NFL: You Need to Make an iPhone app!!!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by danlovaj, Jan 16, 2011.

1. danlovaj macrumors regular

Now that iphone is on Verizon, and NFL is exclusive to Verizon for mobile content. They need to make an app like MLB's app! It's stupid they are exclusive to one mobile carrier. In this day and age, one is not going to switch to one carrier based on that! The MLB app is awesome and continues to improve every year. Why not make your content more available to more people rather then a select percentage? They must be raking in the money with Verizon and the fees to carry NFL Mobile on their network!

We want NFL app!
    We want NFL app!

2. Polekat macrumors regular

Polekat

They have one and it's not very good, according to the reviews
    Link

3. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

Yes.
    I bit the bullet and dl'ed it on release week.
    It's not good at all. I thought it would be similar to the MLB app
    for baseball. It's not even close.

I agree with the OP, we need a better app for NFL.

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

The NFL won't make a good app like MLB because they prefer to make deals with one carrier for their video and audio playback. They just switched from Sprint to Verizon this season. You'll get second-rate apps for any other platform.

5. sk4prez2020 macrumors member

sk4prez2020

This is no longer an issue starting....

2011. I think the exclusivity deals are no longer worth it in telecommunications, which is highly evident with the fact that Verizon, the worlds most outdated network and CDMA technology, is now getting the iPhone. :apple: jumping on the non-exclusive bangdwaggon is a tell tale sign that NFL will be next. They are losing too much money by signing exclusive deals. Point blank. Plus with the NFL players lockout potentially coming, they will need all the money/contracts they can get.

As always,

SK The Prez

6. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Now this will be quite interesting. All Verizon smartphone customers are able to download and use the official NFL Mobile app, but as we know, the iPhone will only install signed apps from the App Store unless it's jailbroken. So the NFL is going to have to release an official iPhone app, though I suppose they could just have the app check for the carrier in order for it to run.

7. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I hadn't thought of that, but that is a very good point.

8. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

And if the NFL releases an official app, I'm pretty sure that someone will find a way to bypass or trick the carrier check, thus allowing it to run on AT&T phones.