NFS / Time machine backup problems.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by petergent, Sep 21, 2009.

1. petergent macrumors newbie

Hey guys.

Some weeks ago I purchased a raidsonic 4220-b NAS device that seemed rather funky at first (open source - based on linux, 2 * 1.5tb drives) but I soon ran into a lot of problems (see my blog post - http://peter-gent.com/?p=57#more-57).

I've only just been able to connect to an NFS share on snow leopard, but the snag is I have to manually connect to the drive share, specifying a password each time. Then I have to connect through 'connect to server' before the NFS will register and the drive will appear in /volumes/ or on the finder sidebar. Perhaps someone could advise me on a way to get around this small issue?

Secondly, when the drive is mounted I have no problems in actually connecting to the drive and transfering files to and from the NAS storage in finder. However, when I try to perform a backup to the drive, it just tells me that "Time machine could not complete the backup" "the backup disk is not available".

Could anyone suggest some work arounds here ? Thanks muchly!

2. bubbleboy450 macrumors newbie

NFS time machine

Time machine is only desgined to back up to AFP (apple file protocol) shares by default. You will need to download iTimeMachine to enable network backups to disks besides time capsules.

You can read more about it here. Life Hacker Time Machine

Some users have reported that they need to first create the initial sparse bundle on the backup drive before time machine works properly. This link should have more information for what you want to do.
    NFS SMB Time Machine