Nexus 4 now running Lollipop - Restore feature (not like iOS)

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Lloydbm41, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Okay, so I downloaded the Nexus 4 factory image this morning, unzipped the files and used the simple cmd print of flash-all.bat

Everything went off without a hitch and 10 minutes later I had a fresh install of Lollipop on my Nexus 4. Since I did my Nexus 5 yesterday, I decided to try the new 'restore' feature using NFC. It is 'supposed' to transfer app data as well as screen icon arrangement and wallpapers, but it was a big FAIL on app data. Nothing transferred.
    So iOS is still superior, unless you root and use TiBU or similar CWM. Pretty bummed out by this lack of restore capability.

Moving on, the Nexus 4 now on Lollipop and using the new Android RunTime instead of Dalvik is quite a bit zippier, but not nearly as smooth in transition or having animation screens as the Nexus 5, but considering this phone will soon be reaching its 3rd year on the market, I can't complain. It looks great and runs better than I thought it would.

If you have a Nexus 4, you will love Lollipop and learn to enjoy your Nexus 4 all over again. I still love the feel of the all glass phone.

2. TimelessOne macrumors regular

The app data has to be in Google cloud. Aka the dev needs to implement that feature. What the NFc does it speed up the process on what is on the device.

3. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

well, out of 70+ apps, none had data. hopefully, the devs will update their apps over the next 6 months.

4. TechGod Suspended

TechGod

Loving it on my Nexus 4 but it has come time to upgrade. I can't stand the little micro stutters with Lollipop on this(I've been using ART since when it was implemented in 4.4)

5. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

yep, there are those little stutters. def not as smooth as the Nexus 5. But I don't use the Nexus 4. I only brought it out to cycle the battery and load 5.0 onto it. it is now shut down and stored back in its box for another 6 months.

My Moto X will be the next phone I do this with. maybe by the time it gets 5.0 from T-Mobile, some devs will have updated their apps and I can test out the app data transfer and see if it actually works.

6. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Yep not surprised about any app data. What do you guys think about Google potentially making a proper restore function next year? Is it likely?

7. TechGod Suspended

TechGod

Flash a custom kernel, really boosts things.

8. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Nope. Keeping all my toys stock these days. Makes my life simpler that way. ;)

9. danthe93 macrumors member

danthe93

Still waiting for OTA on Nexus 5. Hope it comes eventually..

10. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Well, as it stands now they'd have to require app developers to code their apps for this functionality and imposing those sorts of requirements kinda goes against the open nature of Android so, no I don't see it happening anytime soon.

11. TechGod Suspended

TechGod

:D it is a pain but when this is your only phone, improving battery and performance is important so it is kinda necessary for me:(

12. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

on a major release like this, I always recommend a complete wipe and fresh factory install. besides, as simple as it is to install a factory image, anyone with a Nexus should do it that way and not bother waiting for the OTA.

----------

Understood. ;)

13. fredaroony macrumors 6502a

Me too plus the Moto X is the first phone I never really wanted to do anything to. Although it would be nice to have a battery percentage.

14. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

I put my Moto X away, but I thought there was a setting to allowsw for percentage to be displayed next to the battery icon in the status bar? (or maybe that is only on Nexus? Can't recall?)