NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yojitani, Apr 26, 2009.

1. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Well, draft weekend is over. I personally find it one of the most boring 'events' in the NFL (second only to the super bowl halftime show), but I am interested in the results.

How did your team do in the draft? Are you happy with the picks?

I'm a Titans fan. Here are the Titans' picks:
    1 Britt, Kenny WR
    2 Marks, Sen'Derrick DT
    3 Cook, Jared TE
    3 Mouton, Ryan CB
    4 McRath, Gerald LB
    4 Kropog, Troy OT
    5 Ringer, Javon RB
    (Compensatory selection)
    6 McCourty, Jason CB
    6 Edison, Dominique WR
    7 Durand, Ryan OG
    7 Schommer, Nick FS

I'm glad the Titans finally addressed the air game this year. Years of horrible receivers have made the offense look incredibly anemic (may have even shortened Vince Young's career). I'm happiest about Jared Cook though. He seems like a player who will do something this year.

Any Raiders fans out there? :D

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The Raiders were rated an "F" on ESPN

The Falcons got a B+
    Their best move was probably before the draft getting Tony Gonzalez
    But they did address their defense in the draft

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Asa Jets fan, I'm happy. We finally drafted our franchise quarterback.

Richard Todd
    Ken O'Brien
    Browning Nagle
    Chad Pennington
    Mark Sanchez

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah hopefully the Falcons will have another good year coming up.

i wouldn't say that just yet. might want to wait and see how he looks in a game first

5. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You think? :rolleyes:

7. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

The Bengals managed to pick up some decent picks with questionable pasts...They should fit in well.

Maybe this year, when Tank Johnson, Chris Henry and Andre Smith all get arrested, they can just hold the court trials at the stadium

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I really don't understand Jets fans' animosity towards Pennington. Sure, he was injured a lot, but the Jets didn't exactly surround him with the necessary tools to be a great QB and even then he took them to the playoffs in 2002, 2004, and 2006. Then they bring in Brett Favre (aka the Walking Interception) as if a gunslinger quarterback in the Jets' system was going to make a difference, only to be beaten by Pennington's Dolphins to win the division title.

9. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

does it really? they got what.. 3 players total (and lost 3 players to the browns by trading up for a player who started 1 year in college)? i wouldn't exactly call that "building through the draft"

----------

anyway - my Dolphins addressed some serious needs and made some excellent picks getting incredible value.

too bad we don't play last game of the year in the meadowlands against the new jersey jets so we can have Chad end their season, have their coach fired, and qb retire........ again :D

10. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Parcells. What a difference maker. The Fish did have a good draft. I think Pat White was a nice addition to especially for the Goldie Hawn "Wildcat!"

I'm a Skin's fan, so I really liked Orapko, DE from Texas, falling to us. We haven't had a legitimate rusher since Dexter Manley and Charles Mann last millenium. Orapko and the recent addition of Haynesworth should really shore up our D next year. Shame we didn't get an O Linemen though. Campbell needs protection more than anything else...

11. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Nobody disliked him, he was just too fragile and can't throw a long ball to save his life. He is also only effective in a certain style of offense which is what the fish provided him. I don't know if he has what it takes to go the distance unfortunately.

Then again, I'm more of a Giants fan although I like both. You almost have to feel sorry for the Jets... Still playing replays from that 69 game :p

NFL Team: NY Giants 2009 Picks

RD PK(OVR) NAME POS SCHOOL
    1 29(29) Hakeem Nicks WR North Carolina
    2 13(45) Clint Sintim OLB Virginia
    2 28(60) William Beatty OT Connecticut
    3 21(85) Ramses Barden WR Cal Poly
    3 36(100) Travis Beckum TE Wisconsin
    4 29(129) Andre Brown RB North Carolina State
    5 15(151) Rhett Bomar QB Sam Houston State
    6 27(200) DeAndre Wright CB New Mexico
    7 29(238) Stoney Woodson CB South Carolina

12. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Great name anyway! To bad he went to the Giants... :D

13. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

Good move getting Shonn Greene at the top of the 3rd. He'll pan out. I'm not totally sold on Sanchez though. Personally, I think the best offseason move for the Jets was getting rid of Mangini... as for the Browns.:D

14. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Detroit "Sad Sack" Lions

#1. Matthew Stafford, QB (Georgia)
    #20. Brandon Pettigrew, TE (Okla. State)
    #33. Louis Delmas, S (Western Michigan)
    #76. Deandre Levy, LB (Wisconsin)
    #82. Derrick Williams, WR (Penn State)
    #115. Sammie Lee Hill, DT (Stillman)
    #192. Aaron Brown, RB (Texas Christian)
    #228. Lydon Murtha, OT (Nebraska)
    #235. Zach Follett, LB (Cal)
    #255. Dan Gronkowski, TE (Maryland)

My thoughts... I hate this draft. I'm okay with Matthew Stafford, but the fact that they drafted Pettigrew at #20 means they plan to play Stafford THIS season. I would much prefer that they sit Stafford for this season and develop him for next year. Stupid Lions... they do this with every QB. They need to sit for an entire year (like Carson Palmer) while getting the pieces in place around him to put him in the best possible position to succeed. We can't afford for Stafford to bust. GRADE: B

I don't mind Pettigrew, because the Lions needed help at TE... BUT, they needed help at other areas of much more critical importance. Like, MLB... or DT. Even CB. Ugh. GRADE: C (only because who we could have gotten instead)

I'm okay with Delmas, lots of people had him rated in the first round and with Gerald Alexander questionable, safety was a significant need. BUT... MLB was a much bigger need... They could have had Laurinaitis or Maualuga. Either of them could have been plugged right in and started from the season opener. GRADE: B+

Deandre Levy? Hate this pick too. They could have had Jarron Gilbert (great project for DT). GRADE: D

Derrick Williams, I'm okay with this pick. We need to develop a solid #2/#3 WR to complement Calvin Johnson, and he has return skills too. GRADE: B-

Sammie Lee Hill, I'm okay with this pick too... but I would rather have gotten Gilbert earlier and then selected someone like Duke Robinson to man the LG spot next to Backus... because Backus REALLY needs the help. GRADE: B

Aaron Brown was a head-scratcher... we have decent talent and depth at running back (Kevin Smith, Maurice Morris) so he's not likely to see time there. And we just picked up Derrick Williams to help the return game. This was a ginormous waste of a pick. They should have gotten some CB depth since they didn't before. WORST pick by far in the draft for the Lions. GRADE: F----------

Murtha? He's not going to make the team. Another wasted pick. He's very athletic, but doesn't have the pass-blocking skills to contribute. Maybe they'll be able to stuff him on the practice squad, but he needs to develop his skills for 2-3 years before he'll see the field. GRADE: F+

Follett. LOVE this pick at this point in the draft. He'll provide depth for both Sims and Peterson at the OLB positions. Could even possibly be groomed to fill the void at MLB. In the meantime, he'll be an absolute beast on special teams... huge hitter. LOVE this pick. Can't say that enough. GrADE: A+

Gronkowski. Another head-scratcher. You picked Pettigrew earlier... why another TE? Take a flyer on a CB (you didn't earlier) or pick up another LB/special-teamer. GRADE: F+

Overall grade? D-

The Lions had SO MANY needs that they didn't address... I can understand the best player available strategy... I mean, the Lions have holes just about everywhere. But some positions are of more game-changing importance than others... and they completely ignored some of those. Best player available makes sense, but you need to keep an eye on your actual needs too. I'm predicting 3-13 and the #1 pick again next year. Maybe the #3 pick if I'm being generous. UGH!

Yeah, of all them teams Andre could have gone too... the Bungles are the worst. He already has people questioning his work ethic and common sense (how the hell do you think it's okay to leave the combine early)... putting him in that environment is just asking for trouble. Great player... but yeesh.

15. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Ryan Leaf says hi.

16. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Redskins got Brian Orakpo!!!!!
    *Satisfied*. We also got another quarterback which puts us at 4 for the camp.

17. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

That's funny.

And of course the Raiders, yet again, tanked in the draft. What a horribly run organization. Right up there with the Clippers.

18. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Now this is a thread that should be resurrected in three years.

19. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Mmm... not a Jets fan, but I think Sanchez will do well in NY. Unlike Stafford and the Lions, the Jets actually have some pieces in place to allow a guy like Sanchez to step right in and do something like Matt Ryan did last year. I'm hoping that Stafford doesn't see a game this year.

20. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Maybe one of them will go out for a position we need, like an O linemen. Can Colt Brennan block?

21. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

I've heard a lot of 'skins fans were not happy about the huge agreement with, as many Titans fans have dubbed him, Albert Haynesnot$100millionworth. Still, money aside, you guys should have a mean defensive trench.

22. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why is Jason Campbell so surprised that the Redskins were trying to get Sanchez? He's barely an NFL-level starter.

23. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I think our D was ranked 4th last year. These additions should really solidify it. Now hopefully the d backs won't have to cover guys for an eternity while opposing QB's sit in the pocket...

IMHO, it's not Campbell who's the problem. He gets ZERO protection, awful play calling, and he hasn't had the same coach for two years in a row since high school. Give the guy an off season to improve and not re-learn playbooks and throwing style, and buy him a little time in the pocket and he's gonna be a different QB this year.

24. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

As a Giants fan I LOVED this draft. Didn't have the sex appeal of some others, but we absolutely attacked need areas and depth and got fantastic value and prospects at every selection. I am ready for training camp to come. In Jerry We Trust!

25. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Fair enough. But he was doing well in the beginning of the season before defenses figured out that all they had to do was load up against Portis, because Campbell couldn't beat them.