NFC to Enable 'Home on iPhone' Remote Computing?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 17, 2011.

1. MacRumors, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2011

MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cult of Mac claims to have some details of how Apple will take advantage of NFC (Near Field Communications) technology in their future mobile devices. Unfortunately, their source can't specify when Apple will introduce the technology, but their source confirms that Apple is working with several iPhone prototypes with NFC built in. But beyond the expected financial payment system, Cult of Mac's source indicates that the NFC may also be used as a portable login system:
    Users will reportedly be able to launch apps which will be downloaded on demand. Documents can then be saved and synced back to MobileMe so you can access your documents where ever you are. Once the NFC connection is broken, the apps and files are deleted from the guest computer, leaving it untouched.

The system is somewhat reminiscent of the Home on iPod feature that was originally advertised for Mac OS X Panther, but pulled at the last minute. In that incarnation, your Home directory would be saved on your iPod and "When you find yourself near a Panther-equipped Mac, just plug in the iPod, log in, and you're "home," no matter where you happen to be."

Cult of Mac claims that these features will be rolled into Lion, though can't be certain it when it will be deployed, if ever.

Article Link: NFC to Enable 'Home on iPhone' Remote Computing?

2. thevofl macrumors regular

3. squinks808 macrumors newbie

squinks808

...weird

How about Call of Duty 4? Remote download, quick multiplayer sesh, then.. deleted. lol

4. singhjeet29 macrumors regular

Wow that sounds really cool! A feature I would likely never use in my life, but sounds really cool none the less and can easily see its uses for others.

Hopefully true, thereby giving more credence to MobileMe going free, which I would definitely use (and love).

5. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

6. retroneo, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011

retroneo macrumors 6502a

7. Thex1138 macrumors 6502a

Thex1138

8. mac-savant macrumors newbie

Wouldn't this require that an NFC receiver be built into every Mac you wanted to use?

Kind of useless until a couple years from now (if even that soon) since most people aren't going to have NFC enable Macs, unless this is something that can be added with a USB dongle.

9. TennisandMusic

This is also already being talked about in Windows 8, just not needing a phone or device to activate it, instead relying on Windows Live services through the "cloud."

I'm sure we will hear a lot more about these kinds of things over the next few years.

10. (L) macrumors 6502

Sounds... bad, actually.

Well, not to be a killjoy, but who would use this? And why? Where?

Kind of doubt it works as advertised, too.

11. GregA macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's already moving towards my wife and I sharing a single iMac, with our own setup and individual iPads for our own use.

If I could tap my ipad to my parents Mac and have my full Mac desktop available then my need for a laptop decreases. Similarly if I walked into an office and could borrow a Mac, complete with all my setup, it's very attractive.

12. jhall527 macrumors member

The only thing I can think of, being a college student myself, is the ability to just carry around my iPhone instead of my MBP everywhere around campus so I can sit down at any of the campus Macs and have it be my "Home" computer instead of the standard set-up on the campus computers.

Other than a college setting, I can't think of where people would use this feature on any sort of a regular basis. However, just because I might not need it doesn't mean it isn't a cool feature I would still like to have... :D

13. ChrisA macrumors G4

Sun's (now Ocacle's) SunRay workstations have a feature like that. Rumor has it that Sun engineers working on this system were not given their own desk. They were told to find any available SunRay workstation and just log in. And then there home desktop would appear along with all their files and so on. That is how it should be in an ideal world, just use any computer you see and all your stuff is always there. This means no need to carry your own notebook computer because you can just borrow any computer you see. It will be years before we get there. Our company tested a bunch of these computers. Most people liked them but some had specialized uses that did not work, mainly if yu had a LOT of data then you need the data to be local or if you had lab equipment connected but most people doing office work liked the setup where any computer was as good as any other. BTW this has been available for at least 10 years now

14. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

Holy GODS would you PLEASE!

To think they had it worked out in panther and didn't bother with it, ugh. I'd actually prefer it as described on the iPod, on the iPhone or iPad, via USB. Reliable, secure, fast, and without mucking up all the network traffic. So useful, but no, we'll have to have some cockamamie cloud thing that'll be useless unless you can get network permissions everywhere you go. Or better yet, nothing at all. Hooray.

15. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

This actually sounds like a great feature, assuming all their devices and services can work together. It’d make me upgrade, both MacBook and iPhone!

16. ChrisA macrumors G4

What this means is that any computer is as good as any other. You no longer care which computer you use and then you think "Why even own one?" This when it is fuly realized could revolutionize the why people use computers. Now computer is something you do with your computer but later it might be a service you access using any available screen and mouse

17. bassfingers macrumors 6502

bassfingers

if you don't own a mac, then you cannot have a "home" mac to sync to

18. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

This seems like Apple is playing with fire. I wonder how long it will be until your 'friend', whose computer you will using, has an app to store the files you DL, even after they are wiped.

19. shartypants macrumors 6502a

shartypants

Sounds cool, but not sure how much I would use it.

20. DeanSolecki macrumors member

I sort of see your point, but it isn't as if that is any more convenient than a bit torrent, or since you're getting it from a friend, a DVD-R/ad hoc/flash drive/install disk... It would seem like you've got other, easier options.

21. Nuvi, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011

Nuvi macrumors 65816

I guess this interesting to some but since the computers I use are constantly in my use I would probably never use the feature. If Mac would be the main stay of internet kiosks etc. one could see some use for it but since they tend to be Windows or Linux its no go. Even if this could be used with public computers I wouldn't feel comfortable synching all my MobileMe data with them. Unfortunately, I feel that in order for this feature to have real impact Mac's should be rivaling Windows in popularity. Even more so the host needs be a) running OS X 10.7 and b) the Mac has to have NFC chip = good possibility that a potential host is not compatible. Is this really a feature that is being implemented or is this some Apple Labs alpha project? :confused:

EDIT: Why do you need NFC chip for this? IMHO feels kind of pointless to me. Why not just use BT or USB?

22. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Awesome feature!

For people like me who walk around work a lot, and lock/open their laptop all the time, this is a neat feature.

23. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

The "Home on iPod" deal sounds cool. I could really see myself using that. No need for an 11" MBA! But I don't know if I like everything network related.

I hate cords, but sometimes they are just easier.

24. GregA macrumors 65816

I'm hoping what we'll see is centralised control (via AppleID), but actual data retrieval may come from iPod, iPhone, local network, backtomymac, or MobileME.