Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
So your saying the Nexus One had a 1" screen?
The phones aren't necessarily named by screen size.... Not that it even matters one bit. The Nexus 4 is a 4.7" screen. The Nexus S I believe has a 4" screen. The Galaxy Nexus is 4.65".

Understanding context is hard ;)

Clearly I was saying the current Nexus lineup all has numbers based on screen size.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Understanding context is hard ;)

Clearly I was saying the current Nexus lineup all has numbers based on screen size.

clearly we are wrong. the nexus 10 is the 10th tablet haha. The naming is clearly based on screen size and strausd hit the nail on the head with regards to the naming of the next one.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
clearly we are wrong. the nexus 10 is the 10th tablet haha. The naming is clearly based on screen size and strausd hit the nail on the head with regards to the naming of the next one.

I am a collector of the last 9 generations of Google's 10" tablet ;)

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I dont think we should make a big deal of the next Nexus name.

People thought the 5th gen iPhone would be called iPhone 5. It was called iPhone 4s. Now we have an iPhone 5s that is generally the 7th gen and a 5c that adds the c for the lower end. So how will the c-class be called next year? iPhone 6c? Then what will they call it in 2015? HTC came out with One X, One S, One V, and many more before calling their 2013 flagship just HTC One. Samsung at least names the GS and Note accordingly even though it has many variants like S4 Active or S4 Zoom.

It gets tricky if Google after two gens esp with the Nexus 6. Any Blade Runner special edition to that one? I personally think the Nexus phones may come to an end if Google plans to release Google Play Editions of OEM flagships and then drop the price to $100-$200 lower.

The coolest name ever for a phone for me still is the Nexus One.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I dont think we should make a big deal of the next Nexus name.

People thought the 5th gen iPhone would be called iPhone 5. It was called iPhone 4s. Now we have an iPhone 5s that is generally the 7th gen and a 5c that adds the c for the lower end. So how will the c-class be called next year? iPhone 6c? Then what will they call it in 2015? HTC came out with One X, One S, One V, and many more before calling their 2013 flagship just HTC One. Samsung at least names the GS and Note accordingly even though it has many variants like S4 Active or S4 Zoom.

It gets tricky if Google after two gens esp with the Nexus 6. Any Blade Runner special edition to that one? I personally think the Nexus phones may come to an end if Google plans to release Google Play Editions of OEM flagships and then drop the price to $100-$200 lower.

The coolest name ever for a phone for me still is the Nexus One.

Agree. I dont care what they call the next Nexus phone. Whether it is the N5, still called N4 , Ill know it is the newest version.

I dont think the "One" is a cool name either but to each their own. I think it is kinda dumb really but it's just a phone. It doesnt matter what they call them though some names like the "Desire" are lame. I prefer something simple like GS3, GS4,G2, and what iPhone does.

munakib

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2011
Buy a new one for 200...I did, now i can wait for the 10th and see what Apple has to offer, if the iPhone price is right for me - then I can always send the phone back to google (within the 15day return policy).

I am actually targeting the iPhone 5, provided the 5s is released at 5's price and 5 gets 100$ cheaper.

Easy choice.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
I've wanted to try Android but couldn't commit to it with a two year contract, and I also couldn't justify off-contract pricing. I bought one.

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
it's a great device and with that LOW price i will have to buy it.:D you should never miss such good deals.

munakib

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2011
and pay 15% restocking plus shipping.

Return Shipping is free. and 15% restocking fee depends on how well you handle it with their customer service. Some customers did get waived on it.

Anyways, IMHO, buying a used item for 50$ less is not a good purchase thats what my advice was to my previous poster.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Buyer Beware:

This phone responds to spills/drops WAY worse than any other phone I have ever owned. And I've owned some sensitive phones. I've owned almost every generation iPhone, Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, HTC phones, iPad's.

This phone literally cracks/breaks at the smallest of spills.

Get this phone if you intend to CRADLE it every day. Literally do not even drop it on carpet or throw it onto your bed lightly. Don't put heavy objects near it. Cherish it like it's a glass of acid that you're carrying without protective gloves.

I dropped it a little less than a foot on carpet and it shattered. Bottom half of the screen is unresponsive and cracked.

People will disagree with what I say, but trust me, I'm not alone in this:

http://phandroid.com/2013/04/11/nexus-4-rant/

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...ive-google-lg-do-not-take-responsibility.html

http://www.ciol.com/ciol/news/188602/does-lg-nexus-glass-cracking

It's very discouraging when snobby people respond saying stuff like "OH but you dropped it right?! END OF DISCUSSION IT'S YOUR FAULT". Uh no...

If I make a smart phone that shatters as soon as you slightly close your hands, can I blame the user for crushing it with his bare hands? A phone is something that will ALWAYS be prone to drops. It's a PHONE. Things you hold in your hand while you walk around are prone to spills and should be designed to sustain these events. Instead, we're treading butt backwards into what electronics were like in the 50's and 60's where you have to baby them and cradle them around in your arms like a baby.

Ironically, Apple builds better products in this regard. The iPad Mini? Dropped in four or five different directions. You'll get a cracked screen but the whole thing is functional. Same with iPhone 5. My friend dropped one down some stairs and it literally banged corner to corner on about 5-6 steps. He picked it up and- Screen was fractured. Everything still worked.

Samsung devices? Same story. I dropped my S3 on concrete. Picked it up and nothing was wrong with it. Dropped it on concrete again and felt like an idiot (It really is super slippery) and it had a VERY small chip in the glass along the bezel.

People drop their phones but no phone should be THIS sensitive. So be warned. If you buy it, baby it.

munakib

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2011
Thanks for the advice...did you ever drop an iPhone 4 or 4s? Yes there are actually plenty shattered front and back iPhone 4's around, i see it all the time on the subway. You can always get the band for the nexus if not a proper protector. For me, its 200$'s and a temporary stop till iPhone 6 - the device wont have a resale value anyways so I am just going to put a full body shield (Skinomi/zagg) and hope i dont drop it (managed to survive with my 4 and 4s for over 2 years).

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Buyer Beware:

This phone responds to spills/drops WAY worse than any other phone I have ever owned. And I've owned some sensitive phones. I've owned almost every generation iPhone, Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, HTC phones, iPad's.

This phone literally cracks/breaks at the smallest of spills.

Get this phone if you intend to CRADLE it every day. Literally do not even drop it on carpet or throw it onto your bed lightly. Don't put heavy objects near it. Cherish it like it's a glass of acid that you're carrying without protective gloves.

I dropped it a little less than a foot on carpet and it shattered. Bottom half of the screen is unresponsive and cracked.

People will disagree with what I say, but trust me, I'm not alone in this:

http://phandroid.com/2013/04/11/nexus-4-rant/

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...ive-google-lg-do-not-take-responsibility.html

http://www.ciol.com/ciol/news/188602/does-lg-nexus-glass-cracking

It's very discouraging when snobby people respond saying stuff like "OH but you dropped it right?! END OF DISCUSSION IT'S YOUR FAULT". Uh no...

If I make a smart phone that shatters as soon as you slightly close your hands, can I blame the user for crushing it with his bare hands? A phone is something that will ALWAYS be prone to drops. It's a PHONE. Things you hold in your hand while you walk around are prone to spills and should be designed to sustain these events. Instead, we're treading butt backwards into what electronics were like in the 50's and 60's where you have to baby them and cradle them around in your arms like a baby.

Ironically, Apple builds better products in this regard. The iPad Mini? Dropped in four or five different directions. You'll get a cracked screen but the whole thing is functional. Same with iPhone 5. My friend dropped one down some stairs and it literally banged corner to corner on about 5-6 steps. He picked it up and- Screen was fractured. Everything still worked.

Samsung devices? Same story. I dropped my S3 on concrete. Picked it up and nothing was wrong with it. Dropped it on concrete again and felt like an idiot (It really is super slippery) and it had a VERY small chip in the glass along the bezel.

People drop their phones but no phone should be THIS sensitive. So be warned. If you buy it, baby it.
Great post and warning shot from an actual owner.

I've read too many horror stories of this phone cracking easier than eggs after being cradled too death.

$199-$249 is still a great price for a smartphone and if most people's sole intent is buying the powerful innards and latest Android software.

That is the only two advantages I see from the Nexus 4. Cheap price and stock Android. But for a main phone in the long term, there is just too many minuses as well like no expandable memory, anemic onboard storage, 3-4 hr screen time battery, no removable battery, mediocre camera, dodgy reception, and fragile glass back.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Thanks for the advice...did you ever drop an iPhone 4 or 4s? Yes there are actually plenty shattered front and back iPhone 4's around, i see it all the time on the subway. You can always get the band for the nexus if not a proper protector. For me, its 200$'s and a temporary stop till iPhone 6 - the device wont have a resale value anyways so I am just going to put a full body shield (Skinomi/zagg) and hope i dont drop it (managed to survive with my 4 and 4s for over 2 years).

I owned a Verizon iPhone 4 for almost a year. I dropped it a few times in relatively predictable environments like down the side of my car seat or on the floor next to my desk when I'm reaching for it while I'm gaming. Not even a smudge. And I used it naked for a while because I got sick of how it looked with a ridiculous case on it.

It makes me so frustrated that these phones are designed to look so gorgeous and well built only for you to throw them inside of some atrocious looking Iron Man Mach I case. I'll agree with a bumper MAYBE and a scratch guard. But a fully blown ballistics case with a second plastic screen window and a BELT CLIP?! If that's required, I say nay.

And the N4 requires it.

For the records, the best built phone for naked use is actually the S4. It absorbs spills so well and scratches are REALLY hard to see on a flat colored plastic bezel.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
The 8 gig one is now sold out and sources say it may not be in stock again ever.

New nexus closer than we thought? I doubt it as there would be leaks by now but who knows.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Return Shipping is free. and 15% restocking fee depends on how well you handle it with their customer service. Some customers did get waived on it.

Anyways, IMHO, buying a used item for 50$ less is not a good purchase thats what my advice was to my previous poster.

I would agree, but it all depends on the price of the device. If you are talking about something that is $199 new, you just saved 1/4 the price of the phone. That is a pretty good deal.

----------

I agree with you there. I think we are still a month or two away.

do they even have an I/O conference scheduled yet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.