Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AzN1337c0d3r

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2010
iTunes is no longer required. I actually don't know anyone with an iOS device who still uses iTunes to sync.

On the other hand, I have seen iOS devices handed to everyone from small children, to grandmothers, and they were all able to figure it out just fine :)

How do you get non-iTunes-Store music onto your iOS device then?

Takashi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
Don't be fooled by the people telling you the Nexus 7 is as good and save the money. The Apple experience is still SO much better than the Nexus. Feel good about your mini.

I have a Nexus 7 that I use to develop work applications - since we are too cheap to buy iPhones for our workers, so they get Androids (unless you're an executive, then you get an iPhone).

Have mini on order but I'm thinking why am I spending so much money on the mini when I can just use this $250 Nexus like my iPad? So I tried.

On paper it's got all the right specs. The major apps are all there. Why not?

Just like Apple used to say, the i<stuff> "just works". 70% of the Nexus is a struggle:

* Mail is fine. No issues there. Except that you get a gMail app and a mail app. Spent a while trying to add my imap mail to the google mail app before I realized there was an other app for email. Got that now.

* Web browser (chrome) is OK. But text is not much better than the mini (a little). Still need to expand it to read. What's really missing is the READER feature of Safari. Works brilliantly to give you nice readable web page on the mini.

* Tried to watch a movie off my DLNA server. First go off to the Play store. Download and install the highest rated app or two. Klunky interface but finds my server. Try to play. No video player embedded in the DLNA app. Huh? Need to use a separate add on video player. Download one. Works crappy. Plays one type but not the other. Download another one. Plays both but has all kind of weird screens before and after playing. Oh yeah, neither seems to remember where I stopped off if I stop a movie mid way. No 30 second forward or skip buttons. Download a few more video players. Ugh. Finally have one that sees to work.

Whoops, accidentally got into screen shot mode on this player. Takes a picture. Pops up again. Hit cancel, takes another picture. Stuck in loop. Reboot. Now have about 10 screenshots in some folder somewhere. Have to go download a file app to find the pictures and delete them.

Now I'm using the tablet in portrait. Every time I play a video it spins over to landscape mode. Have to turn tablet. Stop playing. Goes back to portrait, turn back. No way to stop it from turning sideways.

Figure, let's just use the ABC app and watch it there. Nothing in the play store from ABC networks. Lots of kid games and apps from local affiliates. Give up on that.

I could go on...

Now I know some of this is just finding the good apps. I also know that your common apps like Groupon, maps, Angry birds are going to be OK. But it's still the wild west out there on a Nexus.

****It's designed by engineers and that's exactly how it behaves.****

It's gotten better over the years. Android 4.x is usable. But it still is a hassle.

Back to the iPad with great relief. Blood pressure down. Extra $100, not feeling so bad about that...

It's always fun to read about people trying to compare current devices (N7) to something that is outdated 2 years ago (ipad mini). I am sure you haven't spend enough time with N7 or you just want to elevate your ego and patriotism towards the apple brand.

rprr

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
My only experience was with a rather laggy Vizio tablet running Android. It would freeze often and apps would crash. At that time I would look enviously at my wife's iPad. I then went back to using my iPhone. I am sure that things have improved with the nexus and jellybean but that experience with the Vizio soured me on android. Ultimately, I decided that I would wait for apple to produce the iPad mini instead of going for the nexus.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Don't be fooled by the people telling you the Nexus 7 is as good and save the money. The Apple experience is still SO much better than the Nexus. Feel good about your mini.

I have a Nexus 7 that I use to develop work applications - since we are too cheap to buy iPhones for our workers, so they get Androids (unless you're an executive, then you get an iPhone).

Have mini on order but I'm thinking why am I spending so much money on the mini when I can just use this $250 Nexus like my iPad? So I tried.

On paper it's got all the right specs. The major apps are all there. Why not?

Just like Apple used to say, the i<stuff> "just works". 70% of the Nexus is a struggle:

* Mail is fine. No issues there. Except that you get a gMail app and a mail app. Spent a while trying to add my imap mail to the google mail app before I realized there was an other app for email. Got that now.

* Web browser (chrome) is OK. But text is not much better than the mini (a little). Still need to expand it to read. What's really missing is the READER feature of Safari. Works brilliantly to give you nice readable web page on the mini.

* Tried to watch a movie off my DLNA server. First go off to the Play store. Download and install the highest rated app or two. Klunky interface but finds my server. Try to play. No video player embedded in the DLNA app. Huh? Need to use a separate add on video player. Download one. Works crappy. Plays one type but not the other. Download another one. Plays both but has all kind of weird screens before and after playing. Oh yeah, neither seems to remember where I stopped off if I stop a movie mid way. No 30 second forward or skip buttons. Download a few more video players. Ugh. Finally have one that sees to work.

Whoops, accidentally got into screen shot mode on this player. Takes a picture. Pops up again. Hit cancel, takes another picture. Stuck in loop. Reboot. Now have about 10 screenshots in some folder somewhere. Have to go download a file app to find the pictures and delete them.

Now I'm using the tablet in portrait. Every time I play a video it spins over to landscape mode. Have to turn tablet. Stop playing. Goes back to portrait, turn back. No way to stop it from turning sideways.

Figure, let's just use the ABC app and watch it there. Nothing in the play store from ABC networks. Lots of kid games and apps from local affiliates. Give up on that.

I could go on...

Now I know some of this is just finding the good apps. I also know that your common apps like Groupon, maps, Angry birds are going to be OK. But it's still the wild west out there on a Nexus.

****It's designed by engineers and that's exactly how it behaves.****

It's gotten better over the years. Android 4.x is usable. But it still is a hassle.

Back to the iPad with great relief. Blood pressure down. Extra $100, not feeling so bad about that...

No, I think you already pulled enough stuff out of where the sun don't shine. ;)

I highly doubt the OP has even touched a Nexus 7. If he / she has, then the post is still an obvious, deliberate trashing of Google & the Nexus 7.

I own a Nexus 7 as well as the iPad mini. Each has it's Pro's & Cons.

The most noticeable difference is the lower ppi of the mini. Why Apple failed to make it the same or close to as good as the N7 reflects their desire to cut costs in order to enjoy a higher profit.

Yet for a whopping $140 more than a Nexus, Apples proving they have no problem robbing us. While it's nothing new, the blatant way Apple does their profit taking is a bit disgusting. Just because we will pay it doesn't make it any better.

With the intro of this fresh new Nexus lineup consisting of the Nexus 4 phone, the Nexus 7 & 10 tablets, Google Android has, for the very first time, worthy direct competitors to Apple iDevices. Now things get interesting.

I agree that the iPad mini really had it's a$$ handed to it with the new Nexus 7. It's superior to the iPad mini in virtually every way and still cost less.

The only thing iFanBoys claim is the App Store which is becoming moot now. Both stores have nearly the same amount of apps last I checked. The whole better looking/working apps...I don't use iOS so I can't make a comment on it. All I know is if that is why you buy iDevices for, then you are paying a HUGE premium for that considering the iPad mini is a technically inferior product to the Nexus 7. No retina screen for the mini? I thought that was the thing to have nowadays and justified the higher prices? Well no retina display on the mini yet you still got a higher price. All you got left is the app quality argument. Once Google apps catch up, there's not going to be much more to justify the price with. iOS vs. Android is subjective, but no way iOS should have a premium.

Neither product is perfect. But only a fanboy will think it is.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Even the least ram consuming games will run less smooth on Android devices with better spec. Ipod touch 4 with 256mb ram can play games better than Nexus 7 or Samsung whatsoever.

But thats just for games. I think if you want ipad mini just for games (because it is easier to hold in one hand compared to the IPad) then its a better choice. But overall at 329 for poor screen 16G. Usefully department should be with Nexus 7.

DVK916

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
It's always fun to read about people trying to compare current devices (N7) to something that is outdated 2 years ago (ipad mini). I am sure you haven't spend enough time with N7 or you just want to elevate your ego and patriotism towards the apple brand.

The N7 is just as outdated, it processor is just as old, and even slower.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
With RIM Playbook I can have all my apps with additional $100-130 in my pocket over Nexus 7 as it runs Android apps :p But somehow I always notice those who denigrate iPad mini's high pricing themselves can't accept that Playbook might be a better option than Nexus 7 due to its lower price because they have to create a Nexus 7/Android "circle jerk".

My point is that everyone has a different threshold and needs when it comes to product vs. pricing. Someone will find $120-150 Playbook more than acceptable and can't understand why someone would buy a $210-$250 Nexus 7 when they are exactly the same form factor. Personally I find a 7" tablet too small for tablet apps and consider iPad mini's display as small as I'd accept for a tablet-specific apps.

I agree with you 100% and thus why I used the circle jerk metaphor as I could not understand why the OP had to crap all over one device to make his chosen device look better....hey, if you like the playbook, great, if you like the mini great. If you want to come here and praise the mini great, you should be proud of what you bought.

But to justify it by crapping all over another device...with mostly false statements (not the ipad positive ones, the Nexus negative ones) for the sole purpose to gather up people to join your party, yep that is a self serving circle jerk.

I think the mini is a great device with a lot of potenial; but I see no need to needlessly put down other devices for no other reason but to create some sort fo self value.

rprr

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
I agree with you 100% and thus why I used the circle jerk metaphor as I could not understand why the OP had to crap all over one device to make his chosen device look better....hey, if you like the playbook, great, if you like the mini great. If you want to come here and praise the mini great, you should be proud of what you bought.

But to justify it by crapping all over another device...with mostly false statements (not the ipad positive ones, the Nexus negative ones) for the sole purpose to gather up people to join your party, yep that is a self serving circle jerk.

I think the mini is a great device with a lot of potenial; but I see no need to needlessly put down other devices for no other reason but to create some sort fo self value.
Well said.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

This is an apple forum. What did you expect?

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
This is an apple forum. What did you expect?

Right, that is why I said, waxing poetic over an Apple device, great, I would never complain, I do it too. I just do not understand the need to create a thread that tells people false comparisons for no other reason.

Like I said, this thread knocking the other device with a bunch of false statements didn't add any value other than "pat me on the back" value.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Right, that is why I said, waxing poetic over an Apple device, great, I would never complain, I do it too. I just do not understand the need to create a thread that tells people false comparisons for no other reason.

Like I said, this thread knocking the other device with a bunch of false statements didn't add any value other than "pat me on the back" value.

I have a nexus 7 and i agree with most of what the op said. Ohh yeah and my reason for getting it was apple didnt have a 7" iPad and Im currently working on an app for it. Thats all. Yes like the op, i too am a developer. I thought I would come here and express how much I liked my iPad mini only to run into a bunch of losers who are trying to dictate to me what I should like.

Last edited:

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
Try introducing someone to iTunes and iOS who have never seen or used them before. iTunes is another mess. Either way it's a learning curve no matter what you get.

The knock on iOS has always been that it's too simple. Its extremely easy and intuitive. The version of android running on the nexus 7 (jellyfish? peanut butter sandwich? cake with sprinkles?) is a disaster.

For example, the library screen is ugly as sin. A giant random album cover, a tiny book cover, and 14 other things all crammed onto the same screen? Yikes. The thing looks like a total chore to use.

ItsWelshy

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
No, I think you already pulled enough stuff out of where the sun don't shine. ;)

I agree that the iPad mini really had it's a$$ handed to it with the new Nexus 7. It's superior to the iPad mini in virtually every way and still cost less.

The only thing iFanBoys claim is the App Store which is becoming moot now. Both stores have nearly the same amount of apps last I checked. The whole better looking/working apps...I don't use iOS so I can't make a comment on it. All I know is if that is why you buy iDevices for, then you are paying a HUGE premium for that considering the iPad mini is a technically inferior product to the Nexus 7. No retina screen for the mini? I thought that was the thing to have nowadays and justified the higher prices? Well no retina display on the mini yet you still got a higher price. All you got left is the app quality argument. Once Google apps catch up, there's not going to be much more to justify the price with. iOS vs. Android is subjective, but no way iOS should have a premium.

Neither product is perfect. But only a fanboy will think it is.

Looks like we have another "I can't afford an iPad" Android user.

How are the blown-up phone apps looking on your cheap Nexus? pixelated? Heh heh

children

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
i personally dislike android in any form.. so messy, organised and inconsistent user interface. Windows RT/Phone/8 is the only UI that can come close (Think Open Vs Closed)

Thats just me, some enjoy the freedom and flexibly of android. To each his own I guess.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007

What android devices from 2010 beat the iPad mini?

----------

i personally dislike android in any form.. so messy, organised and inconsistent user interface. Windows RT/Phone/8 is the only UI that can come close (Think Open Vs Closed)

Thats just me, some enjoy the freedom and flexibly of android. To each his own I guess.

Fragmentation.

Worst is when many android apps don't run on my android tablet.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
It sounds like you have no idea what you are doing, I was able to figure all those tasks out without an issue. It was very easy to find out the best video player, file manager and emails apps. You get out what you put in with Android, if you put the effort in the experience is far superior to that on ios due to the flexibility and customization.

For example my N7 can see my entire video library on my iMac using SMB sharing which i can navigate with a proper native file browser and stream right to my N7 over wifi. Doing this on an iPhone is much harder. Even the simple things like being able to plug my N7 into my mac and just copy files across without having to sync with itunes, i can even transfer my files over wifi all from the file manager on my N7. I didn't like the Chrome mobile browser so i downloaded Xscope (a really great web browser for android) and i was able to set it as my default browser. Try that on ios...

Last edited:

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
It sounds like you have no idea what you are doing, I was able to figure all those tasks out without and issue. It was very easy to find out the best video player, file manager and emails apps. You get out what you put in with Android, if you put the effort in the experience is far superior to that on ios.

Maybe some people don't want to put efforts to look for best video players, file managers, email apps and antivirus programs and just want to use the tablet?

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Maybe some people don't want to put efforts to look for best video players, file managers, email apps and antivirus programs and just want to use the tablet?

That is the whole point, with ios you get a great experience out of the box, But you are locked into what Apple decides you should use. If you like the stock Apple apps and setup then ios is for you. Android is a decent experience out of the box (especially with Jellybean) but if you configure it perfectly to YOUR tastes it blows ios clean out of the water as its fully customized to YOUR needs.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
That is the whole point, with ios you get a great experience out of the box, But you are locked into what Apple decides you should use. If you like the stock Apple apps and setup then ios is for you. Android is a decent experience out of the box (especially with Jellybean) but if you configure it perfectly to YOUR tastes it blows ios clean out of the water as its fully customized to YOUR needs.

I can spend days or weeks customizing android.

However, it still won't fit MY needs when apps I need existed on Android, but show up as "incompatible" and doesn't integrate with the Apple eco-system as well as iOS.

I am using both Amazon store and Google play store. Each fighting to overwrite my apps claiming they are the latest version.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I'm getting a Samsung Note 2 instead which beats the Nexus 7, Nexus 4, iPad mini and iPhone all at the same time. Don't laugh but phablets will start to take over. Why carry a iPhone and iPad at the same time when a Note 2 has a big display and fits in my pocket?

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I'm getting a Samsung Note 2 instead which beats the Nexus 7, Nexus 4, iPad mini and iPhone all at the same time. Don't laugh but phablets will start to take over. Why carry a iPhone and iPad at the same time when a Note 2 has a big display and fits in my pocket?

I'm interested in the note 2 too. Kinda pricey for an android device.

Less interested now that I have an iPad mini.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Looking at the N7 for children's gifts.

At 200 a pop its a great deal and I won't sweat it too much in the hands of seven and nine year old brats who can prove to be equally destructive as careful; just depends on the day of the week I suppose

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I'm really going to base my purchase (or non-purchase in this case) of an Android device on someone else's opinion on a website devoted to Apple products. Sounds like a great idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.