Nexus phones to be replaced by high-end "Silver" models

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Peterg2, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

"The Android Silver project, which was rumored earlier this month, has today been corroborated by four fresh sources, all of whom point to a major shift in Google's mobile strategy. The Information reports that the current scheme of offering Nexus-branded handsets with Google's unadulterated vision of the best Android user experience will be scrapped, to be replaced by a set of high-end Silver phones that will closely adhere to it. "

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/29/5664702/google-nexus-to-be-replaced-by-android-silver

2. mclld macrumors 68000

So basically phones that are more in line with the ridiculous prices of non-nexus phones...just great

3. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

The only thing I see with a hint of truth in the report is this:
    Everything else looks like speculation and rumor, with little actual substance behind it. The only people that actually know where Google is headed aren't 'leaking' rumors to the Verge. Remember that rumor about Google naming Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie? Everybody bought into it. Turns out it was neither Android 5.0 or named Key Lime Pie. Not even the supposed 'insiders' at Google had a clue. I'll believe this when I see it. Just like I'll believe an iPhone Phablet when I see it.

4. Peterg2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nobody is leaking rumors to the Verge and neither is the Verge saying that. There are several other websites reporting this and the source appears to be theinformation.com which is a paysite. I gave the Verge as a source as I was unable to offer theinformation.com as a source without having access to the page.

5. ozaz macrumors 65816

Don't know about the specifics of this rumour, but I think it would make perfect sense to google to exit the tablet+smartphone hardware business at this point in time.

Now that Android's established a dominant, seemingly unassailable position in these markets I think Google would want to put as much focus as possible on ensuring Android will be the OS of choice for the next wave of products - I assume wearables, the connected home, and robots.

6. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

So that rules put Samsung phones then :D

I can't see Samsung cutting the bloat. Their Touchwiz skin is probably the heaviest there is, what gets counted as bloat? All the S-Apps? I count them as bloat because I don't use them.

I wish these Android would adopt a theming system similar to Cyanogenmod, where it themes the entire system, launchers can't hide 100% of the touchwiz, make it so I can turn the touchwiz theme off, and underneath its vanilla android, let me uninstall the S-Apps, make them downloadable from their Samsung app store, and make the Samsung app store a downloadable app from Google play. Bundle this crap if you must but let me turn it off and uninstall.

7. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Article seems to be suggesting that the Nexus line is going to vanish in favor of what's currently called the GPE devices. I'm not buying it. The Nexus 4/5/7 (maybe the 10) have been celebrated for their performance/price ratio, meanwhile no one's cared about the GPE.

Dumping the Nexus line would be the worst move for Google, frankly. There are already plenty of $600-700 Android phones, adding a vanilla android one to the lineup isn't going to win any converts, and the general thinking about the Nexus line is you get all the great features without paying a premium for branding, so unless the Silver phones are INSANELY high end they're just gonna flop.

8. tjl3 macrumors 6502a

But it certainly isn't making them any money. And in the Android-space, Samsung is dominating all the other companies. It makes sense for Google to even the playing field and continue their unrivaled growth.

I don't see where Samsung fits into all of this, unless they are the outliers. Why sacrifice their blood, sweat and tears (i.e. the amount of effort and development they've put into their own software and marketing) in order to take on new and controlled demands from Google. Some of us might not like the TW bloat, but it isn't really hurting them either?

And about the plenty of $600-$700 phones, that's where the profits are at. Companies can't continue to lose on their mobile division and still operate. In comes Google to the rescue.

9. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

You're missing why that model has worked for so long: subsidies. You're looking at $700 phones that people are buying for $100-200 on a contract, not the GPE devices that are barely selling at all, and those the prime example of what you're talking about. The S4 and HTC One (M7 and M8) have GPE flavors, but how many people bought them? Some hobbyists, but that's all. Stop 20 people on the street with a top-end Android and if you get one with a GPE I'd be shocked. The only reason Apple gets away with not having bloatware is they basically strong-armed telecoms into allowing it. Google doesn't have that kind of clout, especially not with the Samsungs and HTC's playing ball with the companies.

Google obviously can't offer a Silver edition on contracts, and Verizon certainly has a bad track record with allowing un-branded devices on their network, meaning the Silver editions will be non-CDMA and only buyable at off-contract prices, which means it COULD work for people who are going to use things like TMobile Jump and what have you.

Your whole argument is spurious anyway because the problem with the Nexus 5 wasn't that it was too inexpensive. That's a bizarre argument to make to begin with.

10. tjl3 macrumors 6502a

I read this on Launch Ticker, but what I had read was that Google will be shifting their efforts in marketing these Silver Edition phones to both carriers and consumers. So it won't just be buried in their Play Store. And as long as fiancing exists, consumers can still opt for high priced phones w/ low initial commitment. Therefore, that model will continue to exist...

I think price has a lot to do with this decision. I don't think they're making money on their Nexus brand, and that's why their pushing their development and marketing efforts in a different direction. The bottom line is $$$. What is Google missing in their dominance of the mobile market? The high end, where Apple still has a big piece of the pie. And if the bottom line is $$$, then that is where Google can see their biggest growth.

Also, like I said before, they need these other companies to make money to continue to function. So it makes sense to work with them and not just cannibalize Android sales (I say this, b/c I agree w/ you that GPE penetration is very low, and I think the majority of GPE/Nexus users are former Android users).

11. RMXO macrumors 6502a

12. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

Hey I went from iOS to GPE! But yes what you say is true. I hope Google is successful in getting more stock android OEM handsets out there because I really think people will like them.

Never met anyone else with a GPE in the wild :(

Nexus 5 in best buy seems to have helped appearances of n5 though.

13. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

If the post-contract idea takes off, Nexus devices would FLY off the shelves. You put an N5 against an S5 and tell people that one is $350 and other is $650, I'd be shocked if you sold more than a handful of Samsungs.

14. gotluck, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014

gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

You'd still have some suckers like me that would pay for the GPE S5 over it though, question is.. How many of me are there? :)

Heck I bought the GS4 GPE in August, knowing the Nexus 5 was coming later 2013