nice design for mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Acorn, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

2. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

3. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

I can't see where the power supply would go, or where the same amount of hard drives would go in that design. Basically it just looks like a scaled down rounded off Mac Pro case.

4. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

5. Wardenski, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012

Wardenski macrumors 6502

6. Jst0rm macrumors regular

7. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Maybe if the bottom of the case were very open / cheesegratered, and then the fan slot on the rear was extremely high on the CFM scale. In fact, that might be pretty sweet to have the air flow from the bottom.

8. 808? macrumors 6502a

Looks a lot like a Western Digital - My Book Studio!

9. KingJosh macrumors 6502

KingJosh

looks like a plastic dell spray painted silver. Horrible imo

10. Vylen macrumors 65816

Agreed. I immediately thought it looked too similar to the crappy old Dell towers, only silver.

11. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

Worth mentioning again that the current design is still top notch. Design that stands the test of time.

12. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

13. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Would look okay for a PC. For some reason it reminds me of an XBox.

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You guys are hilarious. The vast majority of people who buy something like the mac pro are most likely not concerned with its aesthetic appeal. To a degree people like to purchase something familiar to them that fits their needs. If they've migrated to likely hardware, they're less likely to pay the additional expense to go back without a guaranteed advantage. I don't see it happening. I've seen so many people with painfully slow computers (not just by computer model, but actual performance of their machine using installed applications) yet they don't seem to notice what is wrong. If they migrate to something like an imac or mini, they're unlikely to go back. They're also unlikely to replace it much faster unless they're facing internal component failure. It's just not the kind of market that favors trendy products.

Edit: I meant people who migrated from an earlier mac pro or G5 tower to a newer mini or imac.

15. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

16. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

It does remind me of an XBox 360.

Personally, I don't mind it. I prefer the Mac Pro chassis, but like this one.
    It does look like cooling would be an issue. I only see 1 fan in the back. But a bottom breather could work.

I know it is just a mock-up render that someone made, but is it supposed to be as tall as a 30" cinema display? It's hard to judge the intended size.

If it is as big as the current Mac Pro case, then I don't see much point. Reduced cooling and no handles on top to carry it by.

If it were as small as an XBox, then I could see something like this being the mythical X-Pro that people talk about.
    More powerful than a Mac Mini; weaker and smaller than a Mac Pro.

I doubt anything like this will see the light of day, but not bad for a Hackintosh.

17. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

18. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

This.
    Wonder if we can get a "Redneck" model in primer finish. Such bad design. User who actually likes this should go get an Android Motorola thing cause it looks "like" an iPhone. Taste is very rare unfortunately.

19. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

The thread is about style, so it's fitting that people comment on the STYLE.

20. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The handles on the Mac Pro define "Style".

21. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Lol seriously... just one vent? The current design at least has the cooling right.

22. snberk103 macrumors 603

Only if you filtered the air intake, and then made it easy to clean the filter..... bottom vents would be a dust vacuum. Unless the machine was lifted several inches up off the floor.

23. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

wonderspark - you missed it on your suggestion to open the bottom up for airflow - most unlike you.

PETA would be all over your ass for all the dust bunnies sucked in and shredded in the fans - have you no compassion?

:confused:

24. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The thread title references design, which can mean quite a bit more than just style. You'd have to fit computer parts within that shape. It was more that I think those who really consider aesthetics in their purchasing decisions are the ones who already moved away from the mac pro. Those that are left might still have an opinion on the look, but I don't think it has a lot of influence on what they purchase.

25. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Hahaha, well as was mentioned, it's a great opportunity to build an easy-to-clean filter design into the case. It could slide out the front, be blown/cleaned out, and re-inserted easily. Problem solved on dust *and* cooling.