Nexus 4 (update)

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by mattopotamus, May 14, 2013.

1. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

A big rumor now is that the nexus 4 will be getting updated at the I/O. I am curious as to what would make current nexus 4 owners upgrade?

-LTE
    -storage
    -spec bump
    -camera

What would it take to make you drop another ~$299?

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

All of the above plus a better calibrated screen.

3. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Full 1080p. T-mobile LTE, 32 GB storage and a $50 instant rebate

4. torana355, May 14, 2013
    Last edited: May 14, 2013

torana355 macrumors 68020

I love my Nexus 4 and see no need to upgrade to a spec bumped model, all the upgrades you have listed would be great but are not a necessity for me. I will wait for the Nexus 5 :D The other downside to the Nexus 4 is the earpiece and speakerphone quality, an upgrade to them would get me close to upgrading.

5. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

16GB will probably be at the $299 price point and 32GB will be at the $350 price point (similar to what they did with the Nexus 7).

I could see LTE.

I could see a white version, too. It's been spotted multiple times in the wild.

Spec bump and camera bump? That's a little harder to believe (I don't think they've ever done that before. Why not save it for the new 2013 Nexus?)... but would be great.

I'm really hoping we'll see the 2013 Nexus 7.

6. mattopotamus thread starter macrumors G5

mattopotamus

IMO that is a major factor. No matter what they do, I think they need to offer some kind of discount to people who previously bought a N4 off the play store.

Having lived without LTE this long, I think it will take more than that. A better camera would probably push me over the edge. Also, every one I have owned/seen has a really bad issue with the digitizer below the screen showing.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1771102&d=1362151552

7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i won't drop another $400 just for an updated nexus 4. there's no t-mobile lte around me, so that wouldn't sway me, and i still think 1080p resolution is overkill for a phone.

8. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Better screen, battery, and lte is what it needs

9. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

I like high resolution. It is the bomb. The only bad thing is that storage space doesn't keep pace, so I have to make a tough decision as to whether I want to store my 5000x3000 pixel photographs on the phone or resize them to save space

10. Deadlake macrumors newbie

While I like the nexus 4 case, the HTC one aluminium just feels so much better in my hand. A better camera would not also go a miss and LTE would be good. As for screen, hopefully the same size, HTC one and S4 are a little large....

11. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

12. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

All it would take to get me on board would be the following:

-LTE support
    -32gb version

Anything after that is cake (remember, this is to me so YMMV). I'm just not sure I could go back to a HSPA-only device now that I've got LTE all over my area.

What I wouldn't mind seeing?

-Improved camera

For those of you asking for an improved screen, you do know you can fix that by rooting and using one of the many tools or ROMs that allow you to calibrate the screen to your liking, right? And please don't reply by saying "I shouldn't have to root my phone..." It's a damned Nexus...those things are MEANT to be tinkered with. If you're against rooting your phone, you definitely got the wrong one in a Nexus.

13. zbarvian macrumors 68010

I feel like the Nexus 4 is just too much decent and not enough good. It could use a better screen (not 1080p), 16 GB at baseline, much better battery life, a better camera, and LTE. It's really not far off from being a killer phone at an amazing price.

14. mattopotamus thread starter macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I can completely agree with that, but the price pushes it up a notch. Realistically, I could make a nexus phone stay relevant much longer than any other phone on the market.

15. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

not just that, streaming video will take up a lot more bandwidth, especially hard if lte isn't around. and a lot of times, 1080p video just isn't available. will viewing 720p content on a 1080p screen be as good an experience as on a 720p screen? and i honestly don't know, but don't apps have to be re-written to take advantage of the higher resolution, particularly games?

i strongly believe the $299 price turns overall decent phone into a really good one. i know i wouldn't have bought one otherwise.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I thought the bigger rumor was that there will be no hardware announcements at google I/O

http://www.t3.com/news/no-hardware-launches-at-google-i-o

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/0...hardware-announcements-or-changes-to-android/

17. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

people see what they want to see.

18. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Just give me better camera and i will shut up :)

19. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

Apparently it's gonna be available in white. I don't like it though haha

http://youtu.be/4bTBFViui94

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Embedded for you

And yeah, think it looks a bit tasteless. Like someones gone and bejazzeled it.

21. streetfoldsfive macrumors 6502

streetfoldsfive

Would have to say if a Nexus 4 with better battery, camera, LTE on Verizon was announced I would sell my Note II on ebay almost Immediately and buy one. Google if you are looking for a quick way to a man's heart. Thats it.

22. ajumbaje macrumors 6502

ajumbaje

Is the audio pretty good on the phone? Currently have an iPhone 4S and use it a lot for music(headphones and in car)

23. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

24. iRobajob macrumors newbie

iRobajob