Phones Nexus 4 v iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by stripedsnake, Jul 15, 2013.

1. stripedsnake macrumors member

So, sold my old unused iPhone 4s that I had sitting around. Currently using a Nexus 4 but thinking about going to an iPhone 5. I don't see too many reasons to wait for the purported 5s. Made the mistake of using my upgrade to a get a HTC OneX and was the worst mistake ever. Paying the price now as I'm looking at the 5 - $550 out of pocket for a 32gig. Made enough off the 4s to being it back down to about $330.

Am I stupid to be upgrade so close to the possible release of the iPhone 5s?

Nexus 4 and android is amazing for what it is - major gripes are oddities with the OS, crashes, etc. Not that iOS doesn't have that, but seem to have more on android. Closest its been to iOS though. Screen on the iPhone is better for sure - so is the camera. And I sorely miss Tweetbot. Also, since the Nexus 4 is unlocked but optimized for Tmobile, I have tons of dropped cellular signal.
    Biggest problem is that being an iPhone owner since the beginning, and having an iPad through the years, I have invested a lot into Apple eco. A lot more than Android. Cant justify rebuying apps I already own.

Torn. Wait it out or crave to temptation. Any insight?

2. Xplicit iPhone macrumors newbie

Just sell the htcone x then you'll have enough money. Or if you've upgraded within this month , mobile carriers usually do a " if you're not pleased with this phone" thing

3. waa1futs macrumors 6502

Yes.

4. cynics macrumors G3

Wait for the 5S.

If it ends up being something amazing get that.

If not the 5 will go down in price so you'll save money.

5. Shuri macrumors 6502

Since Apple's devices don't get cheaper continuously, but in steps, their value for money ratio drops over time, until the next iteration is being released.

So the best ratio will be achieved on day 1, whereas the worst is going to be the last day before the price drop, so in short: Imo you really shouldn't get any new iPhone by now. (There might be exceptions, like good offerings from other sellers)

As it was mentioned before; be patient and when the 5S arrives, you can go for it or save some cash.

6. cledet macrumors regular

cledet

Even though nothing was announced yet, Apple releases an iPhone every year. Definitely wait for a few more months for the iPhone 5S.

7. TheProFTW macrumors regular

*high five*

Made the same mistake, but with the HTC One X+, meaning I paid $200 on contract, and got a phone that is as boring as the One X, with less battery life and overheating that burns your fingers.

Everyone's gonna say iPhone 5 here, but let me tell you:

Nexus 4:

Good: Has a bigger screen, less likely to get mugged for it (if you're worried about that), Android and all the ROMs you could install, faster than the One X, since it has stock android, Cheaper out of contract, doesn't bend ;)

Bad: The camera feels like the iPhone 4 camera, less chances of getting your screen replaced if it cracks (Believe me, I'm suffering right now with my cracked screen on the One X+), no apple support (Prepare you mail your phone and wait a few months until getting it replaced for a warranty issue), no LTE, a bit slower than the iPhone 5

iPhone 5:

Good: Fast!, iOS ease of use, apple support, easy screen replacement (Every single store can replace your screen, and apple itself too), better camera, more storage if you get the 32GB version, LTE, lots of accessories

Bad: Expensive, no modifications except for jailbreak, smaller screen.

8. stripedsnake thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, One X was garbage in comparison to the Nexus 4 - its why I got the Nexus 4 in the first place. On top of that, HTC really screwed over their customers with software upgrades. Took them like 8 months to get to the latest version of Android when GS3 was on it for 3 months.

When the 5s comes out, they will do the same thing with the 5 as the 4s and only keep the 16 gig around. That doesn't work for me - I need 32 gigs minimum. And if all the fingerprint scanner rumors are true, I flat out dont want it. One more thing to break or cause issues.

Very seriously considering a 5 at this point and using the Nexus 4 as my backup. Get a prepaid sim for it or something.