NFC observation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Linuxpro, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Linuxpro macrumors regular

I have written NFC software on bank card terminals, so I have a good understanding of how it works.

I put my Bank of America card in my iPhone 6+. I live in Singapore. So far Apple Pay is not approved here. I have it ready to use when I visit the USA next week.

I used a local card to pay for use of the train. I put the card in my iPhone 6+ case. When I went to the train station, my iPhone 6+ saw the NFC field, and asked for my finger print. Previously I thought I had to open up the app. I had no idea it was fully automatic. :cool:

Needless to say it did not work, so I had to use my local bankcard.

Next week I get to try it in a store. :D

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

The automatic thing is really clever... and convenient....

Except there have been blurbs from people who have had issues travelling at Passport NFC readers when trying to scan barcode from their iPhone and ApplePay taking over the screen.

My only international travel since getting iPhone 6, didn't support mobile boarding pass... But my domestic flights have not had the above issue.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yeah just rest your thumb on the TouchID button and it'll wake automatically and charge to the default card upon detecting the NFC.

However, for it to work it needs to be a supported U.S.- based card at the present time so I don't think your foreign card will work when you visit here.

----------

Yes, that's a drawback to the NFC loop being always on. A workaround is to open the boarding pass from the airline app rather than send it to Passbook.

4. Linuxpro thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I did not get this part...

My BofA card was issued in the USA. I am from California. I work and reside in Singapore. I sold my house, car, and emigrated :)

I can use my Singapore cards in the USA, but not with Apple Pay. :eek:

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Then you're good to go with the BofA card.

6. Linuxpro thread starter macrumors regular

I will try it on my next trip. I am sure my wife will ask me to shop for something! :p