NFL on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bluespider, Aug 8, 2010.

1. bluespider macrumors 6502

bluespider

Ok, now if there was a way to watch or even listen to the games ... I'd jailbreak for that!!!

2. ski2moro macrumors 6502

No need to jailbreak for this.

I watched NFL Sunday Ticket on my iPhone 3G all last year after I dropped Time Warner and got DirecTV satellite service. I downloaded the App and watched every game (except in-market televised games) on my iPhone, as long as I had a 3G or WiFi signal.

3. sheaitisnotso macrumors regular

Yup, thank god for my parents having NFL Ticket. They watch the games at their home while I use their username and password and watch on my iPhone. And this year I'll be watching on my iPad! :D

4. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I mooch off my pops too. I was very impressed with the quality over 3g last year. Can't wait till the season starts. They always play the Cowboys here in North Louisiana even when the Saints were kicking @$$ they wouldn't show them so Super Fan was my only option. Love the iphone App.

5. ITS ME DAVID macrumors 6502

I can't afford the sunday ticket can anyone possibly pm me there username and password so I can watch using iPhone app please.

6. Ironworker808 macrumors regular

Sunday Ticket On-The-Go.

* Watch live streams of every game on your smartphone, including iPhone, Android devices, select Blackberry® smartphone devices and more‡
    * See every game live online on your computer‡‡
    * Plus the Red Zone channel, highlights and real-time scores and stats — all on your smartphone, cell phone or computer

$9.99 a month for five months.

That's the best I can do for ya Dave. Good luck.

7. ski2moro macrumors 6502

8. JustinSaneV2 macrumors 6502

JustinSaneV2

9. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Some like me will say great! Others will be cheap and say bad deal! Life is great, to each their own!

10. Superproducer macrumors newbie

if you are ok with listening, you can download the wunder radio app $6.99 i think and look up the radio station that carries your nfl team in their home market. Example, i search for WIBC on wunder to listen to the Colts on game day

11. XCoNEPSILON macrumors member

XCoNEPSILON

If you don't have the Justin.tv app, you should get it. I watched the Cowboys vs. Bengals game on it last night.

12. mosx macrumors 65816

I love Sunday Ticket.

The problem is the cost. If you're a current DirecTV subscriber you have to pay the cost of Sunday Ticket plus Sunday Ticket To Go on top of your monthly fee. So during football season you can be paying well over $100 a month easily.

The only way to get the reduced and reasonable price is to actually cancel your service for a couple of months before football season starts. Then you can get the 5 months at $59.99. But then you still have to pay whatever extra fees there are. Like the Sunday Ticket To Go fee, extra boxes, etc.

Whats worse is the fact that DirecTV now only has 2 year agreements. No more one year. Trying to pay for the equipment outright is as easy as trying to lift a sidewalk with your bare hands.

Basically, if you're a current DirecTV subscriber under contract then you're stuck with that horrible pricing. If you're a DirecTV subscriber and not under contract then you can actually cancel and that will finally make them give you the deal you deserve.

But if you're a NEW subscriber, you really need to think about things first. Unless you buy the equipment outright (and good luck getting them to let you do that), you're locked into a 2 year agreement. With a nearly $500 early termination fee depending on the equipment you get. Whats even worse is that, as soon as that 5 months at $59.99 is up, you're immediately stuck with their full pricing. And if you don't call at just the right time, you're locked into their $130 a month plan for a full month. After that you're stuck with their other through the roof pricing plans for the term of the contract. Next year you'll be paying $49.99 a month (or more, depending on how they raise their prices) on top of your already expensive plan.

My DirecTV price has almost doubled since 2005 also. In 2005 I was paying $45 a month for the "Total Choice Plus" package (which no longer exists). When I canceled in July they wanted me to pay over $80 a month for the same package. My contract free FiOS for 20/10 internet and 50 more channels than that DirecTV package costs less.

I'd love to have Sunday Ticket again. I'm going to miss it. But at the same time it just costs too much. And it's 2010 anyway. These sort of exclusivity offers shouldn't exist. Sunday Ticket should be open to all TV carriers and the whole "Sunday Ticket To Go" thing should be something ANYONE can subscribe to at the NFL website.

13. JustinSaneV2 macrumors 6502

JustinSaneV2

Just seems kind of lame considering you've already spent the $60 or dollars to for the package but then you are charged again just to take advantage of the package on your cell phone.

I pay $10/month for Netflix and I don't have to pay extra to use the service on the iPad.

I pay $50/year for Xbox Live on my Xbox 360 and I don't have to pay to use the service on my PC as well.

I'm sure you can what I'm getting at here.

14. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Yeah--I was thinking that must be the case as there would be no point to have Sunday Ticket if you could stream to your TV.

15. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

Sometimes you have to search quite a bit, as NFL games are not supposed to be transmitted over the internet.

An iPhone NFL app with streaming audio and highlights would be great, but since Verizon now has the NFL mobile exclusive, this will never happen.

16. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Justin.tv

They will have every game every week streaming with this free app.

It may not be the most amazing quality but there are always more than 1 feed and most of the time 1 or 2 of them are pretty nice looking.

Watched my Cowboys play last night and that feed wasnt bad at all considering it on 3G

17. DoubleSh0t macrumors member

That works great until the stream gets shut down and you have to hunt for another one. Unless you know a password protected group for the particular team you watch its incredibly frustrating.

18. bluespider thread starter macrumors 6502

bluespider

Yeah, I found Justin.tv is good... even veetle... I have wunder and hadn't thought about using it though, I'll try that :)

19. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Oh dude, no, I know where you're coming from, believe me. I'm just saying basically purchases like this are up to the individual really. Yeah we get nickle and dimed, but it's still up to us to purchase or not. IMO for the mobility of watching games on the go, is worht an extra $10/month. Hell, the MLB@BAT app is great for me, just like this one is! Yeah I pay extra on both of them, but I can watch Pats or Red Sox games anywhere(same for the NBATV app too gol Celtics)

20. SmittS macrumors regular

You think paying $60 dollars for something that was previously included on top of a $300 package is a good deal? You're the type of sucker that falls for this crap and causes the prices to keep getting jacked up.

21. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

I use Pro Football Live app (there's a free and paid version).
    It's has up to the minute plays/scores on your favorite teams. Many other options as well.
    It keeps me well notified when I'm at work.

Check it out.

22. sheaitisnotso macrumors regular

Yeah, MLB is the same way. I'm an MLB.tv subscriber but yet I have to pay another $15 for the iPad app to watch it on my iPad. Oh and if I want to watch on my iPhone, that's another $15. Ridiculous!

23. Ironworker808 macrumors regular

Missed that part. Guess 'cause last year watching on your phone/computer was included with the superfan package. Watched a Buccaneers game one weekend, on my iPhone, when I was out of town. Real handy, that.

So they stopped charging an extra $10 a month to watch in HD and started charging $10 a month to watch mobile? :rolleyes:

I canceled, but I'm gonna call back about two weeks before the season starts and see if they offer me a deal. If they don't...well, I'm sure gonna miss the Red Zone Channel.

24. steeler560 macrumors newbie

Here's what you do, at least what I did....

Call DirecTV if you already have the NFL ticket because it should have autorenewed this month if you had it last year. Call them and act all confused as to the price increase this month. They will tell you it's the NFL Ticket installments of $49.99 PLUS the $9.99 if you want the app (good app but $9.99 PLUS the $49.99 for NFL Ticket PLUS $80-90 for the service!!! I'm not hurting for money like a lot of others today, but it's STILL insane!) Go on to tell them that you are unemployed and can't afford it and is there anything they can do for a loyal customer. They will hmm and haaa and boom,
    "I can reduce your bill by $10/mo. Will that do?" I told them still too much for me and begged them to do something to help a longtime customer. The guy told me that's all he could do, so I took it.

THEN, I called back later and got another person, I told them how the other guy gave me a $10 break/mo. But it still wasn't enough, I was afraid I am going to have to cancel NFL Ticket, in fact, I think I need to reassess what DirecTV package I have and possibly downgrade since I am unemployed. I begged her to help and she said she could take my bill down another $10 for 6 months PLUS she would give me Encore movie channels for FREE for 6 months. So I ended up saving $120 between the two calls plus I got Encore for free for 6 months, whatever that costs. Try it...

25. ski2moro macrumors 6502

I live 700 miles from my favorite team. As long as Time Warner won't carry NFL channel, I have a choice of paying for football or not watching football. I also have a choice of having it on my iPhone or not.

$350 for an entire season is a bargain in my opinion. Even if I lived near enough to attend games, I can't get two good tickets in my stadium for $350. Add $100 minimum for parking, food, and drinks. PER GAME! With the satellite, I'm paying less than $25 a week to watch as many games as I want.

We all have discretionary income. Some people smoke a pack a day at $10 a pack = $300 a month. Some people drop $100 in one meal. Some like expensive cars or clothing or need to buy all the latest xBox games. Whatever.

I like football. And I pay for baseball on the satellite, too. And I don't have to scheme or lie to afford it.