Nice desk chair that matches my iMac?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by vaporeon, May 16, 2011.

1. vaporeon macrumors newbie

I've been really struggling to find a nice office chair. I want something that looks nice but is still comfortable. My room is white and I only have a small amount of space surrounding my desk, so really I need a white chair that won't stand out too much.

- Really want it to be white, but would probably consider light grey, yellow or a nice turquoise
    - Fake leather/Vinyl is perfect, no real leather, fabric is okay
    - Price range up to about £150/$250 but might go a little higher
    - Must be shipped to UK
    - Really important that its comfortable for a few hours, as this is ultimately why i need a new chair. Would really prefer one with a tilt when you lean back.

So far this is my best bet:

[​IMG]
    Its £139 and from the UK, white and PVC. However, if only I could find the low-back version it would be perfect as I'm a little worried this will be too big for my space.

Here are some images of my favourite chairs however I am unable to find any of them in the UK in faux leather.

[​IMG]
    Eames Lobby Chair, white or yellow

[​IMG]
    Low back eames inspired, I've found this in the US but nowhere in UK :(

[​IMG]
    Would probably settle for this style but worry about comfort? This is £72 but higher quality of the same style go to £150.

Oh, and please nothing like this:
    link
    link
    link

Sorry for the long post and for being so fussy, but ive been searching forever and have almost given up :') If any of you have nice setups/chairs feel free to post a picture!

2. Xeperu macrumors 6502

I was going to suggest a Herman Mirra, but then I read "150-250" and I couldn't think of anything that wouldn't suck.

Get a stool.

3. vaporeon thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, thanks. Well I'm not looking for anything super-ergonomic. I'd like it to be comfy. Mine right now is hard plastic, no armrest or adjustments and cost me £8, so I just want something I can lean back in comfortably that has a clean design. (sadly don't think a stool quite fits this.. but is probably comfier than what i have currently)

4. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

Eames=AWESOME!!!
    I love all 4 chairs pictured.
    Those are good prices for what seem to be good replicas.

5. vaporeon, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

vaporeon thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh I knoww! I just wish I could afford it!

& Yeah, its pretty easy to find similar replicas all over the place, but its just real hard to find any that are faux leather and available in the UK. :(

Just remembered another chair I really like the look of:
    Amy office chair from John Lewis

[​IMG][​IMG]

Seems pretty much ideal, not too tall or short and looks pretty comfy, a little over budget but i'd stretch.. sadly only available in leather and cant seem to find anything like it anywhere else. :(

6. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

That sucks. There are plenty here in the US but the shipping cost goes way up for overseas freight.

I'm planning on getting a replica Eames Leather Lounge Chair & Ottoman in a month. I can't wait!

7. vaporeon thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah you're lucky, they look seriously comfy! I love the eiffel chairs, they're beautiful, its a shame they'd make a rubbish office chair. ;-;

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Get something with padded armrest, unless you never use armrest.

9. vaporeon thread starter macrumors newbie

I only lean on armrests slightly with one elbow usually, so I think I'd be okay without padded ones although im sure it would be pretty comfortable. However I think if I keep asking for more specific things I'll definitely never find a chair I like. :(

10. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

... I have to sit in the chair for 8 hours a day. I don't care about looks as long as it's good for my back and doesn't hurt my legs.

11. ann713 macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

Love the looks of this one. Where can I find this in the US?

12. FrancisABoyd macrumors newbie

Are you sure you wouldn't rather go for a nice ergonomic chair in a stunning black?

[​IMG]
    ergonomic chair

13. ann713 macrumors 6502a

^I surely hope that was a spam post. Definitely not the OP's taste, I wouldn't touch it a 10-foot pole. :)

14. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

^ Slap dual beverage holders on that chair and I'll have a new gaming chair :p

15. vaporeon, May 17, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2011

vaporeon thread starter macrumors newbie

Try searching 'eames ribbed office chair' in Google shopping (or somewhere else), it should come up. The one I pictured is from Tesco Direct, but not sure if they ship to US. If you want a cheap one that looks similar, maybe try Target as I saw some like that on there.

Haha, although they look super comfy, something as bulky as that would dominate my room entirely, I also find the weird little protruding headrests kinda creepy...

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I guess I shouldn't mention that I use a plastic lawn chair for my home office :eek:

17. vaporeon thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, I couldn't stand anything without wheels

18. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

Designed for/by Stephen Hawking?

19. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

It looks a bit like something that plugs into your brain!

A friend of mine has one of these chairs for his home office and has highly recommended it. It's faux leather, but has no wheels. It's from John Lewis, so available in the UK. It's just under £160. It also comes in black and red.

[​IMG]

Link to the white version

20. vaporeon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion! It looks nice, although without wheels would probably be a problem, so may be better to just get this one as it looks about the same comfort but has height/tilt adjustment and wheels:

[​IMG]

I do love John Lewis though! They always have nice stuff.

21. FrancisABoyd macrumors newbie

r1ch4rd, I'm sure they could make it plug into your brain if you want them too. ;-) I guess the style is a bit over-the-top but they have other more subdued ergonomic chair styles too.

I would think that trying to work using a lawn chair would just plain hurt...

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I could not use that chair either.

If I could not swivel or rock a bit, my time at the keyboard would be very limited.

23. ScouseGeek macrumors newbie

What table is that? I was looking for somthing just like it.