NFC wifi/internet required to read smart poster?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jstgosu, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Jstgosu macrumors newbie

Hey ! I am currently writing my bachelor thesis on NFC technology and I have not been able to find an answer to my question online, so I thought i would try find some answers here :)

I've read that when going abroad you can tap your smartphone on any information tags i.e at a museum and more details and information will pop up without the use of any wifi/4G. But how exactly does it work? will my safari app still open with details or what is going to happen?

It would also be very appreciated if it was possible to attach some reference, since I will most likely be needing it for my thesis.

Thanks a lot in advance for anyone taking their time to reply :)

/John

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

I don't believe that NFC for the iPhone/iOS works for anything else aside from Apple Pay.

3. ielessar macrumors regular

Some places have NFC tags or QR codes. NFC as the poster above me mentioned, I think it only works for Apple Pay now. As for QR codes, you can find scanners at the App Store.

4. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

It doesn't work on iPhone's as NFC is restricted to just Apple Pay, you can't use NFC the same that Android users can where you can have it trigger phone actions, pair bluetooth devices, check in to places, transfer data between phones, or anything else that NFC is great with.