NFC open to devs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spoa94, Sep 14, 2014.

1. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

Sorry if this has been discussed already but does anyone know if Apple will open NFC to developers? Or will it simply be used for Apple Pay for now?

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Since apple didn't allow devs to use Touch ID at all the first year, I'm gonna have to say no on NFC for a year.

3. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Yep, I'm guessing they'll open that gate next year.

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Not that none exist, but what purposes could NFC be opened to, other than secure payments? I feel like iBeacon would address these with BT LE. I'm also not incredibly creative though ...

5. spoa94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spoa94

Well this is the first thing that came to my mind http://nfcring.com
    I am a developer and I know there are many creative developers out there who could do great things with NFC on iPhone

6. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

I have a camera (panasonic GH4) that can use ios and android devices as a remote monitor and controller, for android it has the option to pair easily with NFC and instantly open the app and configure wifi when tapped to the camera, currently with ios devices you have to go into the settings, manually connect to the camera's wifi signal and then open the app. Not a huge difference but it makes things quicker and it would be nice if developers could use it for things like that.

7. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Cool :cool: Thanks

8. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

9. campingsk8er macrumors 6502

So I'm wondering.. Have you been to a mall in the past year or so and on the billboards they give you two options: Either scan the QR Code or tap your [I'm presuming NFC enabled] phone to get the add or map or whatever is on the board? Do you think that with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus that we will be able to just tap our phone to the board?