NGP vs. Nikon 3100 vs. iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Pgohlke, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Pgohlke macrumors 6502

Ok so right now I have about $800 saved up from being a cheapskate and saving all my birthday and Christmas money for the last 2.5 years. My birthday is coming up and I'll probably get around $200 in monetary gifts.

So my question is get a Nikon 3100 and get an iPhone 4 or wait to see what the price on the NGP is and get that and the camera? I have a ps3 for real gaming and was wondering if the iPhone or NGP would be more useful?

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

First of all, the NGP is not a phone (its 3G capabilities are solely intended for wireless data) and it would be silly to get commit to a 2-year service agreement with AT&T or Verizon on an iPhone 4 if you don't need it for its traditional phone capabilities.

The NGP is gaming machine with extended multimedia capabilities. The iPhone is a communications device with extended multimedia capabilities. Distinct difference.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have a Canon EOS T1i, a Canon SX 110is and an iPhone 4. I'm so happy to have a decent camera with me all the time and rarely ever carry the other 2. Now and then I will carry the T1i for special occasions but the iPhone 4 has replaced the SX 110is completely. The flash on the iPhone 4 is very mediocre but I'd rather take an available light photo and use gimp or iPhoto to adjust exposure later than miss a photo because I didn't have a digicam with me at the time.

If you are considering an iPhone, keep in mind At&t now offers tiered data and if you are careful, you can get away with the $15 plan. This is a substantially lower total cost of ownership than iPhone users have been paying over the years. Verizon is launching at the more traditional $30 mandatory data plan price point. If you don't need a phone at all, you might consider a different device, but if you need a phone, iPhone 4 has a decent camera (if you don't mind the weak flash) and the tiered plan pricing helps with the cost.

4. Pgohlke thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks sound like I should get the iPhone and the camera. The NGP would be cool, but if its going to cost $500 i would rather get the phone that can play some decent games also. Another question the current iPhone 4 (gsm) can be jailbroken and unlocked right? Because I wanted to use it on cincinnati bell. You can't beat unlimited data, texts, and 200 min for only $30.