Nice 2006 aluminum 23" Cinema Display with box worth $200?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SoundOfWinter, Nov 22, 2011.

1. SoundOfWinter macrumors newbie

As the title says, I have a chance to buy a nice aluminum 2006 23" Cinema Display that still has the original box for $200, locally. Is this a great deal or just about average? Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Do you mind posting a pic? it has slipped my mind.. Also you will likely need an adapter..

3. SoundOfWinter thread starter macrumors newbie

Still waiting on the seller to send me some pictures. What kind of adapter would I need? I was under the impression that the aluminum ACDs used standard DVI, do they not?

4. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Yes, so you'd need the 29$ MiniDisplayport/Thunderbolt to DVI

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

6. SoundOfWinter thread starter macrumors newbie

This isn't a Thunderbolt display though. It would be hooking up to my Mac Pro.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Correct although I can't recall which DVI variation is used. If you have a Mac Pro with dvi or you're using Apple's whatever to dvi adapter, you're fine.

It depends on the condition and the overall unit. If your work involves color correction, the older cinema displays could be considered superior to the thunderbolt display (simply because LED is problematic) although places that do a lot of color grading work have pretty much moved away from Apple displays in general.

With the 23" it doesn't hold its contrast well with the luminance dialed down, and there was quite a bit of unit to unit variation (also it's difficult to get a perfect neutral grey). This means you should see how much brightness is left at its max brightness level (which could be a good indicator of use). You'll want to check the uniformity because these varied quite a bit in that regard, and you will want to ensure that neutral colors look reasonably neutral (profiling helps but it won't solve everything).

Keep in mind here this could be a very old display. Even if the backlight is still strong, some of these do see other part failures. I've seen intermittent vertical lines on a couple 30" units in the past. Basically they're okay displays but they're priced up a bit by Apple fans. If you want it, I would suggest you examine the unit carefully before you hand over cash. I wasn't making it up regarding unit to unit variation either. If you put several of them side by side, even if they were purchased at the same time, they can look significantly different.

Yeah the thunderbolt display actually isn't compatible with the mac pro at all.

8. weckart macrumors 68040

Pretty much every 23" display I saw in the Apple Stores near me had a horrible pink cast. I would not bother unless you really like the look of the alu bezel to match your Mac Pro can view before you buy.
    Newer IP panels can be had for about $300.

9. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

check for the pink cast as has been said and ghosting, especially against white backgrounds. my acd23 has that strip along the edges although after tweaking with the profiles, it's a lot better. but still a sore point for me. if in perfect condition, i'd grab it in a shot.

10. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Even better. It will work with your computer out of the box.

11. The-Pro macrumors 65816

its a great deal.
    On ebay in germany 23" cinema displays goes for 350 euros minimum, up to 600 euros