away. You'll have to download the stock google stock image and install that.

I am not 100% sure so ask/look around.

Edit: this xda thread looks like what you're looking for http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2010312

3. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

I do have a complete backup from before I installed that "fix." Do you know if I would be able to just restore to that and then unroot and lock the bootloader again? I am also posting this on XDA to see if anyone there can offer any advice.

4. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I don't see why not but as I said I'm not 100% sure sorry.

5. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Definitely looks like a defect of some sort. Sorry to hear, mate. Something's amiss somewhere. That may also explain why Power Toggles kept crashing for you (I've had it since day one of owning my N4 and hasn't crashed once).

Google will replace, I'm sure. I'd reach out to them ASAP. I think the window is 14 days? Not positive.

6. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

Well isn't there a 1 year warranty either way?

7. ReanimationN macrumors 6502a

ReanimationN

The toolkit I used for my Nexus 7 had an option to install the stock factory image, does yours have that option? If it does, do that and you'll go back to being unrooted, then relock your bootloader and you'll be right to send it back.

8. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Yeah it does.

9. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the suggestion! I am backing up all my apps right now.

Do you know where that option is in the toolkit?

10. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

No sorry I haven't used it myself but I know it's in the toolkit.

11. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

Alright thanks, I'll dig around for it.

12. strausd, Dec 6, 2012

strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

I am getting an error every time the toolkit tries to download the factory image.

Just found this other toolkit:
    http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

I am gonna see how well that works for going back to the factory image.

13. steviewhy macrumors regular

Have you tried turning on "Show Touches" & "Show Pointer Location" in:

Developer options>Input

If the touches show up but the screen doesn't react it would probably point to a software/os problem instead of hardware. If that's the case a restore may work.

Attached Files:

14. strausd, Dec 6, 2012

strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

Restore only made it worse. Added another video in the original post. And here is one with those checked:

Man, and I almost sold my iPhone 4S! Good thing I haven't done that yet.

Got another Nexus 4 on the way. But with a dead screen, physical buttons don't sound too bad, ehhhhhh?????? ;)

15. steviewhy macrumors regular

It does look like a hardware problem. Hopefully the replacement proves to be more reliable.

16. rezorate macrumors newbie

Holy cow. My phone has this same exact problem. Did you ever figure out what it is, or did you have to send it back? I recently sold my iPhone 4S so I'm hoping it's not a hardware problem.

17. sc4rf4c3 macrumors regular

I don't know why Google picked LG for the Nexus 4.

18. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I'm starting to feel the same way. I would have much preferred they went with Samsung again. Would have made it way easier to transition from my S3 (boy do I miss this phone) to Nexus 4.

19. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

I had the exact same issue on my model! I've returned it now and am waiting for the refund. I admit there are other reasons why I prefer iOS to Android.

20. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I personally love the look and feel of the Nexus 4, much improved over the Galaxy Nexus. Problem seems to be that while the build materials feel/look great, the build quality seems to be subpar. Shame too because it's my favorite design of any Android handset to date.

21. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I agree with pretty much everything you said except it feels a bit too thick when compared to the S3. Even my HTC 8X which is a millimeter thicker feels thinner than the Nexus 4 because of the way it's designed.

22. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Yeah, doesn't have the slightly rounded back like many devices that lends to possibly a better feel in the hand but I guess I'm used to the "slab" style design since I've used the last few iPhones.