Nexus 5 Camera with 4.4 and 4.4.1

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Lloydbm41, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Lloydbm41, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013

Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Downloaded the api for the new camera today and took some indoor photo's with the old camera and the new camera, all indoors with flourescent lighting, since that was the real issue with the old camera, using HDR+ with the 4.4 camera and HDR+ and normal mode with 4.4.1. (Note: MacRumors photo storage has shrunk the file size down to 1.17mp and pixel density to 600x600. No shots were altered otherwise. No flash was used.)
    This is literally take the phone out, start it up and take a shot. Of note, the camera does adjust a ton faster in normal indoor light, but still has about a second lag in low light scenes trying to focus. To be fair, most cameras take an extra second to adjust in low light environments though.

(My personal opinion is that the new camera api, in HDR+ mode gives me the least amount of noise, most amount of clarity and more accurate color reproduction.)

Now for the photos:

This is the old 4.4 camera with HDR+ mode on:
    [​IMG]

New camera apk 4.4.1 with HDR+ on:
    [​IMG]

New camera apk 4.4.1 without HDR+ (aka normal mode):
    [​IMG]

This is the old 4.4 camera with HDR+ mode on:
    Width: 3264 Height: 2448
    File size: 1.4MB
    Focal Length: 3.97mm
    Aperature 2.40
    Exposure Time: 0.125
    ISO: 176
    [​IMG]

New camera apk 4.4.1 with HDR+ on:
    Width: 3200 Height: 2368
    File size: 1.7MB
    Aperature 2.53
    Exposure Time: 0.02568
    ISO: 296
    [​IMG]

New camera apk 4.4.1 without HDR+ (aka normal mode):
    Width: 3264 Height: 2448
    File size: 1.5MB
    Aperature 2.40
    Exposure Time: 0.08333
    ISO: 143
    [​IMG]

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

They actually look much better without HDR than 4.4 did. What is the shutter speed difference between HDR+ on and off. Is it really noticeable?

3. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

4. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Shutter spped is significantly faster in normal indoor lighting conditions (or outside). Roughly .25 to .5 of a second (my guestimate). I should have done some onscreen video (didn't even think to do it today. Will do a vid tomorrow if people are interested.)

In low light indoors, it feels about the same. Roughly 1-2 seconds to lock with green, assuming you get green. Sometimes it gives you red and the pic has a lot of noise or is blurred. Google still needs a better sensor IMO!)

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Thanks. That still is really good. Even in the current state, I have been able to capture really good pics.

6. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

I added in file size, aperature, exposure time and ISO for the last 3 shots above to show the difference between 4.4 with HDR, 4.4.1 with HDR and 4.4.1 without.

It appears that HDR+ on 4.4.1 lets in less light and has a very short exposure time compared to the other two, and it looks like they auto-compensated for darker interior lighting with a higher ISO. Maybe that is why HDR+ on 4.4.1 looks the best to me?

For those unfamiliar with ISO settings, the majority of dumb, aim and shoot stand alone cameras is usually preset to around 100. The higher you go, usually means less light or you want to capture action shots.

7. OhHaiThere macrumors regular

OhHaiThere

It's important to understand why P&S prefer lower ISO. As ISO goes up so does the noise. A good sensor is required to have lower noise at high ISO. ISO and shutter speed go hand in hand, so if you want to capture action shots you'll prefer a fast shutter speed and light permitting still use as low of an ISO that you can.

8. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

looks like pre update was more of a RAW image which could be better manipulated in digital editing