Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Perihelion

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
My 1G iPad is getting pretty close to replacement time so I thought I'd check out the new Nexus 7. Here are my findings:

What I still like about my iPad:
- Intuitive to use.
- Cohesiveness of interface.
- Big iTunes library.
- Lots of app support.
- Tons of battery life.

What I don't like about my iPad:
- Very slow for today's apps and iOS.
- Heavy
- No retina display.
- Speaker quite quiet and mono.

What I liked about the Nexus 7:
- Thin
- Easy to hold in 1 hand, non-slip rubber backing.
- Sharp display resolution
- Stereo speakers
- Price

What I didn't like about the Nexus 7:
- My interface complaints from Android 1.5 are still present in 4.3. There are options scattered everywhere and none of the interface elements carry from one app to the next.
- Heavy (for its size, surprisingly so).
- Battery life - Drained on standby in 1 day.
- Missing software polish, feels half baked in the apps I used for podcast consumption, etc.
- Speakers soft while set to max volume.
- Not intuitive: Wife couldn't get used to it, still had to buy her a new iPad.

So that's my $0.02. Looks like I'm returning the Nexus 7 and waiting for the iPad 5.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
What I still like about my iPad:
- Intuitive to use.
- Cohesiveness of interface.
- Big iTunes library.
- Lots of app support.
- Tons of battery life.

I was able to transfer my whole iTunes library over to google play, and stream everything to my devices for free. This may not be what you're looking for, but it worked really well for me.

What I didn't like about the Nexus 7:
- My interface complaints from Android 1.5 are still present in 4.3. There are options scattered everywhere and none of the interface elements carry from one app to the next.
- Heavy (for its size, surprisingly so).
- Battery life - Drained on standby in 1 day.
- Missing software polish, feels half baked in the apps I used for podcast consumption, etc.
- Speakers soft while set to max volume.
- Not intuitive: Wife couldn't get used to it, still had to buy her a new iPad.

Strange, my N7 will drop a percent or two while in standby overnight. I wonder what was running in the background on yours.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Same interface complaints as v1.5? Ummmm.....ok

Battery is fine. An app must have been running in the background that shouldn't have been.

There is lots of app consistency if you're using an app that's been regularly updated since ICS. Many apps use the holo theme.

There aren't as many tablet specific apps but android is leaps and bounds over what it was just a year ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.