nice easy question from a newbie

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by maffster, Feb 13, 2012.

1. maffster macrumors newbie

hi all

just a quick question, probably really dumb but i've searched everywhere and cant find a difinitive answer so i was hoping you guys could help me out.

my wife has an iphone4 which is stuck in recovery mode. unfortunately due to me changing laptops we dont have a back up on itunes..

so my question is...if i click the restore button in itunes to restore the phones original settings (and hopefully get the darn thing working again!) will it delete my wifes pictures, music, contacts etc from the phone?

i really cant believe that it would but she's been told by various people that it will.

thanks in advance :)

2. camardelle macrumors 6502

I'm thinking her stuff is gone once it's reset but there are many here more intelligent than me.

I would plan for the worst. Sorry. :(

3. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Hey, did your wife back up the device to iCloud using iOS5 before all of this happened? The chances are, if you guys did.. You shouldn't need to worry.

Alternatively, yes - I think you're going to lose everything.

If your not aware of how iOS5 can benefit you, (this is probably the greatest thing about it for accidents like this).. Take a look at: http://www.apple.com/iphone/icloud/

4. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

No backup = ... yeah no backup..

If you are lucky, her content is back-uped to iCloud. That is if she has set it up to backup there.

If not, your choice is to restore it or try all the programs like TinyUmbrella, Fix Recovery, etc. and get it out of Recovery Mode.

5. maffster thread starter macrumors newbie

nope no back ups anywhere i'm afraid. though i still dont understand why we would need one. every single phone i've ever had does not delete contacts, pictures or music when restoring factory settings....

6. camardelle macrumors 6502

That's the beauty of this forum. Lots of info about programs that can help in dire times. Kudos to the members who help all the time. :apple:

7. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Aaaah, #firstworldproblems. Restoring a phone to it's factory settings is what the iPhone does. "Every other phone" obviously didn't restore it to how it was when it came out of the factory.

But yeah, no back up, is = yeah, no back up.

8. jwm2 macrumors regular

Well i'm not sure, that data might be safe, but for sure your apps and settings are toast. I really don't know enough about the filesystem to give you a straight answer but it looks like you will find out either way. Good luck, report back to us what you find out.

9. maffster thread starter macrumors newbie

good news folks, i'd read somewhere about pressing & holding the on/off button & home button at the same time for 10 seconds then pressing the home button for 2 seconds afterwards.

had been trying that for around an hour in various different attempts and all of a sudden bingo! it worked!

needless to say i have very quickly sync'd & backed up the phone now.

thanks for all your help guys, wife is happy and my life will now be quieter!

all the best :cool:

10. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

Make a backup on iCloud! Just to be sure:)

It's good to hear that it is working now. Any idea why the iPhone was in Recovery Mode loop?

11. Ishmumrhmn macrumors regular

Better than iCloud, I suggest you use dropbox for saving photos and idrive lite for contacts.
    Both are 100% free