Nexus 6 speculation

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Tig Bitties, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Tig Bitties, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014

Tig Bitties macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

So it's getting closer to another Nexus phone release in three months. What do we expect or think we will be getting ?

- Google officially announced the Nexus smartphone is NOT dead, and will continue on, even with the upcoming 'Silver' line coming in 2015, which is basically a new name for the GPE line, but with more support from carriers and advertising, and more players involved, etc...

- Most expect it to be named the Nexus 6

- 5.2" to 5.5" screen size has been rumored for the Nexus-Six

- Snapdragon 805 also expected to be in the Nexus-Six

- Asus has been rumored to be the manufacturer this time around. Rumors last year several reports came out that Google wanted LG to start making the Nexus Tablet and have Asus switch to the Nexus smartphone, to help keep costs down. But who knows ? I also heard Sony could be up for it. But LG is out, they even stated so.

- Same price range of $399 is pretty much set.

- October announcement, with a November release has been the trend for the Nexus phone.

2. Schnedi macrumors 6502a

Schnedi

if they want to make a Phablet i won't be changing my N5 for the N6.

i hope they make it with Motorola/Lenovo, Sony or HTC.

3. iHackPro macrumors regular

Before Motorola was sold to Lenovo, I was hoping that they would be making the next Nexus device. The Moto X is a wonderful device and would love to have them make the next Nexus device.

4. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Won't be Asus. Won't be Sony. And it won't be made by LG.
    In fact, Sony is unlikely to ever get a contract from Google for anything.

5. nick_elt macrumors 68000

nick_elt

Speculation is that the only nexus device is a tablet by htc and there wont be any more nexus phones

6. Tig Bitties thread starter macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

Uh nope;

The Nexus device program isn't going away
    http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-device-program-isnt-going-away

Nexus program manager says Nexus devices “can’t ever go away
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/06/nexus-program-manager-says-nexus-devices-cant-ever-go-away/

Pop the champagne: the Nexus line is officially here to stay
    http://phandroid.com/2014/06/26/google-android-nexus-is-here-to-stay/

There will be a sixth generation Nexus smartphone this Fall, 100% guaranteed. Just nobody knows which company will be on board with Google yet ?

7. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

My bet is HTC - which would be sweet given what HTC is putting out there hardware wise lately.

My question is....when the 6 is announced (or just before) will there be a discount on the 5? I never paid much attention to what happened with the 4 when the 5 came out. As much as I like the idea of an HTC Nexus 6, if it's 5.5", that'll be too big for my liking, and I'm looking for as cheap an option as I can get.

8. Tig Bitties thread starter macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

If not LG, not Sony, and you say not Asus, then who's left ? Samsung no ***** way in hell Google let's them make another Nexus device. HTC is already rumored to be making the Nexus 8 Tablet, so I doubt they'd let HTC also make the Nexus 6, if already doing the Tab.

And Motorola I would think not this year, with Google selling them off this year, and they would put all their eggs in the Moto 1X+ or whatever their new high end flagship will be called, no time for a Nexus phone this year.

I am still betting in this order;

-Asus
    - Sony
    - HTC

9. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

You will never see a Sony Nexus device. HTC or Asus are reasonable assumptions.

10. Tig Bitties thread starter macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

Yes on the discount, typically Google cuts the price down big time a month before the next Nexus release, so like Sept / Oct you should see the Nexus 5 selling for like $249, and possibly $199. The Nexus 4 did get down to $199.

11. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Boss - I'm picking one up for sure. Its gonna be an EXPENSIVE fall/winter lol....

12. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

A successor to the HTC Nexus One would be nice!

[​IMG]

I absolutely loved my Nexus One (beside the flaky power button that inevitably went wrong) and would love to see another HTC Nexus with the new M7/M8 design philosophy and possibly materials used in it.

Minus the UltraPixel camera of course... :p

13. Tig Bitties thread starter macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

That's not guaranteed for sure. I just know both the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 had reduced prices around the time they were 11 months old or so. Typically was a $50 - $75 savings off original price.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

What Tig said. Don't procrastinate either b.c when the price drops it will just disappear from the play store with no warning and will be gone forever!

15. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

AHH - but I can't justify more than $400 for what would essentially be my 3rd string phone.....

I'll be watching it closely.

16. Tig Bitties thread starter macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

Me too :D An HTC Nexus-Six would be AMAZING. I have the HTC One M8, running a GPE ROM, and I LOVE this phone, my fav phone ever. So imagine a next gen One M8, with newer hardware, but in the Nexus deign theme, wow :cool: I also owned the Nexus-One back in the day, i traded in my iPhone 3G for it :)

But rumors so far are on the next Nexus smartphone are so scarce right now, just no way telling which partner Google chose yet. I still think it's gonna be Asus ( to keep costs down and make the phone affordable ), and maybe possibly HTC or Sony.

17. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

If it isn't larger than 5", I might consider it.....but will likely be outa my price range.

I'm a huge fan of HTC - best skinned Android and best Android hardware IMO.

18. Tig Bitties thread starter macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

Google Nexus 6 Will Not Be Made by Us: LG Executive
    http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/google-nexus-6-will-not-be-made-by-us-lg-executive-543802

Nexus 6 Release Date & Specs: Expect It October/November Time
    http://www.knowyourmobile.com/devic...ase-date-specs-expect-it-octobernovember-time

Google Nexus 6 smartphone still en route despite Android Silver
    http://www.itechpost.com/articles/1...one-still-en-route-despite-android-silver.htm

----------

LOL it will be Oppo :p

Rumors say a 5.5" screen, and the OnePlus One has that. Wouldn't that be crazy, if Oppo got the Nexus-Six contract, and was a better spec'd phone than the OnePlus for the same price.

19. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Yes to those last two.

Asus may be a decent enough offering given the nexus 7 2013 model but Sony or HTC would be best case scenario. :D

20. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

It would be the greatest phone that 3 people ever owned.

21. SpoonCody macrumors 6502

What will the Nexus be missing this round? :T

The Nexus line offers a great bang for your buck, but I can't help but feel there's always something missing. They do seem to get better and more well rounded each time around, though, so we'll see. I still have my eyes set on the MX2 and iPhone 6 until then.

22. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

camera as always. That seems to be where they can save money the most. That and the antennas are usually slightly weaker.

23. SpoonCody macrumors 6502

I wish I could say more, but my Moto X's camera is pretty sad, too.

Great signals though.

24. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Why not Sony? Just trying to understand why some people are ruling it out

25. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I really hope it's not HTC, their hardware is awful. It looks cool but it will fall apart if you look at it wrong in my experience. Even the HTC One has a very high return rate due to faults according to someone I know who does smartphones for businesses.