Tablets Nexus 7 4g Verizon - opinions?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by bsharrah, Feb 28, 2014.

1. bsharrah macrumors member

Always used Apple devices but have been curious to try Android, and have lately been considering a small tablet with 4g service, but don't want to add another costly ipad to the collection.

Noticed Verizon is running a sale on the Nexus 7 4g tablets this weekend. They are $99 with 2 year contract or $349 out right. Seems like a really sweet deal when you consider total cost over two years is less than the price of the device without a contract.

Guess I am just looking for thoughts and opinions about the device, service, and whether others feel this is a really good deal. Already have iphone service with Verizon.

Just feels like a win win. Get to experience Android, get a mini tablet with 4g, and don't need to break the bank.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You said it yourself, the total cost of ownership is higher then if you buy it outright. Do you want to be locked into 2 year contract with a tablet?

I'd look to get a N7 that isn't cellular if you are only interested in seeing what android is about.

3. bsharrah thread starter macrumors member

Actually, the total cost is LESS than buying outright. Total cost of tablet and 2y contract is $340. Total cost of 4g N7 w/o contract $349. Granted, wifi model can be had for $199 but I would only be interested in a 4g tablet if I was spending the money.

I don't want to spend the money just to experience Android, and don't want to spend the money on a 4g iPad, but since I have been curious about Android and would like a 4g tablet for when I am out and about, this just seemed like a good idea. Just not sold on it yet.