Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Matthews is definitely a good example, as is Marner. For me their peril is not that they don't really care, they're just scared to put themselves on the line because they don't want to lose their chance to be stars. They know playoff hockey is grittier and meaner and they shy away to avoid injury.

The stars just aren't afforded the space they would be during the regular season and so they're completely shut down. That does open the door for others though, which is why I believe Nylander got so many goals.

Same thing happened with McDavid against the Jets. The Jets played physical and McDavid couldn't do what he does best.

On the other hand, you've got a guy like Ovechkin, who isn't afraid of the physical play and knows how to deal with it so he's capable of showing up in the playoffs.

The refereeing is definitely different in the playoffs as well. A lot more is overlooked, which caters to grittier teams.

Just my two cents
All valid.

it's my frustration with these two.

you have a chance at the cup. And you're not elevating yourself to the expected levels of play. Playoff hockey has always been tougher, grittier, faster. Players are often playing with their last chance to win. They're playing with a all or nothing.

But not the Leafs top line. "just another game". It's why Montreal kicked it up another level and was able to counter their offense and shut them down. Montreal isn't some phenomenal teams. Price is playing stellar, and they're playing the perfect underdog story.

When the leaf's played against the Capitals. You could almost excuse it. They were mostly rookies and there were zero expectations.

When they choked the following year in game 7 against Boston. You could excuse it because Boston was a serious legit contender, and the Leaf's were only year 2 of rebuild. it h appens

When they CHOKED AGAIN in game 7 against Boston the next year? Ok, now we're seeing a problem. But again, Boston was a legit contender. and there were legit missing pieces.

When they couldn't qualify last year? Ok, MAYBE covid... but.. that's 0/4

This year was either "put up or shut up"... they went up 3-1... and lost the series 3-4.

Time for these kids to shut up. stop acting like superstars. Stop PREENING. and either elevate their ****ing game when it counts, or get out, because you're just wasting our money.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Not sure if anyone else was watching the Islander game tonight, but that was one of the best saves I've seen all year and it wasn't from the goaltender. Pulock might have saved the series with that save. It was a pretty good game too. I hope the Islanders and Habs manage to win their respective series.

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
Still pissed that the Avalanche got eliminated. They were my pick to win the Cup this year. Now I'll catch a game here or there, but I'm not actively following the NHL Playoffs anymore. The Tampa vs. NYI - Game 4 did have a crazy ending though.

Reactions: sjsharksfan12

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Not sure if anyone else was watching the Islander game tonight, but that was one of the best saves I've seen all year and it wasn't from the goaltender. Pulock might have saved the series with that save. It was a pretty good game too. I hope the Islanders and Habs manage to win their respective series.
Habs all the way!

Reactions: Expos of 1969

buttongerald

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2016
St. John's, Newfoundland
When they choked the following year in game 7 against Boston. You could excuse it because Boston was a serious legit contender, and the Leaf's were only year 2 of rebuild. it h appens

When they CHOKED AGAIN in game 7 against Boston the next year? Ok, now we're seeing a problem. But again, Boston was a legit contender. and there were legit missing pieces.

Being a Bruins fan, Spring became one of my favourite seasons. I got to watch WrestleMania AND see my team eliminate the Leafs on multiple occasions. I'll never forget the elimination of the 2019 season, as I was watching with my partner from work, he's a MASSIVE Toronto fan and his reaction to their loss is permanently etched into my brain:

"****ing Toronto old man it's the same thing every god damn year, can never get passed the ****ing Bruins."

trillionaire

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2018
Canada
Being a Bruins fan, Spring became one of my favourite seasons. I got to watch WrestleMania AND see my team eliminate the Leafs on multiple occasions. I'll never forget the elimination of the 2019 season, as I was watching with my partner from work, he's a MASSIVE Toronto fan and his reaction to their loss is permanently etched into my brain:
Being a Leafs fan has been rough for a long time now, but the last few years have been particularly frustrating. I think a lot of us Leafs fans thought this year it really would be different, but alas it wasn't to be.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Being a Leafs fan has been rough for a long time now, but the last few years have been particularly frustrating. I think a lot of us Leafs fans thought this year it really would be different, but alas it wasn't to be.

I feel bad for Joe Thornton. He just can't get that elusive cup.

trillionaire

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2018
Canada
I feel bad for Joe Thornton. He just can't get that elusive cup.
For Thornton it was all about the cup. For Spezza it's about playing in Toronto, though I'm sure he'd love to win one as well.

I didn't think we were built to be a final-four team. Seeing the playoff format this year though we definitely had a good opportunity to go deep, just like Montreal is doing.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I wonder if anybody bet on Montreal beating Vegas. Was definitely money to be made there.

I'm sure someone did. I for one am relieved that the Habs are moving on. I think I'm rooting for the Habs because I would like to see what happens when a Canadian team does actually win the Stanley Cup. It might be a harder choice if the Isles win tonight, mainly because I do like the way the Isles play.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
For me I’m just delighted that the games will have earlier starts. I live on the east coast, the furthest point ON said coast, and I would have had some late nights watching the finals if it had been Vegas or Colorado.
An 8PM start is 3AM for me so I will ignore the sports report on the TV news here and watch the game delayed by a few hours on the package I can get for 35 Euros for a month.

Reactions: decafjava

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Go Habs Go. My sentiment exactly. Not sure how I will get games here.
I will be using a provider called Viaplay but it may only be available in the Nordics. But Switzerland will have a provider I would think. I have not used Viaplay but friends have and I will be able to watch live or hours later at my convenience.

trillionaire

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2018
Canada
Canadien's Vs. Lightning. I'd say it's going to go to 7 games.
I know the Habs have been underestimated in every round, but I still don't think they can control the firepower that is the Lightning. It's going to be really difficult for the Canadiens to shut down Tampa, they're so explosive. I'm gonna go with Tampa in 6 to be conservative, though I think they can do it in 5.

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
Watching game 2 right now. I really enjoyed the Canadiens/Knights series. It was nice to see Montreal beat expectations and I enjoy seeing Vegas taken down a peg. So far it looks like the Lightning are going to dispatch the Habs quickly, but Montreal has surprised us all during this year’s playoffs.

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
That terrible giveaway with less than 5 minutes left negated a great effort overall by Montreal. They need to win both at home now.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Just bringing this thread back up because the new season is starting soon. Not sure how the Sharks are going to be this year, but I've been liking what I've been reading and hearing about Eklund. I hope he makes the team. As for the Panthers, hopefully they are challenging Tampa for the division.

Reactions: buttongerald

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Just bringing this thread back up because the new season is starting soon. Not sure how the Sharks are going to be this year, but I've been liking what I've been reading and hearing about Eklund. I hope he makes the team. As for the Panthers, hopefully they are challenging Tampa for the division.
What is the local opinion of Erik Karlsson? In my opinion, Ottawa was very wise to get rid of him. His best days are over. I lived in Ottawa during his heyday and he was exciting to watch. But he has a bit of a off-putting personal life...dumped his young Swedish wife for a seemingly silicone enhanced Ottawa girl and then there was the very strange legal case between her and Mike Hoffmans girlfriend.

Anyway, on to the season. Montreal is my team. Doubtful they can repeat last years performance.

Last edited:

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
What is the local opinion of Erik Karlsson? In my opinion, Ottawa was very wise to get rid of him. His best days are over. I lived in Ottawa during his heyday and he was exciting to watch. But he has a bit of a off-putting personal life...dumped his young Swedish wife for a seemingly silicone enhanced Ottawa girl and then there was the very strange legal case between her and Mike Hoffmans girlfriend.

Anyway, on to the season. Montreal is my team. Doubtful they can repeat last years performance.

There is hope that he can be the EK that was promised. For me, the more I see him the more disappointed I am with that trade, and how it set the Sharks as a franchise back. I'm hoping he will be the Norris caliber player he was in Ottawa, and this team will need it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.