NFC will win (with or without Apple Pay).

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by philipk, Oct 21, 2014.

1. philipk macrumors 6502

The recent news that Apple Pay works in Canada, Australia, Denmark, and other countries is exciting news.

It proves that NFC payments will be the future. The structures are in place in most of the world to allow this to function.

The question isn't will NFC payments work. The question is who's system will dominate. However, Apple Pay proves that more than one system can work in the marketplace.

It can be a credit card with built-in NFC. It can be any smart phone with built-in NFC.

So for all your Apple haters hoping that Apple pay will fail, grow up. You are really hoping that Google Wallet and every other similar service will also fail. The opposite is also true, if haters want Google Wallet to fail then you are also wishing that Apple Pay fails.

Bottom line to me is it doesn't matter whether Apple Pay succeeds or not as NFC transactions is the future. There is room for several providers just as there is room for Europay, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express.

I am betting on Apple Pay and prefer it to Google Wallet. However, if I am wrong my soon to purchase iPhone 6 will still work with other NFC systems.

2. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

I don't think there are too many people that are hoping that Apple Pay fails, even if they don't use Apple products.

On the flip side, I do think that it is pretty hilarious how many people have spent the years since Android got NFC payments until now spouting about how terrible a technology it was, how it would never be rolled out, how apple would be stupid to get involved, etc. I can't see too many threads about that now.

3. philipk thread starter macrumors 6502

It may be in the minority of owners. However, among posters there are many Apple haters who want Apple Pay to fail and the are many Apple fanboys who want Google Wallet to fail.

We need to cheer together to push for NFC adoption in the US as it already exists throughout the world.