Nexus 5 owners.

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Southernboyj, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Does anyone else's device charge extremely slowly via USB?

If I put my phone on a QI charger, it charges fine. But, if I connect it to the charger that came in the box, it charges *extremely* slow.

If I use the phone while it's connected to a usb charger, it actually loses battery.

I contacted Google, and they think it's a faulty charger but said they'd have to replace the entire device. Which I really don't want to do.

2. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Do you have another cable/wall adapter you can try? The one that came with mine works as it should.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

USB charging is always slow. Wall outlet or the pad will be your best bet.

4. rockitdog macrumors 68020

^this^

5. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I am wall charging, you still need to use the USB cable. And I don't think you understand what I mean by slow. It went up 3% in 2 hours.

----------

After trying to charge the device with an iPhone 5 charger, I can confirm it is the LG charger that is faulty, not the Nexus 5 itself.

Strangely though, Google will only replace it if they can place a hold for $400 on my account and replace my Nexus 5 as well. I really didn't want to have to replace the phone too for just a fault charger.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Gotcha. I thought you actually meant USB charging via a computer. That sounds defective. I use the stock charger and it is very fast.

7. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Mine charges fine with the charger that it came with. Why dont you want s new unit? Just curious. My phone is perfect except the power button is a little loose , but i have a spigen slim armor case on it and that holds it just fine.

8. viskon macrumors 6502

I don't have an N5, but I do have devices that charge very slow on any cable other than the one that came with the device.

9. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Cable usually means nothing, unless you had a poor quality one. Voltage output is what matters. A lot of cheaper and older Android phones won't go much higher than .5 amps because it was cheaper to manufacture than 1 and 2 amp chargers. Flagship and better quality phones, including iPhone and Windows use between 1 and 2 amp chargers (or should I say 'plug adaptors' as the charger is actually in the phone.)

If your plug adaptor is faulty and only producing around .1 Amp (even at 5 volts), you will have a very, very slow charge rate and potentially dangerous adaptor!
    I would use your wireless charger. It will take roughly 45 minutes longer to charge a dead phone, but worth it for the safety factor. Or simply buy another 5 dollar wall plug. :D

10. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I've been switching phones a lot lately, and I simply don't want to have to get another Nexus 5, and have to go through the process of setting it up. Especially since my Nexus 5 is perfect, minus the wall adapter. Not to mention Google would be holding $400 from my bank account for several weeks.

Seems like more trouble than it's worth.

11. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Using franco kernel it charges super fast for me.

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Returns are the worst with google. They take a month to refund you. They are the say way with paying you for jobs. They say the check is ready when it's not and hold the money for as long as possible.