Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 6, 2004
1st
Apologize if its been covered (please link to a thread)

2nd
Not trolling, just want to know if its usage is real and widespread. I have never seen it advertised at retail or know anyone who has actually used it.

3rd
I've seen that Samsung GS III commercial many times but I don't understand. When those guys share a playlist, are they sharing a list of songs, or some type of playlist file. Or are they actually exchanging music files, which many consumers assume, but would be illegal. Is it like the Zune squirt, where you can share a music file with a friend and they can listen to it 3 times?

Anyway I'd appreciate any factual answers.

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
I used it once when Google was giving out free McDonald's $10 Google Wallet credits. That's it.

NFC won't get widespread adoption until the iPhone supports it. Other than McDonald's I haven't seen too many of those NFC machines around.

So I don't know if Apple will support it anytime soon. Passbook/barcode seems to be the way they're heading, especially since the infrastructure is already there. A much more refined experience, I think.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
I use it to check the balance on my metro card. While not necessary, since the feature is already there I might as well use it.

Plus, its pretty fun scanning over a friend's wallet and picking up one of their credit cards with an RFID chip, and having them freak out about the security on their cards :p

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
Unsafe? It's safer than actual cards.

I used it all the time on my old Nexus. Macy's, gas stations, Wendy's, vending machines, Walgreens , etc.

I still have a tag on my desk at work. It puts my phone on silent, and turns on wifi. Swipe it a second time and it turns sounds back on, disables wifi, and put my phone in car mode.

On the GS3 commercials they are just sending playlist files. When they are sharing videos they are actually transferring the video with wifi direct, the NFC just links the devices. NFC is only capable of sending bytes of information.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 6, 2004

"Here is what I would use it it for if I actually had it"

Wow, maybe I wasn't clear but you don't have NFC and that entire cnet list is all about having your own NFC receptor chips and in no way applies to real world consumer usage.

I wanted to know real world consumer usage, not someone day hypothetical.

I'm curious if it is actually being used in stores or by the public

Last edited by a moderator:

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
"Here is what I would use it it for if I actually had it"

Wow, maybe I wasn't clear but you don't have NFC and that entire cnet list is all about having your own NFC receptor chips and in no way applies to real world consumer usage.

I wanted to know real world consumer usage, not someone day hypothetical.

I'm curious if it is actually being used in stores or by the public

You can buy those tags in any phone store. How is that not real world consumer usage? That is also why I said you're asking in the wrong forum. This is an iphone forum, where no one has NFC. Move your thread to the alternative to iOS forum and you'll get a greater more specific answer.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I've used it to share websites with my co-worker without e-mailing or telling them a URL. I've also used it for a vending machine or two. Works pretty flawlessly.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
What's NFC?

Near field communication is a chip built in the galaxy nexus and s3 that allows fast communications such payments, file transfer while holding two phones together. Think of it like Bluetooth but better

----------

1st
Apologize if its been covered (please link to a thread)

2nd
Not trolling, just want to know if its usage is real and widespread. I have never seen it advertised at retail or know anyone who has actually used it.

3rd
I've seen that Samsung GS III commercial many times but I don't understand. When those guys share a playlist, are they sharing a list of songs, or some type of playlist file. Or are they actually exchanging music files, which many consumers assume, but would be illegal. Is it like the Zune squirt, where you can share a music file with a friend and they can listen to it 3 times?

Anyway I'd appreciate any factual answers.

I use my gs3 at gas stations, cvs and rite aid. Pretty handy and fast

----------

Seriously. This.

I use it in my car, home, place of work to instantly change settings on my phone to suit that particular environment.

NFC tags right?

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
This forum is too American centric and don't think about the other parts of the world where NFC is prolific. America is just way behind the times in this regard with respect to nations like Japan.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Near field communication is a chip built in the galaxy nexus and s3 that allows fast communications such payments, file transfer while holding two phones together. Think of it like Bluetooth but better

People in Hong Kong have been using NFC in the form of "Octopus cards" (more than 10M in circulation if my memory is correct) since 1998 for subway and bus fares, payments, entering car parks, unlocking doors, and many of the cards are linked to a credit card account so that the Octopus cards can be used for quick credit payments without swiping the card and signing receipts. So it's nothing new and I don't see a high demand for incorporating the Octopus card into the phone. Japan incorporated NFC into their mobile phones long time ago and it doesn't seem to be holding people back from buying iPhones and Android phones without NFC.

Last edited:

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Hardly any places use NFC for anything here, let alone passbook. None of it.

So it's a waste of time currently in the UK.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Haven't seen anywhere that I could use it if I had it. But then again I haven't exactly been looking for places to use it.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
In my country, I have NEVER seen anyone use it. And there are tons of people using Android like the Galaxy S3.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
To me it looks pretty awkward to use. It will almost never see widespread usage until Apple adopts it when the technology develops a little more. Even then it will be like "Siri". Casually mentioned, rarely used.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
When I had the Galaxy S3, I used it ALL the time... once Google enabled using your own debit cards with Google Wallet. Very convenient. Wish iPhone 5 had it.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
I use it four times every day...on my public transit card here in Sweden. You can pay, refill, check your balance, conduct transfers, etc. just be holding up your card to the reader in every bus, street car, and commuter train.

NFC is not just a chip in a phone. It has many real world applications, and is found all over the place in the world.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Seriously. This.

I use it in my car, home, place of work to instantly change settings on my phone to suit that particular environment.

Same here, so did I, the tags are very cheap from Amazon, if people think that they are just for payment they are missing other uses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.