Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
A big rumor now is that the nexus 4 will be getting updated at the I/O. I am curious as to what would make current nexus 4 owners upgrade?

-LTE
-storage
-spec bump
-camera

What would it take to make you drop another ~$299?

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
A big rumor now is that the nexus 4 will be getting updated at the I/O. I am curious as to what would make current nexus 4 owners upgrade?

-LTE
-storage
-spec bump
-camera

Full 1080p. T-mobile LTE, 32 GB storage and a $50 instant rebate

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia

-LTE
-storage
-spec bump
-camera

I love my Nexus 4 and see no need to upgrade to a spec bumped model, all the upgrades you have listed would be great but are not a necessity for me. I will wait for the Nexus 5 :D The other downside to the Nexus 4 is the earpiece and speakerphone quality, an upgrade to them would get me close to upgrading.

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
16GB will probably be at the $299 price point and 32GB will be at the $350 price point (similar to what they did with the Nexus 7).

I could see LTE.

I could see a white version, too. It's been spotted multiple times in the wild.

Spec bump and camera bump? That's a little harder to believe (I don't think they've ever done that before. Why not save it for the new 2013 Nexus?)... but would be great.

I'm really hoping we'll see the 2013 Nexus 7.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Full 1080p. T-mobile LTE, 32 GB storage and a $50 instant rebate

IMO that is a major factor. No matter what they do, I think they need to offer some kind of discount to people who previously bought a N4 off the play store.

Having lived without LTE this long, I think it will take more than that. A better camera would probably push me over the edge. Also, every one I have owned/seen has a really bad issue with the digitizer below the screen showing.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1771102&d=1362151552

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i won't drop another $400 just for an updated nexus 4. there's no t-mobile lte around me, so that wouldn't sway me, and i still think 1080p resolution is overkill for a phone.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
i won't drop another $400 just for an updated nexus 4. there's no t-mobile lte around me, so that wouldn't sway me, and i still think 1080p resolution is overkill for a phone.

I like high resolution. It is the bomb. The only bad thing is that storage space doesn't keep pace, so I have to make a tough decision as to whether I want to store my 5000x3000 pixel photographs on the phone or resize them to save space

Deadlake

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
While I like the nexus 4 case, the HTC one aluminium just feels so much better in my hand. A better camera would not also go a miss and LTE would be good. As for screen, hopefully the same size, HTC one and S4 are a little large....

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
All it would take to get me on board would be the following:

-LTE support
-32gb version

Anything after that is cake (remember, this is to me so YMMV). I'm just not sure I could go back to a HSPA-only device now that I've got LTE all over my area.

What I wouldn't mind seeing?

-Improved camera

For those of you asking for an improved screen, you do know you can fix that by rooting and using one of the many tools or ROMs that allow you to calibrate the screen to your liking, right? And please don't reply by saying "I shouldn't have to root my phone..." It's a damned Nexus...those things are MEANT to be tinkered with. If you're against rooting your phone, you definitely got the wrong one in a Nexus.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I feel like the Nexus 4 is just too much decent and not enough good. It could use a better screen (not 1080p), 16 GB at baseline, much better battery life, a better camera, and LTE. It's really not far off from being a killer phone at an amazing price.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
I feel like the Nexus 4 is just too much decent and not enough good. It could use a better screen (not 1080p), 16 GB at baseline, much better battery life, a better camera, and LTE. It's really not far off from being a killer phone at an amazing price.

I can completely agree with that, but the price pushes it up a notch. Realistically, I could make a nexus phone stay relevant much longer than any other phone on the market.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
I like high resolution. It is the bomb. The only bad thing is that storage space doesn't keep pace, so I have to make a tough decision as to whether I want to store my 5000x3000 pixel photographs on the phone or resize them to save space

not just that, streaming video will take up a lot more bandwidth, especially hard if lte isn't around. and a lot of times, 1080p video just isn't available. will viewing 720p content on a 1080p screen be as good an experience as on a 720p screen? and i honestly don't know, but don't apps have to be re-written to take advantage of the higher resolution, particularly games?

I can completely agree with that, but the price pushes it up a notch. Realistically, I could make a nexus phone stay relevant much longer than any other phone on the market.

i strongly believe the $299 price turns overall decent phone into a really good one. i know i wouldn't have bought one otherwise.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I thought the bigger rumor was that there will be no hardware announcements at google I/O

http://www.t3.com/news/no-hardware-launches-at-google-i-o

Looking forward to seeing new hardware at Google I/O 2013? Looks like you're going to be disappointed, after Google's new Android boss said the event will be focused on developers, not hardware.

Speaking to Wired about his new job, Sundar Pichair said that there would not be a raft of new hardware unveiled at the event.

Instead, Pichair – who replaced former Android boss Andy Rubin in March this year – said that the event will focus on "all of the kinds of things we're doing for developers, so that they can write better things [for Android and Chrome OS]".

"It's not a time when we have much in the way of launches of new products or a new operating system," he added. "We will show how Google services are doing amazing things on top of these two platforms."

He also confirmed that the company is looking at ways to solve the issue of staggered Android updates for different phones.

"We are thinking about how to make Android handle updates better," he said. "We see ways we can do this. It's early days.

In the past, Google executives have said off record that making sure phones can be updated are the responsibility of the manufacturers. However, Pichair's comments suggest that Google's approach to updates may be changing.

"We're talking with our partners and working our way through it," he said. "We need time to figure out the mechanics, but it's definitely an area of focus for me and the team."

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/0...hardware-announcements-or-changes-to-android/

Google I/O: Don’t Expect Major Hardware Announcements Or Changes to Android
Chuong Nguyen — 05/14/2013

Google’s I/O developer conference this year will be a big event for Google and for Android devotees, but don’t expect any major hardware announcements or revolutionary changes to the Android operating system. Android’s new chief Sundar Pichai had sat down in an interview with Wired to hint at what to expect at Google I/O, which is scheduled to kick off on Wednesday, and to temper expectations on any hardware that may be coming out of that conference.

“It’s not a time when we have much in the way of launches of new products or a new operating system,” Pichai bluntly says. Instead, the company will be focused on services and creating the backbone needed for developers to take the Android experience to the next level.

“Both on Android and Chrome, we’re going to focus this I/O on all of the kinds of things we’re doing for developers, so that they can write better things. We will show how Google services are doing amazing things on top of these two platforms.”

One such service is expanding Google’s focus on gaming, and we’ve seen that a Google Play Games hub was leaked recently. With Play Games, Google could go head-to-head with both Apple’s Game Center and Microsoft’s Games hub on Windows Phone by offering Android gamers achievements, leaderboards, social game play, and the ability to save game progress in the cloud.

And a focus on services makes sense. Google doesn’t make money licensing Android–it freely gives away the OS to manufacturers to embed and use on hardware. Where Google makes money is through advertising, collecting user behavior on mobile through services like Google Now, and sales of digital content after the device has been purchased like through the Play Store. Better supporting the Android services will help Google lure in developers who are hoping to monetize on Android.

Another reason is that Google is finally starting to ship Google Glass to developers. It will likely need the time at I/O to work with developers and offer them guidance on how to create apps and craft experiences for Glass as the hardware will be launching for consumers sometime in 2014.

Still, even without any significant or major hardware or Android OS announcement, it’s hard to not get excited about the future of Android in a competitive ecosystem war at I/O, which is scheduled to happen at around the same time as Nokia’s London event and BlackBerry’s developer conference on the East Coast.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011

-LTE
-storage
-spec bump
-camera

Just give me better camera and i will shut up :)

streetfoldsfive

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2012
Would have to say if a Nexus 4 with better battery, camera, LTE on Verizon was announced I would sell my Note II on ebay almost Immediately and buy one. Google if you are looking for a quick way to a man's heart. Thats it.

ajumbaje

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2005
VA
Is the audio pretty good on the phone? Currently have an iPhone 4S and use it a lot for music(headphones and in car)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.