NFC on iPhone checkout systems at Apple store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Viantay, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Viantay macrumors newbie

I've been using the Tap to Pay feature on my Galaxy S5 lately so I've been on the lookout for the Tap to Pay logo to know where I can use it. I noticed a couple of days ago when I was checking out at the Apple Store that there was a Tap to Pay logo on the back of the card swiper case. Has that always been there? Were these made custom for Apple? If so, why have the NFC tap to pay logo when it's not even a feature on the iPhone? On don't imagine they are going to roll it out to accommodate me with my GS5. This was just an observation I made. Does this mean NFC is coming? I know there have always been rumors.

2. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

3. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

It doesn't mean anything. They wouldn't bring that just for a phone that will come in the future.

Cards, and other phones other than the iPhone have NFC.

Doesn't mean anything.

4. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I'm personally pretty surprised Apple has taken this long to get into the "phone-pay" racket. Knowing Apple, they'd make billions.. couple pennies at a time.

Really hoping for the start of a solution on the iPhone 6... but NOT holding my breath.

5. GoingDark macrumors 6502

Here in Canada every Visa/Mastercard has an NFC/tap-to-pay chip built-in. Many Android phones do, too. I have an HTC One and I love being able to tap my phone on a credit card terminal and have it pay with a VISA that I've preloaded in there.

I think it would be a great addition to the iPhone, but I've seen how it can be a bit of a janky implementation with Android - here you need a specific Android phone and a specific NFC SIM card - so I wouldn't hold my breath on Apple offering it any time soon, at least not until the standard is easier to work with.

6. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Just like the rest of the world ....

7. cynics macrumors G4

As a business they want to accept as many forms of payment as possible.

It's not a sign anything is coming they just want to be able to collect your funds as easily as possible.

I never noticed that at an Apple store though. Usually I'm looking at a product and a sales person has another employee bring it too me and the transaction is done on there. I much prefer that method of them doing all the leg work. :)