NFC on Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cooee!, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Cooee! macrumors member

Cooee!

I think Vaio laptops had NFC located on the trackpad. I think you bump your phone to connect to the laptop via NFC then you can transfer files between them.

Apple already have Airdrop though. But wouldn't it be better if you just place your iPhone on your trackpad so that it automatically connects to your Mac syncs your photos and videos and songs in iTunes. Although I'm not sure how this works. (Can you use WiFi AC speeds?) Bluetooth would be very slow, you'd rather have it by USB.

Other use of NFC might be connecting your phone wirelessly in the car. It can also be critical in home automation. Although the NFC on Mac acts like a receiver not the one you like with Apple Pay.

They just made the Apple Ecosystem better with Yosemite and iOS 8. This may take it even further.

2. leman macrumors G3

If I understand correctly, this is kind of how iOS8 and Yosemite actually work together. Low-energy Bluetooth is used to detect devices in proximity, after which a P2P WiFi connection can be established. This is much more powerful than NFC for these kinds of applications (not to mention that NFC is dead slow, much slower than Bluetooth).

You can read more here: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/0...-tech-tying-ios-8-and-os-x-yosemite-together/