Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
London
I've seen enough 'discussion' threads about the Nexus 7 on here already that haven't been particularly positive, so I thought I'd offer a small mod that I'm sure other people have thought of before but I've just got round to doing now.

Due to the skinny edges of the Nexus 7, I had some slight difficulty holding it completely steady while reading in portrait mode and wanted to add a handle akin to those made for the iPad. However, none are commercially produced yet, so I thought what can make this simpler.

So I took an old suction holder from a satnav device and it works amazingly both as a grip (between your fingers) and as a stand, all without leaving any marks and it can be added and removed in seconds.

If you want to use this solution as well, beware that you'll need quite a strong suction cup due to the textured plastic back on a Nexus, and this solution will actually work much better on the slick aluminium of an iPad.

I've attached pics so you get the idea.

Attachments

• IMG_0777.jpg
    IMG_0777.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0778.jpg
    IMG_0778.jpg
    547.4 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0779.jpg
    IMG_0779.jpg
    732 KB · Views: 170

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I literally just placed an order for one minutes ago, does it feel too small? I used to have an iPad and that has been my only experience using a tablet.

This'll be my first Android device so im looking forward to tinkering. Android users, will all the stuff work for it? Or will I have to buy tablet stuff? I mean it has the same resolution as many Android phones now.

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
London
I literally just placed an order for one minutes ago, does it feel too small? I used to have an iPad and that has been my only experience using a tablet.

This'll be my first Android device so im looking forward to tinkering. Android users, will all the stuff work for it? Or will I have to buy tablet stuff? I mean it has the same resolution as many Android phones now.

No, for me it is literally the perfect size for my uses: mainly reading, web browsing and watching short videos (Youtube).

I wouldn't use it to watch longer video unless I really had to. In terms of apps, the selection is quite comparable to iOS although some still are lacking a proper tablet version (e.g. Twitter), however with time and due to the popularity of the Nexus 7, I'm sure they'll be on board pretty soon. I think most apps on Android will scale up to the resolution fine without needing to buy specific tablet versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.