Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I think I read that Pixel XL's are back in stock in the Google Store.

yep, looks like silver and black are available. silver only 32 GB but looks like 128 GB is available for black. probably will sell out soon ;)

EDIT: says the black 128GB config ships in 6 - 7 weeks and 32GB ships in 2-3 weeks. 32GB silver ships in 6-7 weeks

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    305.6 KB · Views: 145
Reactions: MRU

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
One thing I'm curious about: Has Google ever said how long their Pixel phones will receive updates?
I believe the Nexus line were/are updated for 2 years after release.
That's not enough, though (IMO) for a phone which costs as much as an iPhone.
Anyone ever hear anything on that?

Reactions: 5105973

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
One thing I'm curious about: Has Google ever said how long their Pixel phones will receive updates?
I believe the Nexus line were/are updated for 2 years after release.
That's not enough, though (IMO) for a phone which costs as much as an iPhone.
Anyone ever hear anything on that?
I thought I read somewhere 2 years ...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well it doesn't say support ends. It just says guaranteed OS updates till October 2018. That doesn't mean there won't be any further updates after that, just that's the minimum guaranteed updates ... I would expect them to continue supporting the device for a year or two further.

Reactions: Roadstar

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Well it doesn't say support ends. It just says guaranteed OS updates till October 2018. That doesn't mean there won't be any further updates after that, just that's the minimum guaranteed updates ... I would expect them to continue supporting the device for a year or two further.

Good point. I'd guess they'll give at least security updates beyond the promised support, but still it would be nice to get a little better guaranteed support when paying flagship prices.

Reactions: epicrayban and MRU

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Sadly I wouldn't bet on that. Google already announced that the Nexus 6 and 9 won't be getting the 7.1.2 update, making the 7.1.1 version that came out in December their last, barely more than 2 years past their original release dates.

I release that's the Pixels are technically the first flagship 'Google phones' but when they say 2 years on their devices, historically they're generally spot on.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
Sadly I wouldn't bet on that. Google already announced that the Nexus 6 and 9 won't be getting the 7.1.2 update, making the 7.1.1 version that came out in December their last, barely more than 2 years past their original release dates.

I release that's the Pixels are technically the first flagship 'Google phones' but when they say 2 years on their devices, historically they're generally spot on.

They will still get security updates and Play Services will continue to be updated, so not like they'll completely be left behind. Comparing updates on Android to those on Apple aren't the same. Apple may "support" old phones, but they still miss out on features and slow way down.

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
The recent feb patch causes much problem with bluetooth..
I hope before pixel 2 comes they will resolve all bluetooth issues.. its been 3Months already...

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
They will still get security updates and Play Services will continue to be updated, so not like they'll completely be left behind. Comparing updates on Android to those on Apple aren't the same. Apple may "support" old phones, but they still miss out on features and slow way down.

Yeah, Google has said they'll support security updates for 3 years--I was replying specifically to OS updates.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
Yeah, Google has said they'll support security updates for 3 years--I was replying specifically to OS updates.

Oh yeah. I know you know how it works. We agree on far too much stuff. But that's always been a slam on Android. But the updates between the two platforms are not one in the same. Most people won't be keeping any phone longer than three years. Security updates are the most important. Especially because most Google apps are updated through the play store and not through OS updates like Apple.

Reactions: tbayrgs

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
The recent feb patch causes much problem with bluetooth..
I hope before pixel 2 comes they will resolve all bluetooth issues.. its been 3Months already...
I'm not getting any Bluetooth issues but so far on the February patch I've noticed that my battery seems to be draining faster and my phone has completely locked up twice which forced me to reboot the phone by holding the power button until it restarted. As sad as this may be, I've kept a log of all of the issues I've had with this phone.

Last edited:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Thought about buying a Pixel XL today. Looked at the backorder time: 5-6 weeks. I really wanted the Blue colored one too. 5-6 weeks in February 2017? Absolutely unacceptable on Google's front. People, like myself, will go with the S8.
Agreed. They really don't want customers to have at it with these devices. If Google is going to do hardware, they had best do it right.

Reactions: nviz22 and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Agreed. They really don't want customers to have at it with these devices. If Google is going to do hardware, they had best do it right.
Less not forget it's not even fully launched globally either. Just 5 countries ... And still can't seemingly keep abreast of stock. Given how much they have spent advertising it on UK TV alone, it doesn't make sense to be then so seemingly reluctant to have supply.

Reactions: nviz22 and jamezr

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
Less not forget it's not even fully launched globally either. Just 5 countries ... And still can't seemingly keep abreast of stock. Given how much they have spent advertising it on UK TV alone, it doesn't make sense to be then so seemingly reluctant to have supply.

Have to agree on the marketing comment.. I haven't seen any other Android device advertised recently as much as the Google Pixel (even more so than the juggernaut Samsung Galaxy series)! I have actually had people ask me if I have a Pixel when they have seen it! Thumbs up for the marketing to Google for the Pixel range in the UK anyway!

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Around Chicago here ( A pretty large city IMO ) I see billboards and ads all over the place for the Pixel. But I've walked into any number of big Verizon stores and none of them have the XL in stock, and just a few small Pixel's if that.

Go to BestBuy around here, and the Pixel XL is discontinued, and not for sale not available at all.

With all the ads you'd think this phone would eb everywhere and easy to purchase. But it's like the biggest tease, Google saying look at this cool phone we made, ha, but you can't get one, Bwaah !!!

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Yeah the UK is getting incredible Pixel ad saturation, good to see.

Part of me wonders if they are limiting supply to create demand, but it's doubtful since that's an insane strategy with so much competition.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
Around Chicago here ( A pretty large city IMO ) I see billboards and ads all over the place for the Pixel. But I've walked into any number of big Verizon stores and none of them have the XL in stock, and just a few small Pixel's if that.

Go to BestBuy around here, and the Pixel XL is discontinued, and not for sale not available at all.

With all the ads you'd think this phone would eb everywhere and easy to purchase. But it's like the biggest tease, Google saying look at this cool phone we made, ha, but you can't get one, Bwaah !!!

I can't watch TV without seeing a commercial for it. Google really screwed this up. They should be able to ship all of them immediately at this point. Even OnePlus got their shipping right this time around. You can get either gunmetal version shipped immediately right now.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I can't watch TV without seeing a commercial for it. Google really screwed this up. They should be able to ship all of them immediately at this point. Even OnePlus got their shipping right this time around. You can get either gunmetal version shipped immediately right now.
Yep and as much as we all blasted OnePlus for their horrendous invite system......we still got our phone faster than Google is shipping the Pixel XL.

Reactions: MRU and Tig Bitties
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.